It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

IRA withdraws from disarmament scheme.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 2 2005 @ 03:46 PM
link   
Claiming that the British and Irish governments have failed to keep their commitments and obligations the IRA have pulled out of the disarmament scheme.

www.sky.com...

I hope this does not mean a return to the old conflicts between the IRA and the UK !!

posted on Feb, 2 2005 @ 07:26 PM
link   
Hmm, what's this doing in Aircraft Projects?

I wouldn't worry too much, the IRA is just very pissed of that everyone (and I mean everyone, except them) is saying they did the £26million bank robbery that was recently carried out in Belfast.

We have been here before, IRA denials which subsequently turned into an admission of an 'operation unapproved by the leadership'.

(....and it's also true, in fairness, that they have been blamed for things in the past which turned out not to be them too. It's just that when you have the gov of the Republic of Ireland as adament as the British gov that they did it you pay a little more attention to what is being said.)

It may be that this was an act of bravado to calm their membership who are said to be very unhappy at the stalled political process despite significant IRA 'movement' and pledges.

Others point to this 'movement' and these proposed pledges being nothing like enough - whether it is ground-breaking and unheard of for the IRA or not.

My money is on nothing much happening until after the UK general election in may (which will see voting across NI for the general election and the local authority positions too).

After may?
Hmm, some are talking about major movement but as ever with NI it's a case of 'we shall see'.

Although some members of the IRA have apparantly been talking about desiring a return to 'war' the case for this would be more threadbare than at any time since partition IMO.

The people of Ireland north and south do not want a return to conflict, quite the opposite in fact; when all of the people of Ireland voted for the 'Good Friday Agreement' they voted for normal politics like everywhere else has in the developed western world, if NI is to unite with the Irish republic it will be through peaceful consent and not force.

The IRA (and all the various groups pertaining to all of this situation) cannot ignore that.

posted on Feb, 3 2005 @ 10:23 PM
link   
can some mod please move this thread to som place its supposed to be?????

join