It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Finally buying a GFX card

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 11 2017 @ 10:21 AM
link   
After more than a year of running my computer with no GFX card im finally going to take the plunge and buy a GTX 1080 TI.

I just cant decide between a Founders Edition or a MSI GTX 1080Ti GAMING X. Im more worried about noise from the fans than anything else. Id love to spring for a water cooled version but here in the uk the prices of the cards are way higher than in the US.

A MSI GTX 1080Ti GAMING X costs £750 while a foundfers edition is £700-£719.
edit on 11-4-2017 by PhoenixOD because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 11 2017 @ 10:23 AM
link   
a reply to: PhoenixOD

Gratz! I just got the 1060 and I love it!

Now to save up for a 1T SSD!

posted on Apr, 11 2017 @ 10:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: seeker1963

Gratz! I just got the 1060 and I love it!

Now to save up for a 1T SSD!

Mmmm nice

I got a 500gb ssd a few months back and its Heaven.

posted on Apr, 11 2017 @ 10:39 AM
link   

The cards with dual fans are meant to disperse heat from the card very quickly into the case and partly out the pack. The single fan cards are meant to only blow out the rear.

The 1000 series cards run very cool. I have a gtx 1070 I bought 3 weeks ago and it can run silent. I don't care for silent though, I set my fan to aggressive using precision. You can also set it to normal or low noise. I'd think that low noise may cause the card to thermal throttle a little depending on how you disperse heat from your case / room but the effects would be very minimal and unnoticeable at 1080p or 1440p.

I can almost guarantee noise will not be a problem on most normal fan settings, let alone quiet..
edit on 11-4-2017 by Antipathy17 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 11 2017 @ 10:44 AM
link   
Ive got a Thermaltake Level 10 GT case.

LG ultrawide 29" IPS

Strider 1500w psu

- 2 x 24" monitors
- Intel i7 6700k (liquid cooled)
- 16gb ddr4

posted on Apr, 11 2017 @ 10:46 AM
link   
a reply to: Antipathy17

Thanks Antipathy17

posted on Apr, 11 2017 @ 10:49 AM
link   

AMD's vega GPU's should be released next month so it might be worth waiting to see how they perform vs the 1080's, it's likely the AMD release will see 1080 prices fall too in order to compete, the only reason the 1080's are so expensive right now is because AMD's current best is the 480 which falls way way behind the 1080's so Nvidia have the monopoly on the high end cards and can price gouge.

Also 1080Ti is overkill unless you're going to be 4k gaming, a 1070 will do the job just as well on anything less than 4k and much cheaper

posted on Apr, 11 2017 @ 10:51 AM
link   
Why are you going for the 1080, do you game in 4K?
If you're only doing basic things on your PC then the fans hardly run to be fair. I'm running a 1070 and I haven't found anything to push it so far but I'm not running a 4K monitor.

posted on Apr, 11 2017 @ 10:52 AM
link   
a reply to: Discotech

i will be mostly using it for 3d modelling, video rendering and photo editing. All of which run off the GPU.

Im sure ill be able to squeeze a little gaming in as well
lol

posted on Apr, 11 2017 @ 10:56 AM
link   

Don't get the founders edition, wait for the price of 3rd-party overclocked/non-stock-cooled cards to come down a bit (or jump in now, just don't go with founders).

We call these just-better-than-reference cards and they tend to be essentially the first-gen "working set" of a new card. Pay the extra for good cooling solutions and you'll get your money's worth by having a card that lasts longer (generalisation, but the theory is sound) especially if you plan not to overclock anything.

Also the above point from Discotech is sound. These new AMD cards are most likely going to change the landscape quite a lot.

That said, the 10x0 xx cards from nVidia are some of the nicest jumps in power versus price that I've seen in a loooong time.

Source? Games Industry Professional, Graphics/Performance Quality Assurance

posted on Apr, 11 2017 @ 11:02 AM
link   

Wow ! , that is a meaty card and will keep you future proofed for a good few years.
Don't get the founders edition though , from what I've seen they run warm and the MSI will have higher clock speeds so better performance.

Officially jealous.

posted on Apr, 11 2017 @ 11:06 AM
link   
a reply to: gortex

Thanks m8, future proofing is the main idea as well. I have £340 put aside from the sale of my last two cards which has been sat around for over a year now lol

posted on Apr, 11 2017 @ 11:13 AM
link   
I agree with what the other posters are saying, don't go with the founders editions. My 1070 is an MSI card and it runs like a dream also Fan noise these days is hardly noticeable, I can't tell when the fans come on!

posted on Apr, 11 2017 @ 11:23 AM
link   
a reply to: Kurokage

Thanks Kurokage

posted on Apr, 11 2017 @ 11:26 AM
link   
I got 1070 its pretty faptastic

posted on Apr, 11 2017 @ 11:39 AM
link   

Now I'm jealous!

Added that case to my Amazon wishlist!

My mid case is just getting too tight for my clumsy arthritic fingers to work in comfortably...

edit on 11-4-2017 by seeker1963 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 11 2017 @ 11:46 AM
link   

I have a 1070 founders, it kicks ass, want to add another one in sli.

posted on Apr, 11 2017 @ 11:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: seeker1963

Now I'm jealous!

Added that case to my Amazon wishlist!

My mid case is just getting too tight for my clumsy arthritic fingers to work in comfortably...

Its a beast of a case, it weighs 12.7Kg / 28lb!
The PSU weighs 3.2kg / 7lb.

posted on Apr, 11 2017 @ 12:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: PhoenixOD
a reply to: Discotech

i will be mostly using it for 3d modelling, video rendering and photo editing. All of which run off the GPU.

Im sure ill be able to squeeze a little gaming in as well
lol

What kind of 3d modeling? If you're going to be using Solidworks or similar, the gaming cards don't work as well as the workstation cards. You will probably be fine though with a gaming card.

posted on Apr, 11 2017 @ 12:55 PM
link   

Ti editions do not offer much more in performance and you usually pay almost double..is 5 percent faster worth an extra 300 dollars or more ?

If you got that kinda cash to blow do it but i went with just the 1080 GTX.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join