It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Book Details Problems in Africa

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 13 2017 @ 09:50 AM
link   
www.amazon.com...=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1492094565&sr=1-1&keywords=zona+verde

'Last Train to Zona Verde' by Paul Theroux
the author (travel writer who spent much time in Africa) decides to take one last ride into the heart of the continent. He gets as far as Angola and gives up in disgust.
Good book to give insight on Africa's current state and why. Sure, it's just one man's trip into one area, but by all accounts it's a great microcosm.
Author's conclusion is that kleptocratic governments in the big cities take money from foreign interests who exploit the mineral wealth. The rural areas are ignored and suffering from incredible poverty. Thousands of rural poor head to the cities and end up in hovels with few prospects.
the author is repeatedly asked for financial help for the schools and clinics he visits and he ultimately tells them to 'ask the billionaires in your country', who are living the good life in their gated communities.

this is what happens when a handful take all the wealth. I understand Latin America suffers the same, presumably not as bad. or maybe they just have better infrastructure. Please God don't let the USA go there. (cynics will say we already are)

posted on Apr, 13 2017 @ 12:59 PM
link   
a reply to: ElGoobero

I lived in Africa and can report that this author's depictions are entirely accurate. Real problem with Africa is that the political/military leaders care absolutely nothing about the "people" and steal everything in sight. The degree of corruption is beyond comprehension. Sad, sad situation with no hope for resolution in sight. And it really explains the explosion of African emigrees leaving for Europe and the US. Actually, there's nothing else they can do. No where else in the world have we seen the horrid effects of the collapse of the Colonial powers like is seen in Africa.

posted on Apr, 13 2017 @ 01:07 PM
link   
a reply to: TonyS

thanks for the first-person feedback.

most non-Africans that go there stay on the Safari bus or in the safe spaces and never see *real* Africa.

posted on Apr, 14 2017 @ 12:13 PM
link   

I've seen the "real" Africa.
Problem is, once you've seen it, you can't "unsee" it.

I don't recommend it.

Although in reality, it probably doesn't matter.........Africa is coming to a city near you whether you like it or not.

posted on May, 3 2017 @ 07:37 AM
link   

Finally got my copy. Thanks for the post about it. I'm looking forward to reading it, although, like one book I read, Year Zero by Ian Buruma, I might have to put the book down at times to digest the reality of what I had just read. I rarely read fiction, and travel writing has become a favorite genre of mine.
edit on 3-5-2017 by desert because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join