It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US Drops MOAB Bomb in Afghanistan

page: 37
<< 34  35  36    38  39  40 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 14 2017 @ 11:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: D8Tee

originally posted by: TheScale

originally posted by: intrptr
a reply to: TheRedneck

Yes, the shock wave initiates above ground. But shock waves don't just stop when they hit a different medium.

Stopped, no, reflected yes, especially from the ground.

When you want to affect something directly with explosives the charge needs to be placed in direct contact. Even a short distance would be a waste of explosives. Especially 314million dollars, lol.

They been doing this forever with caves and tunnels in the mountains of Afghanistan, usually putting a bunker buster gps guided munition directly into the entrance. Has way more effect than this device ever would.

This drop was for show.

(imo)

the bombs they drop in the entrances are generally not bunker busters, they are thermobaric bombs whos shockwave will travel down the tunnel shattering anyones body thats inside.

The MOAB isn't thermobaric (fuel air explosive).

The 21,700-pound [9,500 kilogram] bomb contains 18,700 pounds of H6, an explosive that is a mixture of RDX (Cyclotrimethylene trinitramine), TNT, and aluminum.

The MOAB weapon is based upon the same principle as the BLU-82 "Daisy Cutter", except that it is larger and has a guidance system. The weapon is expected to produce a tremendous explosion that would be effective against hard-target entrances, soft-to-medium surface targets, and for anti-personnel purposes. Because of the size of the explosion, it is also effective at LZ clearance and mine and beach obstacle clearance. Injury or death to persons will be primarily caused by blast or fragmentation. It is expected that the weapon will have a substantial psychological effect on those who witness its use. The massive weapon provides a capability to perform psychological operations, attack large area targets, or hold at-risk threats hidden within tunnels or caves.

no it wasnt but im sure its shockwave was pretty intense nonetheless and wasnt far off. in anycase it was a reply to the guy talking about bunker busters being dropped in cave entrances, not about the moab.

posted on Apr, 14 2017 @ 11:18 PM
link   

Brain dead cretins...

It's only missing a link saying "Would you like to know more?"
edit on 14-4-2017 by Aazadan because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 14 2017 @ 11:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust
a reply to: D8Tee

Could someone elaborate on this statement?

""It is expected that the (MOAB) weapon will have a substantial psychological effect on those who witness its use. The massive weapon provides a capability to perform psychological operations, attack large area targets, or hold at-risk threats hidden within tunnels or caves.""

What is the "psychological effect"? I've seen this term used over and over again, in connection with the MOAB explosion, but none of the news stories elaborate.

well if u ever witness something so horrific and devastating that is beyond comprehension it tends to frighten people. so they are talking about fear and whatnot. if that squad of guys that just went out were obliterated without even seeing the enemy or firing a shot it discourages others to try and do the same thing.

posted on Apr, 14 2017 @ 11:30 PM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

One MOP, not 'hundreds'. Because the blast would be 'mostly contained' below ground.

So you want to take out a single tunnel instead of all of them. Why?

TheRedneck

posted on Apr, 14 2017 @ 11:33 PM
link   
a reply to: carewemust

Trump used one less than 3 months into his Presidency. Was Obama so inept as to not know what artillery we have after 8 years?

Actually... maybe, since he also believed there were no chemical weapons in Syria...

TheRedneck

posted on Apr, 15 2017 @ 01:59 AM
link   
a reply to: Bedlam

Read? Perhaps. I just get a rise when people like BASSPLYR come on making provocative statements just to attract attention and some absurd form of street cred.

If you have strong data points. Offer them. Or leave.

Otherwise you appear to be an attention wh*re. Provide data or don't respond. Especially with "I know something you don't know" stuff. Sheesh. If you really did, you wouldn't be here.

And if your an asset read/write on ATS. Death wish. Hope they have great encryption. Even with that they're chances are less than average.

Do you underestimate the degree of attention seekers on this site with base level military knowledge combined with keen conspiracy ideals, and college level writing skills (something this site sorely lacks)? I think you may. Too many actors. Too much BS. for a poster to prattle on and on about his hidden secrets without sharing anything of use is the opposite spirit of this institution. It is by nature obfuscation, useless gossip in the same vein as the cult of celebrity.

posted on Apr, 15 2017 @ 03:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: chaeone86
a reply to: Bedlam

Read? Perhaps. I just get a rise when people like BASSPLYR come on making provocative statements just to attract attention and some absurd form of street cred.

If you have strong data points. Offer them. Or leave.

Yet, your very own supposed relatives, all supposedly in the community in one form or another, by your own testimony, do this:

Get us all in the room and pour some whiskey, they'll all prattle on about secrets. Political ones with secrets on influence and congressional intrigue. Military types with secrets on weapons, tactics, tec.

It's a lot of "you don't know what I know" and "you don't know what tricks we have up our sleeves".

Ask for clarifying data points- it's met with "hey fam, I said I have secrets. Wouldn't be so secret if I told you!"

So. You say your very own relatives, who you feel are indisputably privy to information, do EXACTLY what you say is an indication of falsehood. Sort of puts a new spin on things, I'd say.

Especially with "I know something you don't know" stuff.

"Ask for clarifying data points- it's met with "hey fam, I said I have secrets. Wouldn't be so secret if I told you!" "

Sheesh. If you really did, you wouldn't be here.

Sergeant White Crow here. Another absolute down in flames. Next!

And if your an asset read/write on ATS. Death wish. Hope they have great encryption. Even with that they're chances are less than average.

I imagine this parses in some universe.

Do you underestimate the degree of attention seekers on this site with base level military knowledge combined with keen conspiracy ideals, and college level writing skills (something this site sorely lacks)? I think you may.

This one's a sort of subtle double or triple negation.

Try reading posts. You'll sort out, over time, who's on the money and who's not, and which subjects they're more informed at and which less.

posted on Apr, 15 2017 @ 04:24 AM
link   
a reply to: TheRedneck not an Omaha supporter , but apparently you don't keep up on your current events, considering it was his administration that ordered all of the chemical weapons there to be removed...

Which was then backed by the UN and ENTIRE US intelligence community that they had been removed ....the same one now saying magically they do have chemical weapons and used them...

The only one Ill informed are the ones buying in to the see-saw of intelligence info pushed to sway public opinions from one thing to another in order to facilitate support for more state sponsored deposing of world leaders ...

edit on 4/15/2017 by ManBehindTheMask because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 15 2017 @ 06:11 AM
link   
Speaking in a strategic theory...
MOAB delivery system is a joke against a country able to take down a too expensive plane like NK.
Only a ship or two crammed with hundreds of MOAB sized Tomahawks would make any difference.
So the only message is that Trump is enjoying his new toys and that they actually and finally let him play.

Am I the first or the only one with an idea of hundreds of MOAB sized Tomahawks stored somewhere near Soul or in Japan?
A thousand of them and you don't need anything else. Let's think big and manufacture them in a month. Don't say it's too expensive compared to other options and years of bloody conflict.

Edit: In fact all you need is an old modified tanker
edit on 15/4/2017 by PapagiorgioCZ because: just saying

posted on Apr, 15 2017 @ 06:39 AM
link   
a reply to: ManBehindTheMask

Wrong thread...

TheRedneck

posted on Apr, 15 2017 @ 07:47 AM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

If you saw something like that detonate, and kill a bunch of your comrades, and destroy your base, you'd probably be pretty messed up.

Except Afghans continue to resist and are in fact winning back territory thought subjugated, after all these years of direct occupation by the US and other NATO members (the longest unjust war in US history).

Afghanistan has been occupied many times by many empires, but never subjugated. No matter how big a bomb they use its still a long term exercise in futility.

Pouring more blood and treasure down a hole in the ground, lol.

At a cost of 314 millions of dollars though, Factories for war are going "Cha-Ching"!

posted on Apr, 15 2017 @ 07:50 AM
link   

If you saw something like that detonate, and kill a bunch of your comrades, and destroy your base, you'd probably be pretty messed up.

Except Afghans continue to resist and are in fact winning back territory thought subjugated, after all these years of direct occupation by the US and other NATO members (the longest unjust war in US history).

Afghanistan has been occupied many times by many empires, but never subjugated. No matter how big a bomb they use its still a long term exercise in futility.

At a cost of 314 millions of dollars though, Factories for war are going "Cha-Ching"!

Yeah, I am a senior and retired. I just sent the IRS a big check so the GOP can kick sick people off the insurance roles and go kill some strangers in some country I have never seen. Do they send birth control with the bombs? All it takes is one man with many wives and bingo 10 more terrorists are born.

posted on Apr, 15 2017 @ 07:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: D8Tee

Yes, the shock wave initiates above ground. But shock waves don't just stop when they hit a different medium.

Stopped, no, reflected yes, especially from the ground.

When you want to affect something directly with explosives the charge needs to be placed in direct contact. Even a short distance would be a waste of explosives. Especially 314million dollars, lol.

They been doing this forever with caves and tunnels in the mountains of Afghanistan, usually putting a bunker buster gps guided munition directly into the entrance. Has way more effect than this device ever would.

This drop was for show.

(imo)

the bombs they drop in the entrances are generally not bunker busters, they are thermobaric bombs whos shockwave will travel down the tunnel shattering anyones body thats inside.

The MOAB isn't thermobaric (fuel air explosive).

The 21,700-pound [9,500 kilogram] bomb contains 18,700 pounds of H6, an explosive that is a mixture of RDX (Cyclotrimethylene trinitramine), TNT, and aluminum.

The MOAB weapon is based upon the same principle as the BLU-82 "Daisy Cutter", except that it is larger and has a guidance system. The weapon is expected to produce a tremendous explosion that would be effective against hard-target entrances, soft-to-medium surface targets, and for anti-personnel purposes. Because of the size of the explosion, it is also effective at LZ clearance and mine and beach obstacle clearance. Injury or death to persons will be primarily caused by blast or fragmentation. It is expected that the weapon will have a substantial psychological effect on those who witness its use. The massive weapon provides a capability to perform psychological operations, attack large area targets, or hold at-risk threats hidden within tunnels or caves.

no it wasn't but I'm sure its shockwave was pretty intense nonetheless and wasnt far off. in anycase it was a reply to the guy talking about bunker busters being dropped in cave entrances, not about the moab.

Which is precisely why the MOAB wasn't a good choice for the task. Its an air blast weapon to destroy surface targets, but was just lying around needing approval by some politician (like Trump) to green flag the military to do whatever is required to end the war in Afghanistan.

lulz

posted on Apr, 15 2017 @ 07:55 AM
link   

It's actually around $170,000 a bomb.

posted on Apr, 15 2017 @ 08:14 AM
link   
It looks like the big bomb did the trick...

They are assessing damage in the area. 3 separate tunnels destroyed, and 90 dead terrorists so far. That's even more significant since they initially thought there were only 36. It just proves how well those tunnels were being used.

And the psychological aspect seems to have done some good too. Kim Jong Un blinked. No nuke tests during todsy's celebration as was expected.

It'll be interesting to see how this gets spun further into more anti-Trump rhetoric, but I feel sure someone will be along to demonstrate, a'la "Yes! We can!"

TheRedneck

posted on Apr, 15 2017 @ 08:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheRedneck

One MOP, not 'hundreds'. Because the blast would be 'mostly contained' below ground.

So you want to take out a single tunnel instead of all of them. Why?

TheRedneck

Some of the 'tunnels' have been there for centuries, dug by hand to facilitate travel on foot thru the mountains instead of over and or around. Afghanistan is mostly mountainous, mostly inaccessible, hardly reachable except by air or trudging up single valley roads that have been there since pre history.

The Russians had the same problems we are, what are we, stupid?

Edit: About 2 minutes into here...

edit on 15-4-2017 by intrptr because: time stamp

posted on Apr, 15 2017 @ 08:17 AM
link   
a reply to: chaeone86

First of all im not a cult of celebrity. Im a cult of personality. Ill tell one plus one is three.

Second. Im no actor. I mean, i wish i was an actor. Actors are good looking. And usually have nice houses. And nice cars. And they get comped meals at fancy restaurants. I want that sorta lifestyle. But alas i look like john belushi and danny devito had a hobbit love child.

Therd. I rite plentie gud. Donet insalt me an tel me my ritting is not collage levle. I have the best rittings.

Fourth. I have lots of street cred. I mean i have no credit in my bank account but street cred for sure. Heck even the liquor store owner lets me buy my 40s of 211 malt liqour on credit cause he knows im just going to be back in an hour to buy more.

Fifth. I use no encrypting at all. I post from an android phone. Right now there is probably a team of analysts sitting around a computer slack jawed at reviewing my xhamster search terms. "Hey LT?....what the hell is a circus clown hoolahoop food fetish? This is the weirdest dude weve ever had to look into"

Now i havent said anything provocative just that i think koreans make the best bbq. And that i ponder if the weather forcast in north korea calls for fog.

But i will say something provocative now. I do know something you dont. And no i wont give hard data points. Because im not an asshole.
edit on 15-4-2017 by BASSPLYR because: (no reason given)

edit on 15-4-2017 by BASSPLYR because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 15 2017 @ 08:22 AM
link   

Some of the 'tunnels' have been there for centuries, dug by hand to facilitate travel on foot thru the mountains instead of over and or around. Afghanistan is mostly mountainous, mostly inaccessible, hardly reachable except by air or trudging up single valley roads that have been there since pre history.

Right. That's called 'soft targets' because they're not massively-thick, steel-reinforced concrete-lined bunkers. MOPs are not needed for such targets.

The Russians had the same problems we are, what are we, stupid?

I guess we are. Oh, wait... we just destroyed the tunnels and killed 90 terrorists. Scratch that.

TheRedneck

posted on Apr, 15 2017 @ 08:23 AM
link   

what is the 314 millions dollar figure for? the bomb? cause it doesnt cost anywhere near that. or money spent just being in Afghanistan?

posted on Apr, 15 2017 @ 08:23 AM
link   

I'll take anti war 'rhetoric' over warmongering and 'official' body counts, any day. Questioning US foreign policy is a good thing, especially in Afghanistan...

Question: If the tunnels are so 'destroyed' and all, how did they get in there to count bodies?

new topics

top topics

<< 34  35  36    38  39  40 >>

join