It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The US is #1 in the world (in hip replacement surgery costs)

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 15 2017 @ 12:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: jjkenobi
So does anyone on ATS personally know ANYONE that has paid $20,000 to get a hip replacement? My insurance isn't the best, and even it has a $12,000 cap per year for all medical costs (meaning once I've paid a total of $12,000 out of pocket that year for that individual everything else is covered 100%). The closest example I have is a coworker got a knee replacement a couple months back and paid $1,200 out of pocket.

I had mine done 18 months ago, total replacement with a titanium/ceramic composite prosthetic. My insurance covered all of the surgery and 3 days of inpatient treatment. The most expensive part of my procedure was the walker that I used for 2 weeks and the month and a half of PT.

Honestly, it's been more expensive the last year because something is wrong with the new joint and I'm in more pain than I was before the surgery so the copay and prescription costs are what are killing me right now. The surgery itself though, was less than $1000 USD out of pocket and about $600 of that was physical therapy.

With that said, if medical costs weren't so out of control in the US, the average persons insurance premiums would be significantly lower because the insurance provider would have assurances that there would be a cap on costs at some point in time.

posted on Apr, 15 2017 @ 07:37 PM
link   
A big part of the cost for a hip replacement is making the parts.

Any machinist with a CNC machine of the right type could make the parts.

There are many more expensive rules and regulations on making the hip replacement parts from the FDA then making aircraft parts from the FAA.
And the shop making medical parts can not do anything but medical parts.
a shop making aircraft parts can make anything they want outside of aircraft parts if aircraft orders are down.
www.regenexx.com...

posted on Apr, 15 2017 @ 08:27 PM
link   
Those of you who said lawyers are the cause of the high price are totally wrong. Compared to other countries, US surgeon's salaries are much higher (and no this doesn't result in better outcomes).

Plus, I bet that figure the OP quoted is before the insurance and medicare adjustment - which could reduce it up to 75%.

new topics

<< 1   >>

join