It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The zoo giraffe is giving birth right now

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 15 2017 @ 08:55 AM
link   
I know people have been watching this for months. I think it's happening now.

youtu.be...

edit on 15-4-2017 by dfnj2015 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 15 2017 @ 08:56 AM
link   
a reply to: dfnj2015

Link not working.

posted on Apr, 15 2017 @ 08:57 AM
link   
a reply to: IAMTAT

Just google it. The father is pacing back and forth. The baby giraffe is moving. So amazing!

posted on Apr, 15 2017 @ 08:59 AM
link   

Here is a new link:
www.youtube.com...

EDT: Looks like we have a baby G.
edit on 15-4-2017 by IAMTAT because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 15 2017 @ 09:16 AM
link   
Is that baby giraffe a US citizen now, don't let the SJW's try to deport it bavk to it native country in the name of Saving the Planet....

posted on Apr, 15 2017 @ 09:21 AM
link   
The wife and I watched it come out. I wonder if that is the father giraffe pacing in the other room, it looks over the window occasionally and did touch noses with the mother.

The wife is still watching it, she laughed just now as the little giraffe stood up then fell over.

posted on Apr, 15 2017 @ 09:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse
The wife and I watched it come out. I wonder if that is the father giraffe pacing in the other room, it looks over the window occasionally and did touch noses with the mother.

The wife is still watching it, she laughed just now as the little giraffe stood up then fell over.

Yep, that's the baby-daddy, Oliver, in the next stall.

posted on Apr, 15 2017 @ 09:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: MotherMayEye

originally posted by: rickymouse

Yep, that's the baby-daddy, Oliver, in the next stall.

The wife just came upstairs and gave me an update, Oliver is five, April is fifteen. This is olivers first kid, he looks so enthused. I think animals do know a lot and he knows this is his kid. I guess after the baby is weaned, it will go to a different zoo so there will not be Imbreeding too close.
edit on 15-4-2017 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 15 2017 @ 09:43 AM
link   
dfnj2015

Thanks for posting this. I missed the birth, but was able to watch him stand up..which was the best part for me. Expected to be 150 pounds and 6 feet tall.

A grown giraffe, which stands up to 19 feet tall, is more than a mouthful for most predators, which keeps most of them at bay. A baby giraffe, however, is much more manageable prey. This means calves must be up and moving quickly -- and they are, right after they're born -- so they can flee with the rest of the herd when necessary.

Giraffes have a rather shocking entry into the world -- they drop about 6 feet from their mom's womb down to the ground. This helps them take their first breath, the ground acting as a proxy for Dr. Camelopardalis, who spanks a newborn on the bottom to start breathing. It takes a giraffe baby a few minutes to get his bearings, during which time his mom licks him clean. Within an hour, most calves are standing and taking their first steps.
fun facts

On the live viewing I watched .. apparently animal rights activists said it was sexually explicit and they were forced to remove the feed. But eventually were able to put it up again.

However, park officials say “animal rights extremists” flagged the video as “sexually explicit,” prompting both to be taken down.

“What this has done is pulled an educational tool away from tens of millions of individuals. … You have harmed the species’ survival more than you could ever recognize,” a zoo official said on a Facebook live video after the takedown.

The official seems to infer that these “extremists” are against giraffes being held in captivity.link

It was really interesting to watch..

Thanks,
blend57

posted on Apr, 15 2017 @ 09:46 AM
link   
a reply to: blend57

Nice Avatar, Your best yet!

posted on Apr, 15 2017 @ 09:47 AM
link   

Nice

posted on Apr, 15 2017 @ 10:19 AM
link   
Thank freaking God. My wife was all aflutter this morning over this.

I love animals....but its been the most excruciatingly boring live feed ever. Im glad they were able to drum up some cash with it, thats a good thing (if you support zoo's, that is)....but i've seen a giraffe give birth a few times so found it rather boring personally.

I can thankfully say the wife won't be trying to make me watch it with her anymore, though.

posted on Apr, 15 2017 @ 11:35 AM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

I've been following it too

Not boring

Hard to believe there was a whole giraffe in there

Everyone can relax now :-)
edit on 4/15/2017 by Spiramirabilis because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 15 2017 @ 12:04 PM
link   
a reply to: Spiramirabilis

Compared to Trailer Park Boys...its like watching the grass grow.

I have low standards for my TV, apparently. I blame Netflix.

posted on Apr, 15 2017 @ 04:33 PM
link   

I saw it!!! Live! Saw the calf being pushed and then falling out. It was well worth the time spent. It reminded me of when my two horse foals were born. I was there at both births, and imprinted them myself.

Watching April, I was literally clenching my abs and guts, like I was pushing a baby out myself. Could tell when she had another contraction coming on --- her ears laid back, her rear legs squatting.......
just the front legs for about an hour --- then the snout, and she's pacing and licking....and, who is the neighbor looking over the partition, is that her mate?

The baby finally fell out --- it was so cool watching it just fall...and then all the water and afterbirth, and the baby.....started moving, then struggled, and struggled, and moved, and tried and tipped over and tried again and went splat, and tried once more -----had his haunches under him.....then I had to go finish the taxes......
but then I clicked back and the calf was on all fours!!

SO CUTE!!!
So cool.

Made doing my taxes more sufferable.

edit on 4/15/2017 by BuzzyWigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 15 2017 @ 04:37 PM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

LOL!! If anyone ever questioned your gender, my friend, this post would convince them you are not a woman.

high-five

posted on Apr, 15 2017 @ 04:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: dfnj2015
a reply to: IAMTAT

Just google it. The father is pacing back and forth. The baby giraffe is moving. So amazing!

So, that guy next door was the bull? I thought so. It was poignant to watch how he kept an eye on her, periodically stuck his head over the wall to check on her, and at one point she walked over there and sorta exchanged nostril breath with him. Like horses do. And giraffes. Evidently.

posted on Apr, 15 2017 @ 04:41 PM
link   
six feet and 150lbs at birth. And I'm just a puny human. It would be cool to see them send in a person just for the 'scale' comparison.

posted on Apr, 15 2017 @ 08:37 PM
link   
a reply to: BuzzyWigs

it was awesome. I watched it live, too. Made my day.

In case anyone didn't already know, it's a male.

new topics

top topics

join