It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

R.I.P. Charlie Murphy

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 12 2017 @ 06:21 PM
link   
What a loss!

I loved Charlie Murphy. The YouTube videos of Charlie Murphy's Hollywood Stories are some of the most hilarious comedy monologues and sketches ever.

A lot of white people are terrified of the ghetto and young black men, etc. During my many years as a security guard, I gradually got over all that and began to relate to people in that milieu and to see them as fully dimensional people who could be as bright and funny and self aware and self deprecating even, as anybody from my white world. They could be sophisticated and philosophical about things and see things in perspective and not be hard asses and drug driven numb skulls.

Charlie Murphy was all about that. I really loved the guy. He lit up my life.

My most respectful condolences and sympathy to his friends and family.
edit on 12-4-2017 by ipsedixit because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 12 2017 @ 06:33 PM
link   
Now it makes sense why there wasn't a third season of Black Jesus, one of the best shows since Chappelle's Show. I guess he was sick. Charlie Murphy was the apartment complex manager.

"MY CUTLASS!!!"

posted on Apr, 12 2017 @ 06:36 PM
link   
Whaaaa!? So weird, I was just wondering whatever happened to him after watching Chappelle's Show episode with his account of basketball with Prince. Half of why it's so funny is Charlie Murphy's delivery. So funny.

RIP Charlie.

posted on Apr, 12 2017 @ 07:02 PM
link   
Rick James, Charley Murphy and the genius of Dave Chappelle, three ingredients of some of the funniest comedy ever.

I liked it when Charley got deeper into his own "posse", telling stories about "bum rushing" entertainment venues and some of the scrapes and altercations they got into. He was mining a very rich vein of comedy. I wish his brother Eddie would get back to that instead of migrating further away from his roots. I think his strongest and most interesting performances have been strongly tied to that milieu, like his role in 48 Hours, for example.

posted on Apr, 12 2017 @ 07:15 PM
link   

posted on Apr, 12 2017 @ 07:24 PM
link   
a reply to: kosmicjack

Thanks for that link.

One of his last tweets:
"One to Sleep On: Release the past to rest as deeply as possible."

posted on Apr, 12 2017 @ 08:23 PM
link   
a reply to: underwerks

His very last, I think.

mobile.twitter.com...
edit on 4/12/2017 by kosmicjack because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 12 2017 @ 08:59 PM
link   

He posted that from Beyond the Grave or what?

posted on Apr, 12 2017 @ 09:56 PM
link   
So sad. That dude was storytelling gold.

posted on Apr, 12 2017 @ 10:40 PM
link   

Yes.. Black Jesus was so great!
He was such a jerk on that show, and played it so well. Hilarious.

edit on 12-4-2017 by zosimov because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 13 2017 @ 05:15 AM
link   
Dang another one dying young,he will be missed,didn't know of his leukimia,dang do die in 3's

posted on Apr, 13 2017 @ 11:19 AM
link   
Hey guys. Something cool happened last night. Me and my wife went to see John Mayer at the Schottenstein Center in Columbus, Ohio last night. Say what you will about John Mayer, (I personally can't stand to hear him talk. Quite the douche sometimes.) he is a hell of a guitarist and put on a great show.

After the encore, John came back out alone with a piano. He said a few words and then introduced his friend, DAVE CHAPPELLE! The place went berserk! Dave lives in Yellow Springs, Ohio (close to Dayton/Springfield area) so it made sense he would make an appearance to talk about his friend Charlie Murphy. He told a few stories and joked around with John and then John sang a little song as a tribute to Charlie.

It was a cool little surprise. My wife recorded most of it. If I get a chance, I'll see if I can get it uploaded.
edit on 13-4-2017 by jtrenthacker because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 13 2017 @ 11:33 AM
link   
Here is a clip. This is most of it. Dave asked everyone to put their cell phones away and the video ends. John sings a little song after this.

posted on Apr, 13 2017 @ 01:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus
a reply to: Krazysh0t

"And then he took us back to the house and cooked us pancakes."

Well if its any consolation,i like to picture him and Prince reunited in the after life,
Playing basketball with clouds as the court and an endless pancake buffet on the sideline.

RIP Charlie

Respectfully,
~meathead

edit on 13-4-2017 by Mike Stivic because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 13 2017 @ 03:54 PM
link   
a reply to: jtrenthacker

That was great! But dang - what happened after the cell phones were put away? And what song was it?

LoLz at Dave's pants, so Euro.

Sidenote: Legalize the bitch slap!

posted on Apr, 13 2017 @ 08:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: kosmicjack
a reply to: jtrenthacker

That was great! But dang - what happened after the cell phones were put away? And what song was it?

LoLz at Dave's pants, so Euro.

Sidenote: Legalize the bitch slap!

Lol. John sang one of his new tunes, "You're Gonna Live Forever In Me". It's a great little song and a perfect tribute to Charlie. After he finished the song, John and Dave stood together and took a bow and then walked through a door in the projection screen behind the stage. It was a pretty cool moment.

Side Note: After Dave requested everyone put their phones away, I bet 90% of the arena had their phones off. That was pretty cool as well.
edit on 13-4-2017 by jtrenthacker because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 17 2017 @ 08:09 AM
link   

Another pioneer in his fields, been a murphys fan for a while, have seen many of their movies together alike.....may he rest in peace now, much better place.

Make us smile, make us laugh from wherever, I bet on that =]

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join