It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Disappearing places.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+22 more 
posted on Apr, 14 2017 @ 05:47 AM
link   
Have you ever visited a location, only to never be able to find it again?

My Story:
(this actually happened 2x, once the 2 of us, once we had his brother with us, same place though)
Me and a friend used to go ditch/creek fishing out in the country. A cooler of food, a cooler full of beer, etc. We would leave about noon, fish till 5pm or so, hit a local bar for lunch and a few beers (we usually began drinking around 2), wait out the heat of the day till about 7 or 8, then go back fishing till the midnight.
(Yes, we were DUI.......It was the 80's, country roads, etc. Not saying it was right, but it's what we did)

We were on a road going toward a little town (5-6 miles away) where we usually had lunch at, a gravel road, wooded, no houses. We came upon a gravel road with a sign that said something like ''Country Inn'' and an arrow pointing down this new road (neither of us remembered seeing the sign, or that road leading into the woods, before then). Needless to say, we turned down the road, and after about 2 miles, came upon a pole barn type building with the usual beer neons in the windows, the obligatory nascar/Budweiser canvas banner on the outside of the bldg., a picnic area, and a creek

There were 5-6 vehicles, including a mid 60's Ford 4wd truck, all raised up/big tires (this will figure later). We parked, went in, people were having lunch, beers, etc. The bar maid, whom I've never met before, greeted both of us by name. We ordered lunch, and an old guy in the bar (his truck, it turned out) asked about an acquaintance of mine. A couple people recognized us(?), we talked about local people, events, etc.Everyone seemed friendly.

It was suggested that we try the creek on the edge of the property, saying it had nice catfish in it. We went out, fished till 10 or so, went back into the bar. Same people inside - nobody came or left. We sat there and drank until 2 or 3 in the morning. As we were getting ready to go, debating on parking the truck and crashing there, the red truck guy said he would drive us home in my truck, and have someone follow him to give him a ride back.

Some facts/observations, easier to do it this way:

--- Upon awaking the next day, my friend staying the night at my place, we checked our cooler that we put the fish in. It was full of catfish, most still alive.
---I literally, after having a meal, and a snack later, drinking there for hours, had almost as much $ in my wallet as when I left. I remember I had about $80.00 in my pocket after buying beer, bait, and ice. I had about 70 and change in my pocket the next morning. Bottle beer was about $1.00 then, shots were $2.00. I would guess that the way I felt upon getting home, I had at least 20 beers in that place. I do remember ppl buying us drinks, but I also remember repaying in kind.
---Upon asking the acquaintance about the old man w/ the truck, he said that sounded like his uncle, and the truck he had right before he died some time earlier.
---The bar maid seemed to know me quite well, asking about my (then) g/f, work, and saying that we were related. I know all my relatives, and even asked my grandfather, who was alive at the time, about her. He told me that he didn't know her, and he knew not just our relatives, but everyone local, from 80 years of living there.
---I was raised in that area, lived there the first 40 years of my life. I do not remember that road, etc. It's not on county maps. Nor is the creek. Rural people will get this: I've looked on road maps, county plat maps, and recently, Google Earth. No sign of the road or the creek on either.
--- Ive asked several people about this place. A few seem to remember hearing ***something*** about a bar in the woods, but that was back in prohibition days (NW Indiana, where, supposedly, Al Capone had several tiny backwoods bars/brothels/distilleries.) But this was a modern bldg, neon beer signs in the windows, pole barn construction, electricity, The vehicles, including the Ford truck, were nothing special, exactly what you would expect to see in any rural bar parking lot. A few have heard about a modern day bar out there, none claim to have been there, but one retold a description similar to ours, 2nd or 3rd hand, of the bldg/picnic area/creek.
--- The county has no record of a ''Country Inn'' or anything similar.
---Me and my friend found the place one other time, SAME PEOPLE THERE. SAME BAR MAID. Exact same circumstances, except when we found it the 2nd time, fishing was rained out right when we got in that area.
--- It had the old style, as I called them, ''paranoid pay phone''. You dial the number, and if it's local, wait for the other person to answer, then you put your money in it. I called my house, talked to my g/f. She remembers the call, could tell i was in a bar. The phone was 10c, 2 nickels only. Payphones in town were 25c at the time.

After that, we've tried to find it several times, while fishing/drinking, sober, on the way elsewhere, etc.

This was near the town of Demotte, Indiana, east of town. Now, there are a few out of the way bars out there; Ramsey's Landing ( a verified Capone location), Gentleman Toms, Baums Bridge, and the old Hornet's Nest(closed) and Kniman Tap. All of those were in little settlements (4-5 houses, grain elevator, etc). This place was none of those. It was all by itself, and was further east, and south of any of those.

Literally the only disagreement between my friends' recollection, and mine, is the name of the bar maid. I believe her name was Dolores, he says it was something else.

What made me think of this was I saw a show on the paranormal channel on Roku about an elderly couple who drove between Phoenix and Albuquerque took back roads, and always used to eat at a certain cafe in the middle of the dessert. When the wife passed, the man made the trip, tried to find the cafe, asked someone, and was told there was no cafe nearby, never had been.

Here's what I think: I believe in guardian angels. Perhaps the bar maid, or the old man, somehow lured us there,kept us drinking until we were too sloshed to walk damn near, to keep us from driving drunk and killing ourselves, or someone else. Until we admitted finally that we were too drunk to drive. (TG I don't drink at all now). What other explanation makes sense? It wasn't a hallucination, unless 2 ppl can share the same one, for hours. Implanted / false memory? IDK if thats possible. If so, then why? Did we stumble upon something not to be seen, and have that done? If so, what was out there, middle of farm land/woods? If it was a secret lab or something, c'mon, small town America, someone would know about it.

I welcome you opinions & comments, your ideas what happened, etc. If you've had a similar experience, would love to hear it.

edit on 14-4-2017 by Brywilson2 because: Spelling error

posted on Apr, 14 2017 @ 05:58 AM
link   
Interesting. I know over the years I have read other tales that have this same plot line basically. If I recall, most of the ones I read took place in Europe. Not sure if I recall any American ones. Some people had vacationed at the same spot a few times only to never find it again etc.. like a overnight stay at a small inn between destinations.

While I'm sure it must be a like burr in the back of your mind, at least you can take comfort that others have had this experience. I know it would bug me for sure.

I'll be interesting in hearing what other members have to say.

Didn't it strike you odd right away to be greated by your names from the barmaid? Weren't you curious enough to ask her how she knew that?
edit on 4/14/17 by onehuman because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 14 2017 @ 06:08 AM
link   
My guess is an ET abduction followed by implanted memories.

posted on Apr, 14 2017 @ 06:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: onehuman

Didn't it strike you odd right away to be greeted by your names from the barmaid? Weren't you curious enough to ask her how she knew that?

It did seem unusual, but not exceedingly so. That is a farm town area, several small towns near each other. An example: I dated a girl from the next town over in high school, different town & school system, etc. My hometown was maybe 2,000 ppl, tops, her town was same size.
Point being, we knew people in other towns. Kinda like seeing the same person in the store, know their name, or even just recognize them. Or people know who I am, but i don't know them.

What got me, she said we were related, and she had a distinctive look, my grandfather would have known her, and he didn't recognize her from description.

In those days, with my partying, it wasn't unusual to walk into a local bar and be recognized, and I didn't know them........esp drinking.

posted on Apr, 14 2017 @ 06:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: TEOTWAIKI
My guess is an ET abduction followed by implanted memories.

Thought of that.

Wouldn't someone else have seen a ship?

I had a few bucks less the next morning, where did that go? (ET needed pepsi and smokes? LOL, sorry, popped into my mind)

The cooler full of channel cats too, those were real, cleaned those the next morning.

posted on Apr, 14 2017 @ 06:37 AM
link   
a reply to: Brywilson2

Mike Dash (in his booki "Borderlands", 1997) reports a similar incident involving a teahouse near Teheran. Tony Clark, and an Iranian companion, once stayed at a tea-house run by a mr Hovanssian. Given the excellent quality of their stay there, they took great care of noting where it was, jotting down the mileage and noting a peculiar pile of stones that marked the way there. Like you, they had a great time and a ridiculously low bill to pay. When Tony and his friend later tried to find the same tchae-khana it had vanished, and local residents were sure there had not been a tea-house there nor anywhere in the vicinity for 40 years.

I had a similar experience when visiting London with my wife. We had been walking all morning and were hungry. We were just planning to go into a pub, when we saw an A-board on the pavement with a text that announced a new place to eat. It had an arrow pointing towards a door. When we opened it, a quite narrow staircase was visible, I believe the stairs had a red carpet. We climbed up and ended up in a room, that was filled with people all dressed in 1950's clothing, whom were picking food from vitrines. They were quite modern, thoug in ha 1950's style, and were filled with bread, salads, meat etc. and you were allowed to pick as much as you liked, which we did. Excellent food. The till was one of those typical 1950's style all-knobs-and-a-crank things. The wife and I had a very good, very inexpensive lunch, and we considered ourselves lucky having found this place, just on the day it opened and to add to our luck being charged 1950 prices as a bonus. We figured this was to celebrate the opening. They had done a great job: it was really totally utterly in the 1950s style, and clearly we were the only ones that slightly stood out with our (then) 1990's clothing. We figured that all the others present were invited guests, that had dressed like that for the occasion.

A year later we tried to find the same place, but though we were both quite sure that we were in the right street, could not find the place anymore, nor was there anybody around that knew about the existence of such a place. We were flabbergasted.

However, it may well be so that it really was a (shortlived) new enterprise, after all, we payed with 1990's pounds and had we really made a time-travel of kinds, they probably would not have accepted our money. Still, the experience made a lasting impact on us, and even now, almost 30 years later, I can still clearly recall the room and the excellent food.

posted on Apr, 14 2017 @ 06:44 AM
link   

Cool story! Divine intervention!

posted on Apr, 14 2017 @ 07:47 AM
link   

Thanks for the post. Its a welcome departure from politics and all the gloom and doom. Plus its a downright cool story. Living rural, I can relate to many things you mentioned.

As I was reading, my first thought was a time slip but that don't really fit. Although I dont really subscribe to the alternate reality/universe idea, that does seem to fit your experiences. Some kind of temporary portal opening. Do you remember if the air seemed different or unusual smells when you turned down the road? Scent, for me, is a powerful memory kicker. The second time, you all got rained out. Was it raining elsewhere in the county or just while you were there?

Just some thoughts. Great story.

posted on Apr, 14 2017 @ 08:10 AM
link   

'Sorry, I'll have to put your tale in the questionable bin. You offer a mind-numbing amount of details about a beer-soaked outing or two. It just doesn't work. And I seriously believe in a lot of strange phenomena.

posted on Apr, 14 2017 @ 09:36 AM
link   

There are 2 documented cases I remember...but youll have to search them out for yourself.

1. 2 ladies walking the grounds at the French Palace of Versailles, rounded a corner and were transported to another time where people were dressed in clothes of the French Revolution. They could not find it again, and what they described was someplace that had once existed there, but gone hundreds of years...

2. A couple driving through England came upon a small village, not on any map. After leaving, they went back to find it again...and couldnt. The locals in the countryside had no idea of any such place ever existing.

MS
edit on 14-4-2017 by mysterioustranger because: spl

posted on Apr, 14 2017 @ 09:49 AM
link   
While I'm reading your oratory, it occurred that a couple of things might have occurred.

You were indeed drunk and made up stories to get out of 'dutch'. Or, you were time travelers and experienced being sent back in time.... ie' around the time of "The Twilight Zone S01E30 A Stop at Willoughby" and based your recollections on that....... (refer back to drunk)

Or, that you slipped inter-dimensionally to an alternate location ......... it could happen...
Or your story is 100% true and accurate.......... except for the part of re-locating it after that time you re-located it the second time, that just being ......something, something... . I can certify with 100% accuracy, that has never happened to me......... well everything but the 'drunk' part..

posted on Apr, 14 2017 @ 09:56 AM
link   
Better make that accuracy % more like 75% ...lol

posted on Apr, 14 2017 @ 10:01 AM
link   
That's a neat story--thanks for sharing.

I don't have much to add, as that really has never happened to me that I can recall (although I've had a few of the opposite phenomenon happen to me...deja vu).

Just don't mention the words "Mandela Effect."

I believe her name was Dolores, he says it was something else.

Maybe it was Mulva? Did it rhyme with a woman's body part, or not?

posted on Apr, 14 2017 @ 10:21 AM
link   

20 beers and shots?

Might have something to do with that.

posted on Apr, 14 2017 @ 10:28 AM
link   

My story also revolves around fishing....

On a trip to fish the headwaters of the Rio Grand, I passed thru an old mining town, north west of Creed on Hwy 149. There was a very distinctive water tower in the town.

On a subsequent trip to the same area on the same Hwy....no town, just the water tower. Asked about the town in Creed and the people said there had never been a town or mining camp there and .....no water tower.
edit on 14-4-2017 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 14 2017 @ 10:42 AM
link   

Have you read TUCK EVERLASTING? Good book.

posted on Apr, 14 2017 @ 10:45 AM
link   

Don't worry, you wouldn't be the first to experience this phenomenon, I've seen a man on a bicycle disappear and to this day I can't explain what I saw.

I blame quantum mechanics or M theory for these occurrences, we know that those fields of science work in mysterious ways. There is another tale of a couple who stayed in a motel and went to find it a few days later but only found a vacant block where the motel should've been.

Paranormality is just another form of science in some cases, but not all cases.

posted on Apr, 14 2017 @ 12:06 PM
link   
reply to: Brywilson2
That's really interesting. Assuming you remember correctly, and being already drunk didn't call each other by your names as you walked in or something, it kind of sounds like a time slip. Like you were your grandfather or something and they all recognised you. Your "guardian angel" scenario is plausible too - its possible your psyche fabricated a hallucination that saved you from drunk driving. But your friend saw it too. Although it is possible you both hallucinated the same general scene, but not details. Consider that he remembered the barmaids name differently! Its like a Rorschach test. The general scenario is given, and each of your individual psyches filled in the blanks.

I had a few bucks less the next morning, where did that go? (ET needed pepsi and smokes? LOL, sorry, popped into my mind)

Maybe the sasquatches took it

posted on Apr, 14 2017 @ 03:07 PM
link   
a reply to: Ridhya

such an interesting story! thanks for sharing, I love a good mystery!...2 of you experienced this..and you were there a 2nd time.....I remeber that story about the two british ladies...

wasn't there after much searching..a really really old map was found that had some obscure thing on it that the ladies mentioned seeing that no one knew about.

posted on Apr, 14 2017 @ 03:25 PM
link   

Mandela effect, we are moving back and forth between dimensions now.

edit on 14-4-2017 by SeaWorthy because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join