It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Could bamboo save Africa?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 13 2017 @ 09:04 AM
link   
Africa has a lot of water underground the issue is the destruction of the wells for scrap. Tried to help many years ago, one year later everything we did was gone and the water was still in the ground. People stole everything to get money they are all probably dead now but the water is still there.

posted on Apr, 13 2017 @ 09:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: mikell
Africa has a lot of water underground the issue is the destruction of the wells for scrap. Tried to help many years ago, one year later everything we did was gone and the water was still in the ground. People stole everything to get money they are all probably dead now but the water is still there.

Wow, the definition of dumbassery.

posted on Apr, 13 2017 @ 09:29 AM
link   
a reply to: marg6043

The biggest bamboo forest of Africa is located in Ethiopia. Yes it's a tropical region, but so is most of Africa. You can find bamboo all over sub-saharan Africa from low to high altitudes.
Bamboo can grow nearly everywhere, is not a demanding plant and can go longer periods without water. It is as you said still a weed/grass.
They use bamboo for the recovery of degraded lands(overfarming) and to prevent soil erosion.
Africa is becoming more aware of its potential both in economics and environmental.
It has more positives than negatives.

It is not a bad idea, reforestation never is imho. But as any other natural forest it is best to have a variety of species or companions.
It would take time to (re)green the desert but not impossible. Just look at some of the projects of Geoff Lawton and Sepp Holzer.

S+F for your idea OP.

If you want to read more on Africa and bamboo

www.un.org...
www.un.org...

Are there forests because it rains or is it raining because there are forests?

posted on Apr, 13 2017 @ 09:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: Chromium51

originally posted by: MerkabaMeditation

originally posted by: marg6043
a reply to: MerkabaMeditation

Even if is possible, some variations of Bamboo is an invasive species, but that if the conditions are favorable.

Now, how about the cost of acclimatizing the bamboo to the are that is be taking over in the desert.

True, bamboo is an invasive species - but we're talking about thousands of people's life here, surely those life must matter more than introducing a foreign botany?

There would have to be made an investment to initially farm these forests, but in the end thousands of lifes would be saved and more farmable land would be created between the forest due to the new biome and higher precipitation - so this would be something that the affected countries would earn money on in the long run.

-MM

We could also just import food there too instead of making permanent changes. That would likely be cheaper and quicker to get done than making a bamboo forest.

Is it better to buy food than become a farmer? Who will survive in the end?

posted on Apr, 13 2017 @ 09:32 AM
link   
a reply to: TinfoilTP

Yes they are unfortunately.

posted on Apr, 13 2017 @ 09:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: galaga
That whole area of the world is complete crap for humans. Sure, some parts of Africa are stunning. But can you really live there?

You should ask your question to the Tuareg and Bedouin people.

It's everything there that is wrong. It's like they can't get out of the Stone age.

Maybe they don't need more to live happy life?

posted on Apr, 13 2017 @ 11:02 AM
link   
Sorry... Sam Kinison had the answer.

posted on Apr, 13 2017 @ 12:40 PM
link   
a reply to: MerkabaMeditation

If soil erosion were the sole issue, maybe. But Africa has been in drought for many decades, ever since I was a young 'un I remember the image of Africa as a barren waste land and pot bellied naked children everywhere. Some parts get only scant amounts of rain a year. Also, some bamboo are an invasive species. In many states they have people that go specifically looking for it, completely digging it out and burning it along any water ways.

It does appear that drought is only getting worse, some say the worst in the last 60 years. I just don't think bamboo is the answer. Maybe some government controlled climate change efforts might help. Or some rain dances.

This article was written in 2011

Horn of Africa sees 'worst drought in 60 years'

www.bbc.com...

Also this:

According to the South African Weather Service, South Africa received the lowest rainfall between January and December 2015 since the recording of rainfall began in 1904.

Since 1904, rainfall in all nine provinces has averaged 608 mm per year, while in 2015 South Africa received only an average of 403 mm (66% of the annual average). Previously, the lowest rainfall received in a year was in 1945 when South Africa received 437 mm (72%).

Because drought is experienced as a continuous period of low rainfall, it is important to measure it accordingly. De Jager said that “although the annual total rainfall for South Africa for the months of January to December 2015 was the lowest since 1904, the four-year period of 1930 to 1933 might still be the driest continuous period experienced in South Africa”. The average rainfall for those years was 519 mm annually (85%).

It’s important to keep in mind that these averages were calculated for South Africa as a whole. Some areas could have been very dry while others were not.

africacheck.org...

edit on 13-4-2017 by StoutBroux because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 13 2017 @ 12:47 PM
link   
Always wanted to grow some bamboo here on my land where I live. We have small groves of it where people have planted it and it always looks very pretty to me. Not to mention the shade it can provide when it gets big enough with our hot and humid summers here.

But: I've got the worlds biggest brown thumbs when it comes to plants!

posted on Apr, 13 2017 @ 12:56 PM
link   
a reply to: eriktheawful

Bamboo wood is also pretty awesome. It's unusually strong, and you can weave the fibers into baskets and stuff. Pretty cool.

posted on Apr, 13 2017 @ 01:40 PM
link   

Get some cuttings with 3 nodes, put them directly in the soil(end of winter) or in some water, wait for roots to come out of the nodes and replant.
It's pretty difficult to do something wrong with bamboo even if you're mr. Brownthumb

posted on Apr, 13 2017 @ 01:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: swanne

Bamboo wood is also pretty awesome. It's unusually strong, and you can weave the fibers into baskets and stuff. Pretty cool.

Hello Swanne, שמי הוא המדיטציה של המרכבה.

Yep, bamboo is pretty awesome in many ways. I know that in Asia they use bamboo in all kinds of areas where we in the west use steel; one example is bamboo scaffolding at building sites. For years I thought bamboo was type of tree until I learned it was actually a type of grass

-MM
edit on 13-4-2017 by MerkabaMeditation because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 13 2017 @ 01:42 PM
link   
a reply to: intergalactic fire

I've killed cactus.

I walk into greenhouse nurseries and the plants try to run from me........

posted on Apr, 13 2017 @ 01:51 PM
link   
I was able to find this TED video I saw about a year ago.

It speaks to the wonders of bamboo.

posted on Apr, 14 2017 @ 04:52 AM
link   
Africa has no infrastructure for almost anything due to war and corruption. Its rich in things like oil and diamonds and its certainly no accident that it is constantly going through 'troubles', its what keeps the price of certain commodities high.

posted on Apr, 16 2017 @ 11:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: Spacespider
Just let nature work it out
We should not manipulate and bend the ways of nature
If there is not enough food, people should leave and and stop pooping out babies like a popcorn machine

That's part of the problem though. Those areas are where people have the most children, and you can't teach them otherwise.

posted on Apr, 17 2017 @ 09:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: bronco73

originally posted by: Spacespider
Just let nature work it out
We should not manipulate and bend the ways of nature
If there is not enough food, people should leave and and stop pooping out babies like a popcorn machine

That's part of the problem though. Those areas are where people have the most children, and you can't teach them otherwise.

Idea..

Forced chemical castration
And give them some food and a bible as a reward

top topics

<< 1   >>

join