It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

F35 LRIP contracts

page: 1

join
share:
RAB

posted on Apr, 11 2017 @ 08:40 AM
link   
Hi Guys and Girls,

I were just wondering if we know or any guesses on the last LRIP contract before serial production starts.

The reason I ask is due to the fact I'm interestedto see the cost and time savings vs LRIP.

Rich

posted on Apr, 11 2017 @ 09:02 AM
link   
a reply to: RAB

They are tooling up for full rate production. They're expecting the decision in 2019. The Pentagon plans to go ahead once the final software is fielded.

posted on Apr, 11 2017 @ 11:22 AM
link   
Have we not concluded that the F35 is outside the budget for as functional, operation ready aircraft? Seems like a slimdown harrier to me. aside from the vertical take off, what makes this interceptor worth the price tag?

posted on Apr, 11 2017 @ 11:27 AM
link   
a reply to: I1Am1Ready1Are1You

It's not an interceptor first off. It's a tactical bomber with air to air capability.

As for its capabilities, it's the most advanced aircraft ever built, it's more survivable than just about anything else flying, and can perform the mission of three other types of aircraft while flying a strike mission.

posted on Apr, 11 2017 @ 01:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: RAB
Hi Guys and Girls,

I were just wondering if we know or any guesses on the last LRIP contract before serial production starts.

The reason I ask is due to the fact I'm interestedto see the cost and time savings vs LRIP.

Rich

The DoD just imposed a unilateral LRIP contract which Lockheed can either accept or go to court to protest. It is $6.1 Billion for 57 aircraft. That is an average 3.7% reduction from LRIP 8 in December 2014. Lockheed hasn't said what it will do.

posted on Apr, 11 2017 @ 01:35 PM
link   
a reply to: F4guy

That was LRIP 9. LRIP 10 was for 90 aircraft, and dropped roughly 7% from 9. It put the A model below $100M. LRIP 11 is being negotiated now.

posted on Apr, 11 2017 @ 05:24 PM
link   
a reply to: I1Am1Ready1Are1You

Seems like a slimdown harrier to me

Keep in mind the Harrier AV-8B weighs 13,968 lb, the F-35B weighs 32,300 lb. The fuel capacity of the F-35B is similar to the empty weight of an AV-8B.

I would describe the F-35 as being a stealthy F-16 or classic F/A-18 permanently configured for A2G in terms of fuel capacity, targeting pods, and available hardpoints, yet having much more advanced avionics.

I think the concept of the program is a mistake. It's a tri-service aircraft, with a huge amount of capabilities and new technologies in the aircraft from the beginning rather than an incremental approach, gives Lockheed Martin a monopoly, and has a huge amount of concurrency which means it's being fielded in large numbers before development is complete. With that said it's also extremely advanced and with the F-35A coming in at a similar cost to 4th generation fighters it's actually not terrible value. Obviously though, if we produced 4th generation fighters at the rate the F-35A is planned to be built at, their cost would come down quiet a lot. One has to wonder though - what would the F-35 look like if the concept did not include these mistakes. Either way, too late to change it now.
edit on 11/4/17 by C0bzz because: (no reason given)

top topics

join