It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My Thoughts & Prayers...!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 11 2017 @ 03:46 AM
link   
People who just post "My thoughts & prayers go to the victims, stay safe" and nothing else in a thread discussing a tragedy really wind me up. Its such a social media based brain dead sheeple kind of comment that really has nothing to do with the victims and their families. Its all about getting attention for themselves so people can pat them on the back. I seriously think its bordering on off topic if they have nothing else to say and should be removed.

posted on Apr, 11 2017 @ 04:02 AM
link   
a reply to: PhoenixOD

Well, if you want to live in a disconnected world where we cannot show empathy and sympathy for victims we do not know, go right ahead.

posted on Apr, 11 2017 @ 04:16 AM
link   

PhoenixOD,

I dislike social media. My experiences of it have been almost entirely negative. However, this is not a social media issue. This is an issue of constriction, restraints placed upon people that they did not ask for or want, and emotion.

Emotion without expression boils in the gut, creates neurochemical imbalances which LAST, and if one does not shed the futile tear, scream into the uncaring void, or utter a word of condolence upon which they would otherwise choke, then all that happens is that they bottle these things up. Sorrow, pain, anger... these things under pressure can create some of the most appalling depressions, murderous rages, and disassociative disorders you can imagine.

While I understand your feelings on this matter, these utterances DO serve a purpose. Some of them may even assist with the grieving process, for the friends and family of those affected.

posted on Apr, 11 2017 @ 06:03 AM
link   

My thoughts and prayers go out to your indignation.

posted on Apr, 11 2017 @ 06:47 AM
link   

I think perhaps sometimes people just don't know what to say but, want to show support and empathy toward the victims. So many senseless acts of violence and hatred expressed toward others and I think maybe some folks just feel overwhelmed with it all and helpless or hopeless to stop any of it.
I hope that we don't all become apathetic to the struggles and difficulties of those around us and even far away.
My 'anonymous' friends on this forum have been more supportive of me lately than my off line family and friends and even a simple PM saying 'I was thinking of you' can mean so much. We don't have to get into the nitty gritty, just knowing that people are behind you and care (even digitally) and a few words can be enough to make someone else smile or feel comfort that they may not have in their world.

posted on Apr, 11 2017 @ 06:54 AM
link   

by amazing co-incidence - i had a real life convo on this topic last week with a " thoughts and prayers " cultist

i stumped him with my take on it :

" thoughts and prayes " might make you feel better about your failure to do anything tangible , but i prefer a £25 donation to the charity with the best reccord of low admin overheads and effective feild work

he spat his dummy and refused to speak to me for the rest of the day

posted on Apr, 11 2017 @ 07:21 AM
link   

Is the world so rich in thoughtfulness or prayer that we cannot always use more? Besides, in great moments of shock or loss or despair, it's all we can lean on. Reflections, calls for mercy or guidance.

By your logic, if I see someone who needs help, I should just mind my business since helping or offering support is too cliche?

Give the world a break for pity's sake.

edit on 4/11/2017 by kosmicjack because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 11 2017 @ 07:39 AM
link   

I think youre wrong. You dont say much at a funeral...where just a word or two is enough for the family.

Just because we are a discussion forum, doesnt mean we can demand nor command a certain amount of wording from all members and languages, from all of the countries they reply from.

I think about the only "requirement" (which isnt really enforced as Im referring to you here)...is we just dont post a single word or sentence...yet we sometimes do just that. At times? Its enough.

Best...

posted on Apr, 11 2017 @ 09:37 AM
link   

People who just post "My thoughts & prayers go to the victims, stay safe" and nothing else in a thread discussing a tragedy really wind me up.

Wow. Just freaking wow. With all of the pain and suffering and tragedy and cruelty in the world, it's the people showing love and compassion and kindness that wind you up.

Its such a social media based brain dead sheeple kind of comment...

Pain and suffering have always been with us... long before social media... as have good and kind and warm-hearted people who know and understand that when tragedy strikes, and there's nothing else you can do, a little love goes a loooooooong way. It's a crying shame that you don't know that, much less appreciate that, but it sure explains your OP.

...that really has nothing to do with the victims and their families.

It has EVERYTHING to do with the victims and their families. When pain and grief are overwhelming, love and kindness provide a very real balance; emotionally, spiritually, mentally and physically. It gives them a light in the darkness, a validation that they're really not alone, a little something to hold onto that all is not lost...

Its all about getting attention for themselves so people can pat them on the back.

What are you even talking about??? What attention? What pats on the back? "Hey! Bravo for you for wishing someone good thoughts in their time of need! You're soooooooooooo awesome!!!" said no one ever!!!

No one expects anything in return from anyone for expressing the good thoughts for someone.

I seriously think its bordering on off topic if they have nothing else to say and should be removed.

And I seriously think it's bordering on sociopathy and/or psychopathy if someone has such a problem with people being good and kind to others. But I would never ask for or want their removal... it's good to know, so I'm happy to let them out themselves and be the bad example of who the rest of us don't want to be.
edit on 11-4-2017 by Boadicea because: spelling

posted on Apr, 11 2017 @ 09:43 AM
link   
People say, "Thoughts and prayers" because it is nicer than saying, "Sucks to be you."

posted on Apr, 11 2017 @ 09:48 AM
link   
a reply to: mysterioustranger

I find it especially offensive when the tragedy is religion motivated.

posted on Apr, 11 2017 @ 09:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: ignorant_ape

by amazing co-incidence - i had a real life convo on this topic last week with a " thoughts and prayers " cultist

i stumped him with my take on it :

" thoughts and prayes " might make you feel better about your failure to do anything tangible , but i prefer a £25 donation to the charity with the best reccord of low admin overheads and effective feild work

he spat his dummy and refused to speak to me for the rest of the day

Excellent real world example.

posted on Apr, 11 2017 @ 09:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy
People say, "Thoughts and prayers" because it is nicer than saying, "Sucks to be you."

So thats the only other option is it?

posted on Apr, 11 2017 @ 09:52 AM
link   
a reply to: Boadicea

people have a right to think and say what they like.

Save it for Facebook or the chitchat forum if you have nothing else constructive to add to the thread.

posted on Apr, 11 2017 @ 09:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: PhoenixOD

originally posted by: DBCowboy

So thats the only other option is it?

Nope.

Name some others.

posted on Apr, 11 2017 @ 09:56 AM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

I refer you to the reply above.

posted on Apr, 11 2017 @ 09:59 AM
link   

a reply to: DBCowboy

I refer you to the reply above.

"Sucks to be you."

posted on Apr, 11 2017 @ 10:00 AM
link   

a reply to: Boadicea

people have a right to think and say what they like.

Says the guy who wants folks removed for saying nice things!!! LOL!!!

Save it for Facebook or the chitchat forum if you have nothing else constructive to add to the thread.

But I don't do Facebook... and you said I have a right to think and say what I like.. oh wait... that was after saying that some people should be removed for saying nice things....

Oh dear! I'm soooooooooooo confused

posted on Apr, 11 2017 @ 01:39 PM
link   

Well. ..you got the right to feel like that..I can relate being a Christian working for the city of Dearborn MI
MS

posted on Apr, 11 2017 @ 02:39 PM
link   
a reply to: mysterioustranger

Is that quite a bad area? Ive only ever visited the south when ive been to the US.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join