It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US successfully tests new nuclear gravity bomb

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 14 2017 @ 07:59 PM
link   
What better way to show the world who has the biggest balls than to test one of these bad boys at a time like this.

It seems things are getting a little hot under the collar.

www.rt.com...

The test was intended to evaluate the weapon’s “non-nuclear functions” and the capability of the F-16 fighter to successfully deploy the bomb. An F-16 fighter from Nellis Air Force Base dropped the “non-nuclear test assembly,” the NNSA said in a statement. “The successful test provides critical qualification data to validate that the baseline design meets military requirements,” said Brigadier General Michael Lutton, NNSA’s principal assistant deputy administrator for military application. The NNSA is part of the Department of Energy, which is charged with managing US nuclear weapons.

posted on Apr, 14 2017 @ 08:00 PM
link   

posted on Apr, 14 2017 @ 08:06 PM
link   
a reply to: CaptainBeno

This is just the latest test. It's not a new bomb, but an upgrade of the existing one. The B61 is the primary nuclear weapon of the US, but prior to the -12 the guidance on it wasn't that great. This kit includes a GPS guidance system, similar to what the JDAM and other bombs use. The first of three test drops was conducted in 2015.

posted on Apr, 14 2017 @ 08:12 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

Would that mod get them through a doorway / tunnel entrance?

posted on Apr, 14 2017 @ 08:13 PM
link   
a reply to: Snarl

It would depend on the angles, but theoretically it will have similar accuracy to a JDAM. They found during one test that it works well as a bunker buster.
With the improved accuracy, they can go with a smaller yield, and have less fallout too.
edit on 4/14/2017 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

edit on 4/14/2017 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 14 2017 @ 08:16 PM
link   

Through Kim's window no doubt......ahem?

posted on Apr, 14 2017 @ 08:23 PM
link   
Nice that the US can develop nuclear weapons while denying it to most of the world.

posted on Apr, 14 2017 @ 08:26 PM
link   

posted on Apr, 14 2017 @ 08:32 PM
link   
a reply to: roadgravel

It's called the NPT for a reason. And they're not developing a new weapon, they're updating an old one.

posted on Apr, 14 2017 @ 08:36 PM
link   

Nice that the US can develop nuclear weapons while denying it to most of the world.

Name a few countries who you believe should have nuclear weapons, and why they should contribute to more nuclear weapons on the planet way way way surplus to requirements?

Deterrent? Peace through superior firepower? 1984?

The planet is already feeling far too 'prisony' don't you think?

posted on Apr, 14 2017 @ 08:37 PM
link   
And the other guys don't get their first one. I understand the idea that creating a nuke for the sole purpose of bombing someone on day 1 is not good. But then that puts it into the real of thought police.

I suppose what I am pointing out is the view from the other man's side. One country holds nukes over others heads and works to deny them an equal field. I wish nuclear weapons never existed.
edit on 4/14/2017 by roadgravel because: typo

posted on Apr, 14 2017 @ 08:40 PM
link   

It's not just one country though. The NPT was signed by dozens of countries, including North Korea before they withdrew from it. They all agreed that there don't need to be more countries developing nuclear weapons.

posted on Apr, 14 2017 @ 08:44 PM
link   

Well signing does make it a bit a deal breaker. It's good that those who are in the club have been careful but some day something may well go wrong. I suppose I believe in Murphy's law.

posted on Apr, 14 2017 @ 08:58 PM
link   
If U.S. intelligence focuses on eliminating leader(s) of threatening groups and nations via covert assassination, nuclear weapons should never be needed again.

posted on Apr, 14 2017 @ 09:28 PM
link   

There is no end for death and hatred for mankind.

posted on Apr, 14 2017 @ 09:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: roadgravel
And the other guys don't get their first one. I understand the idea that creating a nuke for the sole purpose of bombing someone on day 1 is not good. But then that puts it into the real of thought police.

I suppose what I am pointing out is the view from the other man's side. One country holds nukes over others heads and works to deny them an equal field. I wish nuclear weapons never existed.

The "other man's side" would be that of a hardline communist or another Hitler.
Who would you rather have the bomb, us or them, your philosophical argument is immaterial in this regard.

posted on Apr, 14 2017 @ 09:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: roadgravel

Gravity bombs is one of the oldest military technology there is.

My personal favorite is the variable yield nuke.

Almost Star Trek.

link   

I thought this quote from the article was interesting:

"In order to placate his critics, in the media and in politics, Trump has given a blank check to his generals. So they are having a grand time right now, and they are testing all the weapons they've been wanting to test, but not been able to," said Brian Becker, director of the anti-war ANSWER coalition

link   
This sure does increase the delivery capability of our nuclear arsenal now. I hope our rivals are paying attention. Any base in the world could be a potential nuclear launch pad now.

posted on Apr, 14 2017 @ 09:42 PM
link   
a reply to: worldstarcountry

Sure creates the opportunity to create the fourth layer of the nuclear triad.

Drones in the sky 24/7.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join