It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US Drops MOAB Bomb in Afghanistan

page: 35
<< 32  33  34    36  37  38 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 14 2017 @ 03:46 PM
link   
a reply to: khnum

It was an inert B61-12, and it was a separation test of an aircraft the previous version was already cleared to carry. The -12 is a GPS guided upgrade, not a new weapon.

posted on Apr, 14 2017 @ 03:55 PM
link   
a reply to: FamCore

I don't agree with the premise of your post but I gave you a star for one epic avatar! HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!
edit on 14-4-2017 by Outlier13 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 14 2017 @ 04:01 PM
link   
a reply to: Spider879

The individual terrorists weren't the target. The tunnels and stores were.

ISIS was attempting to control a larger area using that province as a base. We couldn't effectively patrol because of the tunnels. The area could be clear one moment and the next there would be ISIS combatants surrounding us, all with full stocks of ammunition. Not to mention, they tend to like to plant IEDs... mines... wherever they go.

We were in an unwinnable situation.

The MOAB killed 36 terrorists that happened to be there at the time, but more importantly it destroyed the tunnels, buried their supplies under tons of rubble, detonated any mines in the area, and let them know we're not playing games any more. They'll now have to travel the area in the open and they'll have to replace a lot of weaponry and ammo with nowhere locally to store it. As I said before, the employment of 2592 virgins was a bonus.

TheRedneck

posted on Apr, 14 2017 @ 04:05 PM
link   
a reply to: RAY1990

So in your opinion this was the best weapon for the job?

Not according to this...

The U.S. military has targeted similar complexes and dropped tens of thousands of bombs in Afghanistan, raising the question of why a bomb of this size was needed Thursday.

It was unclear what the GBU-43 strike accomplished, as the bomb is not designed to penetrate hardened targets such as bunkers or cave complexes.

Americansecuritytoday

Being a 'fuel air' air bursting device its shock wave is intended primarily to destroy above ground targets.

Not a penetrator like used in WWII, like (Tall Boy earthquake bomb) or a bunker buster used to destroy Iraqi fortifications .

So yay, impressive fireball and shock wave for the cameras, but not as much effect on deep underground cave complexes. The Hindu Kush is like these giant mountain ranges with tunnels running all through them.

Not even sure how they could gain access to tell , if the tunnels are all destroyed (caved in) how could they determine how successful or how many casualties there were? They're all buried! Danger of further collapse would preclude any real investigation anyway.

This was a political drop. Just like the cruise missile strike in Syria and the ensuing Death Star armada arriving off North Korea.

Paper tiger war...

posted on Apr, 14 2017 @ 04:30 PM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

Not quite...

The bomb takes oxygen out of the atmosphere. That is what an air fuel bomb is.

So a bomb taking oxygen out of tunnels is not quite "paper". And politics should be the last place to look.

This was a kill shot, if anything,

posted on Apr, 14 2017 @ 04:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: TEOTWAWKIAIFF

Not quite...

So a bomb taking oxygen out of tunnels is not quite "paper". And politics should be the last place to look.

The pressure wave initially would collapse any nearby tunnel entrance, so how could it suck the air out?

Edit: For those seemingly lacking understanding of the dynamic, the air burst bomb generates huge pressure waves that destroy targets exposed above ground. The fireball isn't that big compared to the blast radius.

It is not a 'penetrator' or seismic weapon...

edit on 14-4-2017 by intrptr because: Edit:

posted on Apr, 14 2017 @ 04:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr

Not quite...

The pressure wave initially would collapse any nearby tunnel entrance, so how could it suck the air out?

I agree.

We should nuke it too, just to be sure we got them all.

posted on Apr, 14 2017 @ 04:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: RAY1990
Mother Of All Bombs is a nickname.

It's called Massive Ordinance Air Blast.

About 35 ISIS fighters dead, it's a huge waste of money considering. The US has other weapons just as capable of destroying such targets.

From what people say the bomb costs, it's the near equivalent of $500,000 per person.

well what would u have rather them done? the other options are carpet bombing from b-52's and such. the moab's are allready built and are just sitting around. im sure they also have a finite lifespan. so u might aswell use one of our 20 or so that we built.

posted on Apr, 14 2017 @ 05:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: blueyedevilwoman

Not quite...

I agree.

Brain dead cretins...

posted on Apr, 14 2017 @ 05:12 PM
link   

The thing needs oxygen to explode.

So when it goes off the amount of oxygen is tremendous. Those below would have their air gone. I.e., the bomb consumes the oxygen.

The bomb I think is illegal to drop on non combatants.
edit on 14-4-2017 by TEOTWAWKIAIFF because: clarity

posted on Apr, 14 2017 @ 05:17 PM
link   
While there are bombs that were better suited for this particular type of target there was no weapon more suited for the mission that was required. What do I mean?

The goals here was two fold. One was clearly tactical destroy/disable a target, the second was political theater on the global stage.

Tactically this weapon did the job, it made the tunnel system unusable, 36 enemy soldiers are also no longer functioning and no civilian casualties made this a good strike in the eyes of the military. Not to mention this weapon saved us or Afganis from having to clear out the tunnel system which could have been costly.

As far as political theater goes this weapon was never used in combat before, making this a novelty in eyes of the media. There was no chance this wouldn't be plastered across every tv screen on the planet making this an excellent choice to send a very loud and clear message to Syria and North Korea that the United States has capabilities that no one has seen utilized before and to get in line or the next one might drop a little closer to home.

A bit of muscle flexing on Trump's part...and I think he just wanted to see one of them go boom!

posted on Apr, 14 2017 @ 05:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: blueyedevilwoman

Not quite...

I agree.

Brain dead cretins...

Now that is a soldier.

Wonder why he feels that way?

Think he may know something you dont know?

How is that "ignoring the media" working out for you?

This would be a good week for it.

Hail Satan, and pass the ketchup.

posted on Apr, 14 2017 @ 05:34 PM
link   

The thing needs oxygen to explode.

So when it goes off the amount of oxygen is tremendous. Those below would have their air gone. I.e., the bomb consumes the oxygen.

The bomb I think is illegal to drop on non combatants.

the bomb itself carries all its oxidizer. its a mix of rdx,tnt, aluminum, wax, and calcium chloride. the only thing burning up oxygen is the fireball afterwards which rises quite quickly. lack of oxygen didnt kill them, a high pressure blast wave travelling through the tunnel most likely did though. if not they will wish it had soon enough. u have to remember a cave system generally doesnt have many outlets so the pressures can quickly spike even if your very deep in the tunnels.
edit on 14-4-2017 by TheScale because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 14 2017 @ 05:38 PM
link   
a reply to: TEOTWAWKIAIFF

Those below would have their air gone. I.e., the bomb consumes the oxygen.

Trying one last time. Air burst means it detonates above ground, in the air, not underground. The shock is not designed to penetrate as other types of ordnance do. Its not made to produce earthquakes that collapse tunnels or bunkers.

Edit: but looks good on the news, eh?

edit on 14-4-2017 by intrptr because: Edit:

posted on Apr, 14 2017 @ 06:24 PM
link   

a reply to: TEOTWAWKIAIFF

Those below would have their air gone. I.e., the bomb consumes the oxygen.

Trying one last time. Air burst means it detonates above ground, in the air, not underground. The shock is not designed to penetrate as other types of ordnance do. Its not made to produce earthquakes that collapse tunnels or bunkers.

Edit: but looks good on the news, eh?

it actually is designed for destroying tunnels aswell. a real quick google search would net u those results. theres other methods that in some cases can be more efficient but i think if they went that route, ie carpet bombing they had a higher chance of collateral damage. same with the penetrator version of the moab. if u penetrate intot he ground then detonate theres going to be a large mass of earth thrown into the air and outwards. imagine a giant hammer smashing the earth from above a cave system, cause thats essentially what this did. whacked the ground real hard and if u dont think it could collapse the tunnels, id suggest taking a look at the eyewitness accounts of the event who said it felt like an earthquake had struck and they werent at ground zero.
edit:well maybe doing a google search isnt so easy anymore. i just redid it myself and many sites have updated their info on it so maybe do a google search from a year ago to get unbiased data prior to the attack. wikipedia isnt the best source since it really has zero real data on it.

posted on Apr, 14 2017 @ 08:25 PM
link   

MOAB is designed specifically to produce a shock wave, which is called a seismic wave when it penetrates rock.

The difference between it and a bunker-buster lies in wave direction. Bunker-busters are designed for use against 'hardened' targets, i.e. facilities which are reinforced against collapse. To accomplish this, they concentrate the shock wave in a tighter direction and deliver it directly into the rock. MOAB, in comparison, delivers a symmetrical shock wave in all directions generated by the air burst.

Tunnels and caves are not hardened, and they are also extensive. It would take multiple strikes to collapse every tunnel, and even then some might have been missed. Since the tunnels are simply rock and unreinforced, MOAB's shock wave will collapse them almost as well as a bunker-buster, and will get all of them, targeted or not.

I know you are trying desperately to throw this attack into a bad light... after all, Trump... but even Schumer and Pelosi agreed with the attack. Maybe this one time, the mental gymnastics aren't worth it?

TheRedneck

posted on Apr, 14 2017 @ 09:40 PM
link   
a reply to: TheRedneck

1o tons of explosive will produce a shock wave, yes. Less of one when its detonated above ground. MOAB = Massive Ordnance Air Burst, does not penetrate then detonate, nor move mountains.

Did anyone read the link I provided above pages? The reason they used an airburst weapon was show for the cameras, as the penetrator version you mentioned would produce a sub surface seismic wave but look less impressive on the surface. If they were really after sub structure they would have used it instead. Air burst, Big fireball, big impression. Sub surface detonation, big landslide, wheres the boom?

IMO, this is political air strike, much like the tomahawk strike on Syria, or whatever they got planned for NK tomorrow.

Edit: read the article...

www.abovetopsecret.com...

edit on 14-4-2017 by intrptr because: additional

posted on Apr, 14 2017 @ 09:43 PM
link   

They ran out of Daisy Cutters.

posted on Apr, 14 2017 @ 09:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: D8Tee

They ran out of Daisy Cutters.

Did they? Staging during Desert Storm... (note the one year shelf life)

posted on Apr, 14 2017 @ 10:00 PM
link   
If they were really after deep deep tunnels in mountains they would have used the "MOP".

edit on 14-4-2017 by intrptr because: bb code

new topics

top topics

<< 32  33  34    36  37  38 >>

join