It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Investment Fund vs ISA

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 11 2017 @ 02:51 PM
link   
Is there anybody here who's savvy on this ? I have some money to invest and I'm wondering whether it's better to take the safe route of putting it in a 5 year ISA or to take some risk and put it into a stocks & share ISA which would be Legal & General Mixed Investment 20-60% Fund or Legal & General Mixed Investment 40-85% Fund

I have no idea what I'm doing so some help would be appreciated as I'm confused by the fees for the investment fund, how do I make money if I have to pay monthly fees to keep my money ? (Yes I know my money can go down in value but I'm confused on how they actually make money more than the fee)

posted on Apr, 11 2017 @ 03:21 PM
link   
a reply to: Discotech

Buy an ISA you buy a defined return.
Buy shares/commodities you buy a bet that they will be worth more in time.
Buy property/land it always increases in value over time...difficult to build more land in Britain.

I don't know how much you have to invest but any crappy plots of land in your area, going cheap without planning permission to build?
Wait long enough and permission will be granted, increasing value by tens of thousands even for a single dwelling.

*edit*
If I'd listened to my mates and got into a #ty agricultural land deal on the edge of town twenty years ago I'd be a millionaire now.
They are millionaires and I am not, we are still close friends though.
...but the banter about the jewels slipping through my fingers in the 90's can be brutal after a few drinks lol
edit on 11.4.2017 by grainofsand because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 11 2017 @ 03:56 PM
link   
a reply to: grainofsand

I had considered investing in land but I have even less of an idea with that and where to even to search for available plots than I do with ISA's and investment funds.

With all this talk of potential WW3 I was considering buying some Raytheon shares but there's not much point in betting on WW3 as I likely won't be alive to spend the rewards lol

posted on Apr, 11 2017 @ 04:06 PM
link   

Do a 'plots of land for sale' search in your area, or approach farmers who have fields on the edge of your towns green belt.
That #ty acre could be worth a fortune in a few years.
...a #ty plot the size of an average house footprint will be worth tens of thousands more with planning permission, just be patient, planning permission will be granted eventually because we can't build more land inland.
...I kick myself I didn't get into the deal twenty years ago, I had the money but put it up my nose like a stupid twat.
I chuckle about it with my mates who were more forward thinking than I was.

posted on Apr, 11 2017 @ 04:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: grainofsand
.I kick myself I didn't get into the deal twenty years ago

But then you wouldn't call yourself grain of sand heh

We have a lot of farms around us where I live, much more farm land than housing land to be honest, I'll have to look into it more deeply, thanks for the advice

posted on Apr, 11 2017 @ 04:28 PM
link   

Lol I'd still be a grain of sand on the beach of life, just a richer one!
Do it, knock doors and chat to landowners who may well be skint cash wise. Buy a field with road access, maybe rent it out to some horsey person for a while to get a small return...but long term that land will make you a # load more than an ISA ever will.

posted on Apr, 11 2017 @ 05:41 PM
link   
Second buying land. Land is one of the few assets that have tangible value, especially as cities/towns expand further into the green belt. The risk to this is, say for example; an airport wants to build a runway through your plot they're likely to make you a lowball offer on their terms and it's going to happen anyway.

top topics

join