It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sikorsky and Boeing drop Future Verticle Lift promo vids

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 10 2017 @ 05:46 PM
link   
Lockheed released a couple promo videos hyping their and Boeing's efforts into creating a unified family of systems for future vertical lift vehicles to eventually replace the Blackhawks and Apache family helicopters.

Sikorsky - Boeing Future Vertical Lift is a scalable design based on proven X2 Technology™. Designed for long range, high speed, superior hover performance and unmatched maneuverability, the Future Vertical Lift program will shape the U.S. military’s helicopter fleet of the future. Learn more: lmt.co...

edit on 10-4-2017 by Sammamishman because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 10 2017 @ 08:14 PM
link   
a reply to: Sammamishman

No replies??

Sammamish, as far my opinion goes, that is pretty cool! Dual rotating blades, clutched thruster, increased range and payload, and composite body...

Nice to see the team up! Aircraft over the next five years are going to change... and some drastically.

posted on Apr, 10 2017 @ 08:19 PM
link   
After watching the video I want one for myself!

Who could say no to a pitch like that?

posted on Apr, 10 2017 @ 08:30 PM
link   

Convertiplanes: The 1960s concept that never gets old™

posted on Apr, 10 2017 @ 08:41 PM
link   
Thank you sammamishman for sharing. I try to stay up to date on all aircraft types, and thanks to you and zaph I usually am, but tbh I have never seem these helicopters and Sikorsky is only about 10 minutes from my home. I've actually been trying to start a new career there for about a year, but it's about a 2 year waiting list for a management position and I have multiple people on the inside putting in a good word.That's how hard it is to get in there but once I'm in I'm never leaving.

Back on topic, those copters and just amazing. Just from those 2 short video's you can see the amount of time and engineering that went into designing and building of these. And they boogey that shot of the flyby was awesome.

I started off my day watching the astronauts from the ISS returning home, went to work and worked on a pw2000 jet engine and after spending time with the wife and son I got to see helicopters that are only a few miles up the road in action thanks to you for sharing. Overall it's been a great day and it's threads like this that bring and will keep me here.

Once again, thank you.

edit on 4/10/2017 by 772STi because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 10 2017 @ 09:11 PM
link   
a reply to: 772STi

Your welcome.

posted on Apr, 11 2017 @ 01:26 AM
link   

Meh, looks like lipstick on a pig.

The future of vertical lift when it comes to range and speed are tiltrotors imho.

posted on Apr, 11 2017 @ 01:30 AM
link   
a reply to: moebius

Why?

Tilt rotors are more complex and expensive to both develop and field. Plus there are certain things you simply cannot do as well with a tilt rotor that you can do with a pusher/coax system. The future is undoubtedly going to be a mix of all forms. As it usually goes, horses for courses.

posted on Apr, 14 2017 @ 06:02 PM
link   
Can the pusher be reversed to slow it down?

I wish it focused on the attack variant in the background, imagine what that could bring to the party.

Should do an ASW variant too!

posted on Apr, 14 2017 @ 06:06 PM
link   

I'm looking forward to catching the Valor on the ramp, or hopefully in the air, later this year in Amarillo.

posted on Apr, 14 2017 @ 08:04 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

That will be cool. The competition between Bell and Sikorsky will be fun to watch.

posted on Apr, 14 2017 @ 08:12 PM
link   

Yeah it will be. Personally I like the quad Osprey that they use in the Transformers movies.

posted on Apr, 15 2017 @ 09:56 PM
link   

Times 2

I miss the heavies though...
Mi26

posted on Apr, 15 2017 @ 10:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: Blackfinger

Times 2

I miss the heavies though...
Mi26

Even if Military does't need heavy transport helicopters, give them to Search and Rescue. Very useful for lifting cars up or away cliff. Search and Rescue department has #ty helo's right now. Can't even save people from being squash by heavy vehicles.
edit on 15-4-2017 by makemap because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 19 2017 @ 10:09 PM
link   
Here is the recent LM video of the S-97 Raider, the Kiowa replacement bid from Sikorsky:

top topics

join