It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US Drops MOAB Bomb in Afghanistan

page: 25
<< 22  23  24    26  27  28 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 13 2017 @ 08:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: Aazadan

originally posted by: Zaphod58
a reply to: Aazadan

It's not 11,000 it's 11. As in 22,000 pounds of TNT.

Then I'll retract my statement and feel quite foolish for misreading.

That said, I stand by the point that I'm still concerned about Trumps administration having the common sense to not use these in populated areas.

I don't think they will.. but I do think they still will maintain a ready, shoot, aim mentality. He hired a bunch of ex-military for his staff. What can you expect.

posted on Apr, 13 2017 @ 08:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: Aazadan

originally posted by: D8Tee
Not even close to the yield of a nuclear weapon.

MOAB = 11 tons of TNT
Little Boy = 13,000 tons TNT

M76 warhead = 100,000 tons TNT

Tsar Bomba(largest ever) = 50,000,000 tons TNT

11,000 is quite close to 13,000 which is still the largest bomb dropped in war time.

No.

MOAB = 11 tons TNT

Little Boy = 13,000 tons TNT

Sorry to confuse the issue but i was going from memory.

Little Boy was 13,000 tons TNT

Fat Man was 20,000 tons TNT, my mistake.

Either way you look at it, the MOAB would have to be dropped more than 1,000 times to equate to the TNT equivalent of the bomb dropped on Hiroshima.

They only have 14 of them left according to wikipedia.

Little Boy was over a thousand times bigger than the Moab.

edit on 13-4-2017 by D8Tee because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 13 2017 @ 08:56 PM
link   
Once again... Trump is keeping his promise!

This seems like an efficient way to wipe out ISIS, instead of risking the lives of our guys fighting on the ground.
If Obama had done this type of thing long ago, many lives might have been saved.

Kim Jong-un's eyes probably popped out of his skull on this one!
He is probably already hiding in his bunker.

posted on Apr, 13 2017 @ 08:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: angeldoll
I'm beginning to think this was a $15 Million dollar stunt for diversion and deflection from his Russia woes, and the unrest among his staff.

Why are you beginning to think that?
Is it because you are actually thinking about it or is that you hate Trump because... He's not Hillary?

posted on Apr, 13 2017 @ 09:01 PM
link   
a reply to: D8Tee

Ya, I misread. My fault.

It's still the same general issue though. We're going to have problems if he starts dropping these things in more populated areas. Remote Afghanistan is one thing, but anywhere with a high population density is another. I do think Mattis and McMaster (is that his name?) have the common sense to not do that. Trump, and his BFF Bannon I'm not so sure about though.

This does actually lead into another point that I'm now curious about though. I've heard that NK has a lot of heavily fortified installations dug deep into mountains, on par with NORAD which can absorb a nuclear strike. If this bomb was meant to put NK on notice, how would it do so, if their installations are built to absorb something thousands of times more powerful? I'm pretty ignorant on explosives, if it's not obvious.

posted on Apr, 13 2017 @ 09:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: Jerseymilker
I am not looking forward to how many civilians have died. This size bomb was not needed. What is wrong with your president?

He's not a spineless pussy like the previous person who held that position for eight years. I forget, what has your great leader Justin Trudeau done in the fight against ISIS?

posted on Apr, 13 2017 @ 09:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: BlueAjah
Once again... Trump is keeping his promise!

This seems like an efficient way to wipe out ISIS, instead of risking the lives of our guys fighting on the ground.
If Obama had done this type of thing long ago, many lives might have been saved.

Kim Jong-un's eyes probably popped out of his skull on this one!
He is probably already hiding in his bunker.

As always, I find the partisan shifts in perspective really interesting.

When Clinton was trying his 40,000 foot bombing campaigns to control areas, he met immense opposition from Republicans who insisted you could only control an area with boots on the ground. While Democrats argued that bombing would work just as well.

When Obama did ground strikes, the opinion was much the same.

Now that Trump is doing it, the Democrats are saying we need boots on the ground while the Republicans just want to bomb.

I truthfully don't know which is right or wrong, or really feel informed enough to have an opinion on it. I'm endlessly amused by the flip floping though (this isn't directed at you specifically, I don't remember your posting history... but many have a similar vantage point).

posted on Apr, 13 2017 @ 09:09 PM
link   

This does actually lead into another point that I'm now curious about though. I've heard that NK has a lot of heavily fortified installations dug deep into mountains, on par with NORAD which can absorb a nuclear strike. If this bomb was meant to put NK on notice, how would it do so, if their installations are built to absorb something thousands of times more powerful?
You are correct. North Koreans not going to be worried about this.

posted on Apr, 13 2017 @ 09:11 PM
link   

I can see one hitting Pyongyang. But there again, North Korea doesn't have any allies except China, and they're in on the plan.

TheRedneck

posted on Apr, 13 2017 @ 09:14 PM
link   

Are their launch bases thusly fortified?

TheRedneck

posted on Apr, 13 2017 @ 09:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheRedneck

I can see one hitting Pyongyang. But there again, North Korea doesn't have any allies except China, and they're in on the plan.

TheRedneck
You'd expect they would drop a bomb like that on a civilian city?

posted on Apr, 13 2017 @ 09:16 PM
link   

Are their launch bases thusly fortified?

TheRedneck
North Korea would be well aware of the capabilities of the USA, they don't need any demonstrations.

posted on Apr, 13 2017 @ 09:27 PM
link   

This does actually lead into another point that I'm now curious about though. I've heard that NK has a lot of heavily fortified installations dug deep into mountains, on par with NORAD which can absorb a nuclear strike. If this bomb was meant to put NK on notice, how would it do so, if their installations are built to absorb something thousands of times more powerful?

There are tactical dial in nukes designed to reach into mountain bunkers. The best part is that the radiation is contained by the very mountain they dug out to protect themselves, making their use more likely....and Trump is showing he will use stuff.

Lil KImmy's worry level must be skyrocketing.

edit on 13-4-2017 by TinfoilTP because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 13 2017 @ 09:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: TinfoilTP

There are tactical dial in nukes designed to reach into mountain bunkers. The best part is that the radiation is contained by the very mountain they dug out to protect themselves, making their use more likely....and Trump is showing he will use stuff.
Which ones are those?

Do you have a link?

posted on Apr, 13 2017 @ 09:39 PM
link   

Which ones are those?

Do you have a link?

The newest variant is the B61 Mod 11, deployed in 1997, which is a ground-penetrating bunker buster

Source

posted on Apr, 13 2017 @ 09:40 PM
link   
a reply to: TheRedneck

I say, let China clean up that mess..they can take the heat, NK is their pet after all.

posted on Apr, 13 2017 @ 09:52 PM
link   

If the alternative was to let a madman launch nukes... yes.

TheRedneck

posted on Apr, 13 2017 @ 09:53 PM
link   
a reply to: vonclod

I agree, and I think that's plan A. But if plan A fails...

TheRedneck

posted on Apr, 13 2017 @ 09:54 PM
link   
a reply to: Montsta

You said it brother I know the USA is picking up the tab for all of the worlds problems and the world keeps going blah blah blah and then people say yeah like USA go drop some more bombs are something sarcastically but its really infuriating especially the French!

posted on Apr, 13 2017 @ 09:54 PM
link   

If the alternative was to let a madman launch nukes... yes.

TheRedneck

Or flush him into his mountain bunker and safely nuke him there. There is no way he has a more protected hole in the ground than Russia, and those were designed to reach into the best Russia had, under 1000 feet of granite.

top topics

<< 22  23  24    26  27  28 >>

join