It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

China tells N. Korea turn you coal freighters around We don't need your stinken coal

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 11 2017 @ 06:44 AM
link   
China tells N. Korea turn you coal freighters around We don't need your stinken coal (paraphrasing just a little)
I remember articles that I read and even threads here on ATS that said Trump can do nothing to save the USA's coal industry.. Looks like they were all wrong. China burns more coal than all the countries of the world combined if my memory serves me correct.. If not then they are a much bigger consumer than anyone else on the globe..

Enter Trump and China, stage right.. Even if this was in the works before the meeting in Florida it is still good news for the mining industry and American JOBS.

Exclusive: North Korean ships head home after China orders coal returned.... By John Ruwitch and Meng Meng REUTERS

SHANGHAI (Reuters) - A fleet of North Korean cargo ships is heading home to the port of Nampo, the majority of it fully laden, after China ordered its trading companies to return coal from the isolated country, shipping data shows.
Following repeated missile tests that drew international criticism, China banned all imports of North Korean coal on Feb. 26, cutting off the country's most important export product.

OK finally something is done with the problem child N.Korea has become.. But wait, there is more..

To make up for the shortfall from North Korea, China has ramped up imports from the United States in an unexpected boon for U.S. President Donald Trump, who has declared he wants to revive his country's struggling coal sector.

Eikon data shows no U.S. coking coal was exported to China between late 2014 and 2016, but shipments soared to over 400,000 tonnes by late February.

Evidently unless another war of words (USA/CHINA) starts we can expect the export tonnage to increase ?
There will be someone come by and complain about the use of coal for burning and I must admit China does not scrub their coal burning process as does the USA however they are starting to build plants that use coal gasification which is a much cleaner method of burning coal... China is one of the reasons I have said more than once all the carbon tax on the West is BS with China being the biggest offender.
newsletter.thaivisa.com...

posted on Apr, 11 2017 @ 06:49 AM
link   
At $53 per ton, 400,000 tons of coal is worth a bit over $21 million. That sounds pretty good for only a few months. Okay further research shows Kentucky's coal industry had a revenue of around $530 million.

Source

Just to put it in some perspective.

However, both a policy of coal exports to China and China refusing North Korean coal exports are commendable. This could affect North Korea's economy and might show a sign of China being more serious about dealing with North Korea.
edit on 11amTue, 11 Apr 2017 06:56:16 -0500kbamkAmerica/Chicago by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 11 2017 @ 06:53 AM
link   
a reply to: 727Sky

Its just dawned on me...can you imagine how horrific being a coal miner in North Koea must be?

This is big, NK doesnt have a lot of income opportunities, I hope the people dont have to suffer much longer before sweet and sour pork gets ousted.

posted on Apr, 11 2017 @ 06:56 AM
link   

Well that leaves NK with textiles to India for its export money. Taking coal away is going to hurt coming from China.

posted on Apr, 11 2017 @ 06:57 AM
link   
a reply to: BlueJacket

Being a coal miner might be one of the best gigs around in North Korea. At least I hope it would allow someone enough income to have a place to live and stuff... I really know nothing about living conditions in North Korea, I can't even imagine it.

Wow... it looks like no indoor plumbing for the middle class or below. And most people earn from $0-$10 a month plus $3 a month from the government.
edit on 11amTue, 11 Apr 2017 07:02:13 -0500kbamkAmerica/Chicago by darkbake because: (no reason given)

edit on 11amTue, 11 Apr 2017 07:02:36 -0500kbamkAmerica/Chicago by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 11 2017 @ 07:04 AM
link   
I think North Koreas days are coming to a end

+7 more 
posted on Apr, 11 2017 @ 07:17 AM
link   
This could be Trump's doing.

A new trade deal with China?
NK gets punished.
China gets cheaper, cleaner coal.
US gets more jobs for miners.

Trump Trifecta.

posted on Apr, 11 2017 @ 07:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: BlueJacket

Its just dawned on me...can you imagine how horrific being a coal miner in North Koea must be?

This is big, NK doesnt have a lot of income opportunities, I hope the people dont have to suffer much longer before sweet and sour pork gets ousted.

If I remember correctly, being a coal miner in China is not exactly pleasant. They have a horrible safety record.people are cheaper than safety equipment.

posted on Apr, 11 2017 @ 07:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: crazyewok

If China gets serious about screwing with them then I would say you are correct, great Ewok from across the pond!

posted on Apr, 11 2017 @ 07:26 AM
link   
Hopefully people in charge around Kim Il wake up and smell the roses.

If he remains in power it's going to be bad for NK. It's probably in their best interest if he had some sort of unfortunate accident.

posted on Apr, 11 2017 @ 07:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22

originally posted by: BlueJacket

If I remember correctly, being a coal miner in China is not exactly pleasant. They have a horrible safety record.people are cheaper than safety equipment.

Oh yeah but at least we hear about the disasters and the owners are held responsible if there were serious safety violations and the people can protest.

But I never heard anything close to what I've heard out of china about NK coal mines.

posted on Apr, 11 2017 @ 07:36 AM
link   
Didn't China also just send a small invasion sized force of troops over there?

That sounds like my age of empires strategy... Cut off an ally and invade them while they stagger. Boom, new China.

posted on Apr, 11 2017 @ 07:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: IAMTAT
This could be Trump's doing.

A new trade deal with China?
NK gets punished.
China gets cheaper, cleaner coal.
US gets more jobs for miners.

Trump Trifecta.

The Polar Opposite of what Clinton or 0bama pursued.

posted on Apr, 11 2017 @ 07:44 AM
link   
Wow, this is certainly interesting.

A lot going on involving North Korea, I wonder how they are taking all this information? you know they're paranoid as hell, scouring all kinds of web sources. I bet they even on this very site...

posted on Apr, 11 2017 @ 07:46 AM
link   

China burns more coal than all the countries of the world combined if my memory serves me correct..

They have over a billion people too. Thanks to all that capital infused from the United States , they are becoming industrialized, meaning consuming more resources. Not as much as the uS though, per capita.

OK finally something is done with the problem child N.Korea has become.. But wait, there is more..

Sent to bed without dinner? As if all the embargo, blockades and sanctions aren't enough already... our Death Star fleet approaches their shores even now.

let alone the increased hype currently in the main stream about the poor little countries giant threat to the world .

Meh , the US uses up the worlds resources more than anyone, and burns up whole countries wth impunity.

NK is higher on our s*** list presently.

School yard bully is looking for fresh victims.

posted on Apr, 11 2017 @ 07:48 AM
link   
I was reading about this yesterday. From what I read it seemed that this move by China is more about a lessening demand for coal within China than a punishment.

China is still NKs biggest trading partner and their foreign policy with them hasn't changed much in recent years despite tough talk from China; ...they re still besties

China has also increasingly agreed with the international community in punishing North Korea for its nuclear ambitions. (Beijing summoned the North Korean ambassador after the 2013 nuclear test to voice disapproval.) But at the same time, China opened a container shipping route, a high-speed rail line and created a trade zone at the border in 2015, boosting bilateral trade.

And that's all led to increases in trade.

In 15 years, trade volume has climbed more than tenfold, rising from $488 million in 2000 to $5.4 billion in 2015. The dip in 2015 is due to the drop in prices of key trade items such as coal, coupled with an economic slowdown in China, according to the Korea Trade-Investment Promotion Agency (KOTRA), a South Korean state agency.

www.usatoday.com...

www.cfr.org...

edit on 11-4-2017 by Tucket because: (no reason given)

edit on 11-4-2017 by Tucket because: who knew?

posted on Apr, 11 2017 @ 07:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: crazyewok

Hah, North Korea has stood up to the Empire for decades. Little tiny Korea, as defiant as Cuba, Vietnam, Afghanistan, etc.

We couldn't take the whole Korean peninsula last time wth a whole Blitzkrieg, either.

posted on Apr, 11 2017 @ 07:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: darkbake

Being a coal miner might be one of the best gigs around in North Korea. At least I hope it would allow someone enough income to have a place to live and stuff... I really know nothing about living conditions in North Korea, I can't even imagine it.

If you google "north korean slave coal mines" i belive you will be in for a sad shock

posted on Apr, 11 2017 @ 07:54 AM
link   
a reply to: Tucket

I was reading about this yesterday. From what I read it seemed that this move by China is more about a lessening demand for coal within China than a punishment.

But theres no anti chinese spin in the truth, shame on you.

You need to be more 'global minded'.

posted on Apr, 11 2017 @ 07:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: kamatty

originally posted by: darkbake

If you google "north korean slave coal mines" i believe you will be in for a sad shock

All you'll find is more propaganda about the evils of still sovereign nations. Google US practices slavery on migrant workers.
edit on 11-4-2017 by intrptr because: link

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join