It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

FGM: Detroit doctor Jumana Nagarwala faces life in jail for female genital mutilation

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 14 2017 @ 03:42 AM
link   
There are some really sick people in this world. She could be shot at dawn, noon, or any other time that is convenient as far as I am concerned.

A doctor in the US city of Detroit has been charged with carrying out female genital mutilation (FGM) on young girls in what is believed to be the first case of its kind in the country.
Prosecutors said Jumana Nagarwala had been performing the practice on girls aged between six and eight for 12 years.

news.thaivisa.com...
Of course she is claiming she did not do it.

In a voluntary interview with investigators earlier this week Dr Nagarwala denied being involved in any such procedure, local media reported.

But prosecutors said she had performed "horrifying acts of brutality on the most vulnerable victims".

Some travelled to her practise from outside the state of Michigan and were told not to talk about the procedure, they added.

www.bbc.com...

posted on Apr, 14 2017 @ 03:52 AM
link   
WOW that's pretty messed up for sure if proven guilty, she is denying doing it as it stands so we will just have to wait and see...I will say this though i would bet a £ to a piece of shizzle that this is more common than most think and not just in the USA either, it would definitely not surprised me if this was going on with Doctors here in the UK and also chunks of Europe too.

Sick barbaric practice, what a thing to put a young girl through

posted on Apr, 14 2017 @ 04:00 AM
link   
Lock the bitch up and only give her a diet of bacon

posted on Apr, 14 2017 @ 04:05 AM
link   
a reply to: 727Sky

The backward BS people do on this planet is insane. FGM is bad enough when being done by Third World tribes and they have the excuse of being ignorant. A piss poor excuse at that. Seeing a western doctor doing this is contemptible.

Bear bile, tiger penis, white rhino horn, FGM etc. Backward traditions. No justification for them

posted on Apr, 14 2017 @ 04:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kandinsky
a reply to: 727Sky

The backward BS people do on this planet is insane. FGM is bad enough when being done by Third World tribes and they have the excuse of being ignorant. A piss poor excuse at that. Seeing a western doctor doing this is contemptible.

Bear bile, tiger penis, white rhino horn, FGM etc. Backward traditions. No justification for them

Being a WOMAN a doctor and therefor well educated......

HOW COULD SHE

There is no excuse. Make an example of her

posted on Apr, 14 2017 @ 04:20 AM
link   
FGM is an affront. It is a hateful and revolting practice.

Sadly, while illegal in the UK there have been few arrests and it's swept under the carpet. See this article from the BBC. Hopefully authorities will be shamed into action by this type of arrest because we know it happens, and we probably know who is doing the grotesque mutilation. Mothers are complicit and should be prosecuted if their child has this happen to them. No "ifs" and no "buts". Where these people are not UK citizens they should be thrown out.

BBC in FGM Sept 2016

The failure to successfully prosecute a single case of female genital mutilation (FGM) in the UK is a "national scandal", the Commons home affairs select committee has said.

posted on Apr, 14 2017 @ 04:22 AM
link   
My question is, would she or did she have it done to her. Usually people do the opposite in life what they preach about.

posted on Apr, 14 2017 @ 04:24 AM
link   
a reply to: eletheia

I had the notion that she might have done it with best intentions. She could have thought it was better if she did it under anaesthesia and in clinical conditions rather than the brutal way it's usually done.

She denies all knowledge which means you're right. She's done it for backwards reasons and faces a life sentence. Denying it makes the whole thing more tawdry than it already was. *

*assuming she's found guilty

posted on Apr, 14 2017 @ 04:29 AM
link   

a reply to: eletheia

I had the notion that she might have done it with best intentions. She could have thought it was better if she did it under anaesthesia and in clinical conditions rather than the brutal way it's usually done.

She denies all knowledge which means you're right. She's done it for backwards reasons and faces a life sentence. Denying it makes the whole thing more tawdry than it already was. *

*assuming she's found guilty

Does she have a child that is a girl?

posted on Apr, 14 2017 @ 04:29 AM
link   
come in...come all...

genital mutilation in the US...for 12 years running.

Cultural enrichment at it's finest.

Can I have more of the same please ?

posted on Apr, 14 2017 @ 04:35 AM
link   
727Sky

A bit more information in this article:

A Detroit emergency room physician was charged Wednesday with mutilating the genitalia of two 7-year-old girls in what is believed to be the first case of its kind brought under federal law. Jumana Nagarwala of Livonia was charged with female genital mutilation, a five-year felony, and transportation with intent to engage in criminal sexual activity, a 10-year felony, according to a complaint unsealed Thursday in U.S. District Court.

Agents reviewed records for the Minnesota phone and learned from cell tower data that the phone was near motels in Farmington Hills on Feb. 3 before being returned to Minnesota the next day.

Hotel records helped show two families, each with a young girl, stayed at the hotel on Feb. 3. Surveillance video from the unnamed hotel show two adult women and two girls checking into the hotel.

Seven days later, an FBI child forensic interviewer talked to one of the girls, who said she was brought to Detroit with a second girl for a “special girls’ trip,” according to the FBI.

After arriving in Farmington Hills, the girls were taken to a doctor because “their tummies hurt.”

Detroit News

Why aren't the parents charged as well? They knew it was illegal? Just..I don't know how a parent could knowingly let this happen to their child.

Thanks,
blend57

edit on 14-4-2017 by blend57 because: Forgot to add the second quote..

posted on Apr, 14 2017 @ 04:36 AM
link   
a reply to: MarioOnTheFly

Don't forget male circumcision. It's been around for centuries. Christians, Muslims and Jews stand by the practice.

posted on Apr, 14 2017 @ 04:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: musicismagic
My question is, would she or did she have it done to her. Usually people do the opposite in life what they preach about.

When a child abuser is caught the first defense appears to be that .... well they

had also been abused too as a child etc.....

From personal experience I can categorically refute that pathetic excuse!!!

posted on Apr, 14 2017 @ 04:39 AM
link   
a reply to: Kandinsky

Christians ?

I might not be up to date with the latest religious practices. Remind me...are Christians doing it also ?

posted on Apr, 14 2017 @ 04:42 AM
link   

No. I was wrong on that.

posted on Apr, 14 2017 @ 04:44 AM
link   

Don't forget male circumcision. It's been around for centuries. Christians, Muslims and Jews stand by the practice.

Circumcising, Ideally, it's a hygiene issue for males.

Can't use the same argument for FGM tho.

That Doctor, however, should loose her licence, and should also have charges as a sex offender, on top of what ever else the DA chooses.

I won't be surprised if the DA lets her off easy tho, considering I'm sure people will get to him up there in Michigan. Large population of immigrant Muslims up there; Especially around Deerborn.

edit on C17444528 by Cygnis because: (no reason given)

edit on C17444839 by Cygnis because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 14 2017 @ 04:54 AM
link   
a reply to: Cygnis

In some Jewish circles it's done with teeth.

a reply to: musicismagic

I don't know. Let's hope not.
edit on 4.14.2017 by Kandinsky because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 14 2017 @ 05:07 AM
link   
God created humans, in human eyes god is perfect, humans start hacking bits off bodies that god created??....

Religion, what is it good for???, absolutely nothing...

Mark my words in a decade this will be the next big thing that authorities refused to tackle, I bet because it will be viewed as "racist" if they question the practice publicly..

Situations like this show just how backward some cultures in the world are and how uncompatable these acts are with western values..

If saying that makes me a bigot then so be it...

RA

edit on 14-4-2017 by slider1982 because: sp

posted on Apr, 14 2017 @ 05:12 AM
link   

Don't forget male circumcision. It's been around for centuries. Christians, Muslims and Jews stand by the practice

I don't agree with male circumcision either, but female genital mutilation is not some cosmetic removal of a flap of skin, as in male circumcision. If male circumcision involved slicing off the "knob", then men would perhaps be more appreciative why there is a difference, and why this cannot be compared.

Here. let someone else explain from a UK source... Nothing cosmetic about this barbaric practise.

There are four main types of FGM:
Type 1 (clitoridectomy) – removing part or all of the clitoris.
Type 2 (excision) – removing part or all of the clitoris and the inner labia (lips that surround the vagina), with or without removal of the labia majora (larger outer lips).
Type 3 (infibulation) – narrowing of the vaginal opening by creating a seal, formed by cutting and repositioning the labia. Other harmful procedures to the female genitals, including pricking, piercing, cutting, scraping or burning the area.

Source

posted on Apr, 14 2017 @ 05:20 AM
link   
a reply to: paraphi

Don't worry. I'm well aware of FGM as it's tangential to my occupation. In the UK, it's flagged to an agency and taken very seriously.

The Jewish custom I was pointing to was metzitzah b'peh
As bad as FGM.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join