It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tales from the Floating Vagabond

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 15 2017 @ 08:34 AM
link   
A while ago, friend and fellow ATS member Greywolf13A told me about a game called Tales from the Floating Vagabond.

It sounded cool but at the time I didn't have the funds for it. I happened to think about it yesterday and decided to buy it.

The Floating Vagabond is a bar built on an asteroid in it's own little dimensional pocket. The owner had obtained a novelty teleportation device and rigged it to target the doors of bars in other dimensions at random. Hapless patrons find themselves in his bar instead of the ones they intended to go to. Madcap adventures ensue.

Your character has special abilities (shticks) that it can do such as:

Schwarzenegger Effect
(The major effect of this shtick is the character‘s seeming inability to feel pain.)

Rambo Effect
(Ranged weapons of all types, be they bows, guns, lasers, spears, or grenades, will always miss when fired at the character from Close or nearer range. At ranges longer than that, however, the character is vulnerable to ranged weapon fire)

Flynn Effect
(This Shtick covers that classic swashbuckler' s maneuver, i.e., grab a rope, chandelier, curtain, or something similar and swing away from danger, or in to the rescue)

Roy Rogers Effect
(The character may ignore all cover and movement modifiers
when firing ranged weapons. Thus, he has the same chance of hitting a target hidden behind a rock while riding his horse as he
would if the target was standing the same distance away on an empty street.)

Trench Coat Effect
(This allows the character to conceal things in his trench coat, duster, cloak, or equivalent. Big things. Lots of things.)

Newton Effect
(Anytime the character is witness to something that does not fit into his scheme of reality (in other words, something that should be
impossible), he can say, "Hey! You can't do that!" and the Laws of Physics take a peek at what's going on and cause anything that should be impossible to stop happening

Merlin Effect
(Whenever the character meets someone new, he "just happens" to know the person's name, date and place of birth, home address, mother's maiden name, shoe size, and what he had for breakfast that morning.)

Valentino Effect
(Members of the opposite sex will throw themselves at the feet of this character. They are willing to do almost anything for him except leave him alone. They will go out of their way to keep the character out of danger, even to the point of knocking him over the head during a firefight in order to drag him to safety)

Bylaw Effect
(A character with this Shtick is a member of one of the most powerful groups since the Illuminati; a trade union. Union rules take precedence over natural laws. This is the only Shtick in which the character can choose the precise effect by deciding which union they are affiliated with.)

Murphy Effect
(Murphy’s law is always in effect around a character with this Shtick, and he can sometimes take advantage of it.)

The Howard, Fine & Howard Effect
(if the character is working in unison with at least one other person, all nonplayer characters they encounter while using the Shtick have
their SMRT and CS scores reduced to 1, and will believe nearly anything they are told.)

John Doe Effect
(This character has “one of those faces.” People always think they’ve seen him, met him, or even that they know him personally. The character is constantly having reunions with long-lost friends he’s never met.)

Rogers & Hammerstein Effect
(Theme music plays when the character makes an appearance. Optionally, the character sings and everyone around him-enemies included-joins in.)

Dolittle Effect
(Like the Valentino effect but with animals.)

"It'd Take a Miracle" Effect
(If a character is in a pickle he can say, "If only_" and it happens, no matter how outlandish it is-provided a luck roll is passed.)

Exher Effect
(This Shtick grants its possessor the ability to temporarily defy the Laws of Physics.)

Since it takes place in an inter-dimensional bar different kinds of drinks are available and each one has side effects that can either aid or hinder your character.

I'm looking for a GM and players. If you're interested PM me and we can set something up.
edit on 15-4-2017 by Skid Mark because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 15 2017 @ 08:40 AM
link   
a reply to: Skid Mark

It sounds cool. I've played a really amazing board game recently. Mansions of Madness 2nd edition with iPad assist. It's amazing and plays really well. In addition to hit points, you have sanity points. Once you go insane, you pick a card for the insanity deck and your win condition changes. It's a lot of fun to play. It's not any game I've ever played.

posted on Apr, 15 2017 @ 08:51 AM
link   
a reply to: dfnj2015

I love Call of Cthulhu. I have 7th edition.

posted on Apr, 15 2017 @ 09:18 AM
link   
a reply to: Skid Mark

Good to see you back Skid!

Hope all is well

posted on Apr, 15 2017 @ 02:28 PM
link   
a reply to: stosh64

Thanks. I've been on and off for a while. I haven't really had time to post threads and stuff because of work. Everything is just fine though. How are you?

posted on Apr, 15 2017 @ 03:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: Skid Mark

Thanks. I've been on and off for a while. I haven't really had time to post threads and stuff because of work. Everything is just fine though. How are you?

Everyday above ground is a good day brother, so I am doing great.

You made my day by posting, missed you!

posted on Apr, 15 2017 @ 03:44 PM
link   

That's right. Every Day on this side of the dirt is a good one.

It's good seeing you too. I'll try to get on more.

posted on Jun, 2 2017 @ 08:45 AM
link   
I finally found a couple of people to play this with. They belong to a facebook group I'm in. We watch these guys called The Invictus Stream play RPGs on youtube.

My character is Pervo the Clown. I've chosen The Trench Coat Effect as my shtick. I've tailored my skills to correspond with something a clown would have. They include:

Target Vomiting (yes, it is what is sounds like)
Throw (Pies?)
Pick Locks (what good carny/circus performer doesn't know this?)
Make Wise-Ass Remarks
Juggling
Whips & Chains (again, what it sounds like)
Con (again, another skill that carnies and circus performers would know)
First aid
Belch for Effect (I'm going to load up on pop and actually try to do this during the game)
Play Instrument [kazoo and ukulele] (I have a kazoo somewhere but sadly no ukelele)

We're playing tomorrow (hopefully). I'm not sure if I'll be able to post video but I'll try.

new topics

top topics

join