It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA to announce discovery in ocean on Saturn’s moon

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 13 2017 @ 10:19 AM
link   
This might have to do with the recent finding that some parts of Enceladus' surface are warmer than usual - which definitely points to hydrothermal vents being below those areas.

www.universal-sci.com...

posted on Apr, 13 2017 @ 10:29 AM
link   
a reply to: lostbook

NASA believes we came from Hydrothermal vents? I like the Sunday School version better, thank-you.

posted on Apr, 13 2017 @ 10:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: TinfoilTP

originally posted by: peskyhumans
My prediction:

NASA will spend hundreds of billions of taxpayer funds to send a submarine on a rocket to go explore the ocean of Enceladus, and find nothing.

Meanwhile untold millions will starve and species will vanish here on earth that those billions could have kept in the struggle to evolve here on earth.

You should know that unlike in Reaganomics, there actually is a trickle down effect regarding NASA and the many innovations they have come up with regarding space flight that are used by normal people every single day. Many of these innovations have led directly to things that assist with your above mentioned criticisms of the funds they are budgeted for annually. To prove this point, every year since the mid-1970s, NASA has published a list of space technologies that have been integrated into everyday items. The tangible benefits span from life-saving medical devices to protective eyewear. To date, NASA has documented nearly 1,800 "spinoff" technologies. Here's a short list.

Artificial limbs
Baby formula
Cell-phone cameras
Computer mouse
Cordless tools
Ear thermometer
Firefighter gear
Freeze-dried food
Golf clubs
Long-distance communication
Invisible braces
MRI and CAT scans
Memory foam
Safer highways
Solar panels
Shoe insoles
Ski boots
Adjustable smoke detector
Water filters
UV-blocking sunglasses

I think it's safe to say that the tax payers ROI is actually pretty good in this canes. There are a lot of places we can afford to cut back on in the federal budget, I don't think NASS should be first on the list when our primary exportation industry in the US currently is War and destruction.

posted on Apr, 13 2017 @ 10:45 AM
link   

If NASA wants funding they should tell trump a trip to mars would kill the budget, that's what Nixon said in the 70's.

Probes are cheaper and don't risk lives. I was left scratching my head when the trump admin cut off the Europa probe funding. Yes we should get foot on Mars but given trumps gung ho approach to the budget NASA will never get the money.

Send some damn probes!

posted on Apr, 13 2017 @ 11:03 AM
link   
They're probably concerned about the ramifications that such a discovery could have concerning the evolution-versus-creationism sects of society.

To me, I'm excited to discover life elsewhere (assuming that it's not diabolical, intelligent beings hell-bent on destroying earth), but there are those who find the notion to be heretical and impossible according to their religious dogma.

Verifying extra-planetary life will have big implications to many, many people, and I think that NASA and the government understand that.

posted on Apr, 13 2017 @ 11:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: SlapMonkey
They're probably concerned about the ramifications that such a discovery could have concerning the evolution-versus-creationism sects of society.

To me, I'm excited to discover life elsewhere (assuming that it's not diabolical, intelligent beings hell-bent on destroying earth), but there are those who find the notion to be heretical and impossible according to their religious dogma.

Verifying extra-planetary life will have big implications to many, many people, and I think that NASA and the government understand that.

Well said. I forgot about the religious aspects to this issue.

posted on Apr, 13 2017 @ 12:11 PM
link   

And NASA should be worried about the feelings of religious people why exactly?

posted on Apr, 13 2017 @ 01:41 PM
link   
a reply to: wildespace
Off-topic: I wish that your avatar could include sound--namely, "Stayin' Alive" by the Bee Gees.

posted on Apr, 13 2017 @ 04:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: TinfoilTPMeanwhile untold millions will starve and species will vanish here on earth that those billions could have kept in the struggle to evolve here on earth.

Whereas the untold trillions spent on war should be earmarked for more war?

posted on Apr, 13 2017 @ 09:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: TinfoilTP
So if that moon magically moved to earth orbit it would have a chance to develop life in five billion years......can't wait.

originally posted by: Terminal1
Makes me wonder when the Sun swells to red giant proportions if that will spur more complex life there...

What matters about hydrothermal vents is that it doesn't matter how far they are from the sun. They provide all the heat, water and chemicals needed for life to flourish. Even here on Earth they are too deep for sunlight to matter.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join