It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How To Deal With A Crappy Boss...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 14 2017 @ 09:41 AM
link   
Another poster just posted a thread asking this question, and since I think I have stumbled onto the perfect life hack for the situation I figured it might be worth sharing with the rest of ATS.

As a disclaimer this prob won't work if the offender is the owner or related to the owner. If that's the case your probably SOL and should find new employment, but if not this works every time....

So here is how you deal with a B of a manager....

First off, anytime the crappy manager tells you to do something that improves the buisness, do it without complaint.

You cannot let the "straw that broke the camels back" be over something where the manager was even partially right. Because if you explode over being asked to do something that improves the buisness, when you end up in front of your boss's boss. You will just look like your just being lazy and insubordinate..

However a crappy manager who likes to be mean to people will do it when it is not in the best interest of the buisness.. they are "beeps" by nature and won't be able to help themselves.. so you just have to bid your time and await you shot. They will absolutely give it to you...

When they finally act unprofessional when it is not in the businesses best interest, and they will. That is when you explode and make it a bonifide HR issue...

Make sure that when you both finally end up seated in front of the owner, it is the crappy manager who looks unprofessional and like they are the one hurting the buisness.

They will have no choice but to apologize and promise it will never happen again..

I had one riding me a couple years ago and just waited.. but they can't help themselves.
So one day while I'm doing my job the manager basically calls me a dumb @$$ in a mean natured derogatory way...

The second he said it I spin on my heels and walk right up to him obviously pissed and say

" excuse me would you please repeat that?"

And his jaw dropped.. it took him about 2 seconds for the gears to turn and him to realize I had him exactly where I wanted him. If I felt like pushing it at that point , he would end up in front of the owner stammering through an explanation of why he had taken it upon himself to be unprofessional and disrespect an employee..

He wasn't stupid so he was instantly like,

"I apologize, that was unprofessional and it will never happen again.."

I just said thank you and walked off.

He has never said another negative word to me.

I've done it more than once and it works every time.

Real quick they realize your not food, and like any other bully, they will move on to easier prey...

But you have to wait for your shot..blow up when the situation is even money and the manager will win.

posted on Apr, 14 2017 @ 09:49 AM
link   
Its a simple solution: work hard. I've always taken the strategy of "outperform and outlast". It works well for me. Even better, each skill i've picked up along the way is stored away in a growing toolbox.

Ill admit, success takes a small amount of obsessiveness in your personality. You have to be willing to focus as long as it takes to outperform.

posted on Apr, 14 2017 @ 09:53 AM
link   
There are other ways as well.

Document conversations in emails back to the Crappy Boss detailing the conversation to protect yourself when things again blow up.

Note who was around you when Crappy Boss flips out cause it's helpful for HR to have confirmation of the situation.

Get Crappy Boss to email you instructions, cause yeah, paper trail of insanity.

Always remember, what YOU think is harassment doesn't always fit the legal definition, it's just Crappy Bad Behavior. Which is legal, but still crappy.

Did you know in the US a Boss can actually make you run around in a dunce cap as long as he/she makes everyone do it and you are being paid by the company, IE on the time clock?

YUP

It's true.

posted on Apr, 14 2017 @ 09:56 AM
link   
I would advise against this in a corporate environment. Large corporations have what I call the "management cult", wherein they will always support and protect each other even when one of them is wrong.

They will throw you under the bus the second it is expedient for them to do so--when you threaten to undermine the cohesion of the cult.

It's similar to law enforcement's "thin blue line". If you find yourself being abused in a corporate environment, your best course of action is to leave.

Amicably (at least, on the surface), if possible.

posted on Apr, 14 2017 @ 09:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan
Its a simple solution: work hard. I've always taken the strategy of "outperform and outlast". It works well for me. Even better, each skill i've picked up along the way is stored away in a growing toolbox.

Ill admit, success takes a small amount of obsessiveness in your personality. You have to be willing to focus as long as it takes to outperform.

A @$$ boss doesn't care about production usually, good bosses do and the owner does.

Being a hard worker isnt any protection from some one who is a jack @$$ by nature and likes screwing with people.

posted on Apr, 14 2017 @ 09:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: NthOther
I would advise against this in a corporate environment. Large corporations have what I call the "management cult", wherein they will always support and protect each other even when one of them is wrong.

They will throw you under the bus the second it is expedient for them to do so--when you threaten to undermine the cohesion of the cult.

It's similar to law enforcement's "thin blue line". If you find yourself being abused in a corporate environment, your best course of action is to leave.

That is why I said you have to wait until the manager is 100% wrong..

50% wrong doesn't cut it.

Hell 80% wrong might not cut it..

That's where the caviate of " if it's in the businesses best interest" came from..

But an @$$ of a manager will give you that opportunity, you just gotta be patient.

posted on Apr, 14 2017 @ 10:01 AM
link   
a reply to: NthOther

Also how do you pay bills when your quiting any job that has one bad manager?!?!

How many jobs does that leave left lol?!?!

posted on Apr, 14 2017 @ 10:01 AM
link   
a reply to: JoshuaCox

*see my other reply to you above

I'd say just do your job without complaint and with a smile....a lot of times these bosses end up gone anyway. Unless as said...they are the owner, or owners kid or lover....

posted on Apr, 14 2017 @ 10:07 AM
link   

Once in the past I had a really crappy job at a fast food joint owned by a really young spoiled brat. His uncle bought him the restaurant. He was a complete arrogant ass, it didn't start out that way, but within a few months it came to that point. He would be very rude and temperamental and snap at myself (the manager at the time) and the staff as well. I tried to talk to him about it, but that would make him snap even more, so I would drop it every time. Then one day I had an ingenious idea, I bought a digital recording device for myself and the other 6 employees. We all came to him at once and told him from now on at work we would be carrying a recording device that was always recording while we were at work. I also slid him a business card of a lawyer I had spoken with about the issues.

From that day forward he rarely would show up to the store, and when he did it was for brief moments and he wouldn't say anything other than "Hi, how are you guys" and then be on his way.

There are several ways to deal with an unbearable boss, but that's a personal example of how I did in the past.

posted on Apr, 14 2017 @ 10:07 AM
link   

Those kinds never last long. Unless its a small business, HR is a good place to start building a case.

But squeaky wheels end up fired, too....so you have to be careful.

I've outlasted some really, really crappy bosses in my life. But i've never found a boss that would screw with someone who continously makes them look good....outperform, then outlast. Its really just that simple. I had one site director in the call center world get fired because it became apparent I was doing all their work for them. So they just put me in his seat and fired him.

posted on Apr, 14 2017 @ 10:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: JoshuaCox

Also how do you pay bills when your quiting any job that has one bad manager?!?!

Making you feel like you're trapped and have no other options is a primary tool of abusive managers in retaining employees.

It's part of what makes them abusive. They treat you like a battered spouse; like you can't make it somewhere else, and therefore you stay.

posted on Apr, 14 2017 @ 10:30 AM
link   
Where I'm at now I am fortunate that I have a fantastic Boss. Despite this he made a couple of "questionable hires". He tends to see the good in people. So working with these chuckle-heads has been pretty awful.

However!

Being num-nuts one who got internally promoted just spent 3 months kissing up and deciding he was worth more money despite never having done this new job before and now only 3 months into it. He showed up this week after having job searching and gave HR an ultimatum. Match the new offer or he's gone.

I won't miss him, Management declined his offer.
Rightfully so as his skill set didn't merit a pay increase.

The other guy is ow looking to be promoted into the empty spot but won't take it without a pay bump. It's a lateral move and this guy has also only been around three months. Yes ,he on paper is certified, but only in the last month. He's advocating for a pay bump commensurate with what would be a work history of at least 3 years in this same job.

I won't miss him either.

I just feel bad for my Boss who spent all this time mentoring these two fools and I'm guessing come Monday I will have some hand holding to do. (voluntarily) Alto being female I'm still going to have to say "I told you so". But nicely.
Plus try to pick up some of the slack.

posted on Apr, 14 2017 @ 12:07 PM
link   

The same can be said about union too if you aren't union. My husband as corporate where some of the employees are union has seen it work that way.

posted on Apr, 14 2017 @ 12:08 PM
link   
You quit...

posted on Apr, 14 2017 @ 12:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: Edumakated
You quit...

Husband is looking at that situation now. The buffer boss between himself and the pea-brained micromanager who does not do people at all retired for good, and unless there is a new buffer installed, he may seek a new job in-house or just shift to a new job altogether.

The latter would kind of suck because he has nearly a 20-year career invested where he's at, but he won't tolerate working for someone who literally has NO human touch in his management style at all.

posted on Apr, 14 2017 @ 12:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

originally posted by: Edumakated
You quit...

Husband is looking at that situation now. The buffer boss between himself and the pea-brained micromanager who does not do people at all retired for good, and unless there is a new buffer installed, he may seek a new job in-house or just shift to a new job altogether.

The latter would kind of suck because he has nearly a 20-year career invested where he's at, but he won't tolerate working for someone who literally has NO human touch in his management style at all.

If the problem is not resolved, all you can do is quit. Sometimes if you want a better work environment, promotion, or better compensation, you have to just grow a pair and quit/find a new job.

posted on Apr, 14 2017 @ 12:29 PM
link   
Where I work everyone - the manager included - is too busy playing things by the book to have the luxury of singling anyone out.

It's called job insecurity.

posted on Apr, 14 2017 @ 08:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: JoshuaCox

Making you feel like you're trapped and have no other options is a primary tool of abusive managers in retaining employees.

It's part of what makes them abusive. They treat you like a battered spouse; like you can't make it somewhere else, and therefore you stay.

I usually see the opposite..

People treated as disposable, and easily replaced ...

I doubt any manager we are talking about cares if they stay.

new topics

top topics

join