It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is the threshold for a hoax?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 14 2017 @ 04:21 PM
link   
Case in point: Criminal Charges Filed Against Obama’s IRS Thug Lois Lerner

The title itself isn't really true. Lois Lerner was appointed to the position at the end of 2005, well before former President Obama's first term.

Nor have charges yet been filed, according to any other source I can find - only the request for the DOJ to file charges.

There are certainly other sources for this information, but the chosen source is clearly misleading in this regard. Does that make it a hoax?
Can threads even be a 'hoax' in the Mud Pit?
edit on 16Fri, 14 Apr 2017 16:24:11 -0500America/ChicagovAmerica/Chicago4 by Greven because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 14 2017 @ 04:24 PM
link   
a reply to: Greven

A person can be hired for a job BEFORE later being chosen to become a "thug" while in said job.

posted on Apr, 14 2017 @ 04:25 PM
link   
a reply to: IAMTAT

It's an example - if you want to talk about that subject, please do so in that thread.

This thread is asking for some clarification on whether threads fall under the banner of 'hoax' when they have things wrong in a number of respects.

posted on Apr, 14 2017 @ 04:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: IAMTAT

A person can be hired for a job BEFORE later being chosen to become a "thug" while in said job.

Nice stretch, but you forgot to blame hillary.

posted on Apr, 14 2017 @ 04:29 PM
link   
a reply to: dukeofjive696969

Please discuss it in that thread. This thread is about what might fall under the definition of 'hoax.'

I've seen it somewhat frequently lately, where an article/thread is partially false - I'm seeking clarification as to when it crosses the line into hoax territory.

posted on Apr, 14 2017 @ 04:32 PM
link   

It's a good question, and not the first time that particular member (among others, but hey...a track record is a track record) has posted titles and sources that are at best completely and utterly misleading, if not outright fabrications, yet somehow continually allowed to stand "as is."

Perhaps (thought I doubt it) we'll get an answer here since it's not being asked in a thread, but I won't be holding my breath. I think the OP you're referencing hides behind the thin, almost nonexistent, protection of "it's not my headline, I'm just quoting the article I found....which I found by going out and finding the most biased, narrative supporting headline I could possibly find even though it's obviously a complete fabrication."
edit on 14-4-2017 by Shamrock6 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 14 2017 @ 04:32 PM
link   

The opening line under the title in that thread 'clarifies' , recommending is different than filing.

...the House of Representatives is recommending charges...

Lots of members do that and get away with it. Tabloid style eye catching headline and then quick retraction in the first paragraph.

So thanks for pointing it out.

Its not technically a 'lie' if you quickly 'clarify' it...
edit on 14-4-2017 by intrptr because: spelling

posted on Apr, 14 2017 @ 04:33 PM
link   
What you are saying about that sample thread is that the event described in the OP is genuine, but the thread title is misleading.
I don't think, myself, that should qualify it as a hoax. The post itself needs to be describing something which is untrue- though of course the Mods themselves might operate by different criteria.

I also think it is legitimate to call her "Obama's" if the work complained of was being done under Obama.

posted on Apr, 14 2017 @ 04:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: dukeofjive696969

Well, if it's that important to you.

Hillary is a liar and a thief.

THERE!...Because you asked so nicely.
But don't gettin' greedy...THIS thread really isn't about Hillary.
edit on 14-4-2017 by IAMTAT because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 14 2017 @ 04:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: dukeofjive696969

Well, if it's that important to you.

Hillary is a liar and a thief.

THERE!...Because you asked so nicely.
But don't gettin' greedy...THIS thread really isn't about Hillary.

Me ask somehting nicely, thats a stretch too.

link   

Considering that Obama's birth certificate is still considered valid material by ATS, I'd say that political-oriented hoaxes never land in the hoax bin.

link   
a reply to: Shamrock6
Hmm, and I notice that member "Swills" corrected the thread author and received fewer stars than the people who agreed with it. I suppose people would rather hear what they desire to than the truth?

posted on Apr, 14 2017 @ 04:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: SargonThrall
a reply to: Shamrock6
Hmm, and I notice that member "Swills" corrected the thread author and received fewer stars than the people who agreed with it. I suppose people would rather hear what they desire to than the truth?

If you listen to any main stream news on a daily basis you learn how to lie from the best liars in the world. What kind of example do they set, blasting lies all over the planet 24/7?

posted on Apr, 14 2017 @ 04:42 PM
link   

posted on Apr, 14 2017 @ 06:01 PM
link   
Actually I'd like to see a couple of Mod's weigh in on this. I've of course like everyone else seen threads get moved to the Hoax Section but never knew the criteria for it?

Interesting question!

posted on Apr, 14 2017 @ 06:32 PM
link   
Some topics are hoaxes...and they end up in the hoax forum.

Some topics have either misleading titles, iffy research or other parts that may or may not be the truth.
It doesn't always make them actual hoaxes.

Members are encouraged to vet and disprove or prove what is presented.

Members are also encouraged to alert to potential hoax topic.
The thread will be discussed....and it may or may not get moved.

posted on Apr, 14 2017 @ 09:21 PM
link   

The evidence that this post in question is a HOAX depends on the content of the article.

The content of the article (as well as the "properly cited title") is false, and blatantly so.

That is why the post should be moved to the HOAX bin.

However, clickbait ...

/sigh

posted on Apr, 14 2017 @ 09:27 PM
link   
Thread about a thread...

do we have safe spaces on ATS now?

posted on Apr, 14 2017 @ 09:44 PM
link   
a reply to: DontTreadOnMe

Thanks for the explanation, much appreciated!

posted on Apr, 15 2017 @ 05:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: JacKatMtn
Thread about a thread...

do we have safe spaces on ATS now?

Perfect reply. I hope 'some' people take that to heart, coming from you.

I personally favor the writer of the OP that is 'the subject' of this thread. That particular member is utterly brilliant in his approach to threading on the boards. It clearly shows in his stats that I am not the only one with this perception.

And for those who would cast aspersions on the legitimacy of material presented to the audience: Please sharpen the other side of the sword ... or just go read something else.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join