It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

eurasian lynx : proposed rewilding in the UK

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 11 2017 @ 10:19 AM
link   
source

does my choice of primary source betray my bias ?

obligitory synopsis :

lynx uk - a naturalist // re-wilding advocacy group want to pilot " limited scale " rewiilding operations - of the eurasian lynx in the mainland UK - with a view to wider long term re-wilding

obligitory personal opinion :

this is a cluster# just waiting to happen

i am all for bio diversity and a passionate advocate of wild spaces - but after an absence of over 100 years - and the human devlopment that has occurred - there simply is not room for any meaningfull feral population of such a predator in the UK

its impact on sheep and chicken farming would be brutal and or prohibitvly expensive to manage

and as for domestic pets // companion animals - i predict a blood bath

lastly - illegal culling - will be the " norm " in certain areas

additional information
edit on 11-4-2017 by ignorant_ape because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 11 2017 @ 10:29 AM
link   
for complimentary information on the rewilding issies " in the uk - please read threads by ATS member " kester "

i cannot be arsed comiling a list - but :

thread list

contains all his relevant ones - scroll down till the title includes :

rewilding or pigs

posted on Apr, 11 2017 @ 10:34 AM
link   
a reply to: ignorant_ape

The hills of Scotland are completely developed now, they are??

posted on Apr, 11 2017 @ 10:47 AM
link   
While that won't affect me, I absolutely adore Lynx's. I have a highland Lynx cat! I can imagine however this would negatively impact farmers and their livestock.

-Alee

posted on Apr, 11 2017 @ 10:53 AM
link   

I am unfamiliar with the human population density of the proposed areas. Rewilding should be practiced with expertise and wisdom.

If all's safe and conditions are favorable,... just as a comparison, the reintroduction of wolves into Yellowstone Park completely revitalized and restored the ecosystems of both the land and water.

posted on Apr, 11 2017 @ 11:19 AM
link   
IF only they'd eat all those dirty ass pigeons.

posted on Apr, 11 2017 @ 11:28 AM
link   
While I have no problem with the concept... rarely does the concept survive interaction with Mother nature.. Not sure about the UK but here in the states we have some issues with Wolf reintroduction... most of it being stupid laws that allow any rancher to claim any dead cow/sheep etc as killed by wolf with zero investigation and immediate monetary payout.

ETA: this leads to increased numbers of "wolf kills", leading to calls to remove wolves from their protected status.

For the Animal Side... they decided to introduce mountain lions in Florida to breed with the Florida Panther to keep it from going extinct... supposedly these lions were "genetically" modified to only be able to breed one time... what hunters are encountering is making some people question the science behind the claim. (IE seeing more mountain lions... less Panthers)

So while I understand and appreciate how bringing back a predator can actually help the eviroment... they need to investigate every way this can possibly go wrong before doing it.
edit on 11-4-2017 by Irishhaf because: additional thought

posted on Apr, 11 2017 @ 01:26 PM
link   
Personally, I would go straight to lions and put them in the parks of townies who come up with these "re-wilding" notions.

While I think it's a good idea in principle, I cannot help think that the UK needs to protect existing wildlife and habitats first. Reintroducing healthy populations of birds and invertebrates in places where intensive agriculture has sterilised everything, would be a good start.

posted on Apr, 13 2017 @ 05:47 AM
link   

Like bollocks! We've already got the roaming teenage gangs making urban streets unsafe. Stray Staffies. Who wants an apex predator making the countryside a danger?

We've already got midges to worry about!! Where's the humanity here?

posted on Apr, 13 2017 @ 06:04 AM
link   

All the dangers and pitfalls you mention are self explanatory i would have thought...but the real crux of the issue for me at least, is...WHY?

What is there to be gained from reintroducing a wild, predator species of big cat into the UK? For what purpose?

There's simply too much against such a scheme and virtually nothing to be gained from it.

posted on Apr, 13 2017 @ 06:45 AM
link   
a reply to: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

no they are not - and as i didnt claim they were - the point of your reply is ????

what IS developed thought is much of the low lying areas - and sheltered habitats

news flash - a lynx cannot survive a scottish winter above 500m - they need forrest cover for at least part of the year

further i question the availiability of a food chain to sustain them

hint sheep are going to look mighty tasty mighty quickly to any feral lynx

posted on Apr, 13 2017 @ 06:51 AM
link   
a reply to: Sahabi

hi - we really are a quite small island - and while the yellowstone wolves is a good example of re-wilding going right - we [ the UK simply lack the APPROPRATE size and scope of habitat to support a viable lynx population

yes we have 100s of square killometers of " wilderness " - but its a patchwork - and our true wild areas are at altitudes that dont support a prey population - or provide a sutible habitat

feral lynx - are going to instantly relocate themselves to more pleasant surrounding - which are already in use

just my opinion byt " lynx UK " - are a pack of delusional muppets

posted on Apr, 13 2017 @ 06:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: NerdGoddess
While that won't affect me, I absolutely adore Lynx's.

They are also dangerous. Unlike wolves they don't hunt in pack. They just silently creep about in the woods, and then suddenly jump and take down a deer with a bite at the neck.

I wouldn't want any of those around my house. And I am saying this as someone who is practically living in a forest.

posted on Apr, 13 2017 @ 11:38 AM
link   
a reply to: swanne

No I wouldn't want a wild lynx in mine either.

Highland lynxs are a domesticated breed, they just have similar appearances, my cat William has curled ears, poly paws (extra digits) and a natural bob tail. Hes really the sweetest cat I've ever had, and he plays fetch! when he passes we will look for another like him.

Now a wild lynx, oh no, no thank you lol. I just love the wild ones from afar.

-Alee

new topics

top topics

join