It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The right to offend and the right to be offended

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 10 2017 @ 06:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: Advantage

originally posted by: jimmyx
I've heard it called "the empathy gene"...something that sociopaths lack....if one does not have an understanding of the personal suffering of others, then they are unable to understand how their words would harm them

Oh bah.

I dont understand a lot of times when Im "supposed" to feel this or that about something. I dont.. so I dont pretend to. Example? Right here on ATS. A girl on social media committed suicide. People in the thread were flailing around and sooooo sad.. sooooo effected. I wasnt. Im not going to pretend to be. I mean, sure, too bad the girl killed herself, but Im supposed to feel this **something** and if I dont Im a sociopath?? Yes.. I was called that and more. I believe there is a "pseudo empathy gene" though... people who fake all of these deep feelings and compassion so others think they are so awesomely empathetic and on some elevated plane of existence.

Yes, it goes beyond just the person offended or not even offended.

Like the mascot BS for one. Cultural appropriation is another.

There is a difference of being offended and injustice altho there are lots of people who think they are the same and expect everyone to get onboard and expend a lot of energy just to say "look how good I am."

posted on Apr, 10 2017 @ 06:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: LesMisanthrope
a reply to: Deaf Alien

I understand what you are saying. But it isn't ideal. I was trying to clarify my post. Apparently some people took it the wrong way (which is why one poster thought I supported Antifa).

It did read like you were advocating it.

Yes it is ideal. Speech is speech. Not a single person in the history of the world has been harmed by a word.

Realy? I would say say people have been inspired to do wicked acts by the words of people they listen too

Words are not harmless, I know you love writing them here but please don't dismiss the power of what words can do

posted on Apr, 10 2017 @ 06:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: Whereismypassword

I understand what you are saying. But it isn't ideal. I was trying to clarify my post. Apparently some people took it the wrong way (which is why one poster thought I supported Antifa).

It did read like you were advocating it.

Yes it is ideal. Speech is speech. Not a single person in the history of the world has been harmed by a word.

Realy? I would say say people have been inspired to do wicked acts by the words of people they listen too

Words are not harmless, I know you love writing them here but please don't dismiss the power of what words can do

Words only have the power you give them.

posted on Apr, 10 2017 @ 06:18 PM
link   
a reply to: Whereismypassword

"The pen is mightier than the sword."

posted on Apr, 10 2017 @ 06:19 PM
link   
a reply to: Advantage

As do I.. but like DA was trying to say... its not a perfect world and sometimes youll wind up choking on your own teeth by exercising your freedom of speech.

Besides, if whitey brought me out a saltine Id shank a bitch and say it shouldve been a Ritz.

No one is saying you should not expect any retaliation. In fact that is to be expected—it's the going rate—and the history of censorship is a long and bloody one.

Nonetheless, free speech defends the idiots who abuse it just as much as those who require it. That's how universal rights work. If we don't protect another's right to speak, no matter how vulgar, then we do not believe in free speech.

posted on Apr, 10 2017 @ 06:20 PM
link   
a reply to: burgerbuddy

We have no power over how certain words may affect others.

You might not take the bible seriously but it has had consequences for all of humanity that some people have and do.

posted on Apr, 10 2017 @ 06:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: burgerbuddy

I've heard it called "the empathy gene"...something that sociopaths lack....if one does not have an understanding of the personal suffering of others, then they are unable to understand how their words would harm them

Oh bah.

I dont understand a lot of times when Im "supposed" to feel this or that about something. I dont.. so I dont pretend to. Example? Right here on ATS. A girl on social media committed suicide. People in the thread were flailing around and sooooo sad.. sooooo effected. I wasnt. Im not going to pretend to be. I mean, sure, too bad the girl killed herself, but Im supposed to feel this **something** and if I dont Im a sociopath?? Yes.. I was called that and more. I believe there is a "pseudo empathy gene" though... people who fake all of these deep feelings and compassion so others think they are so awesomely empathetic and on some elevated plane of existence.

There is a difference of being offended and injustice altho there are lots of people who think they are the same and expect everyone to get onboard and expend a lot of energy just to say "look how good I am."

I can speak to the mascot thing.. for myself anyway.. and folks I talk with. Im NDN.. as in both parents born on the rez. I dont care if you have an indian mascot or call yourselves the redskins. I really dont care. HOWEVER.. if youre not NDN and misrepresent yourself as one ( particularly at powwow) then you get whatever your pretindian ass has coming. Think Rachel Dolezal.. youre just THAT stupid.

posted on Apr, 10 2017 @ 06:21 PM
link   

Wicked acts are performed by the ones who commit them, not by words.

posted on Apr, 10 2017 @ 06:24 PM
link   
a reply to: LesMisanthrope

physical harm is one thing. physiologically, every human on this planet is susceptible to hurtful language.

and its not limited to humans either.
and its not a fact im going to try to pretend isnt truth to simply win an argument because of 'technicality'.

you can hurt people by ways other than physical harm.
if words didnt hurt or offend us, then we wouldnt be using words to communicate. we use speech as a tool, and that tool affects us as much as a punch in the face.

words have the power to affect our brains, subsequently, our emotions. just like music can help heal or give us tingly feelings, or certain frequencies can disrupt our senses.

our means communication fundamentally affects us. can words hurt us the way a bee sting can? no. does the brain interpret what is pain the through the same lobes it does for physical and mental anguish, yes.

posted on Apr, 10 2017 @ 06:25 PM
link   

I think I understand where you are coming from. Like the German people had a choice to listen and act on Hitler's words.
And yes Godwin's Law wins once again.

posted on Apr, 10 2017 @ 06:27 PM
link   

Wicked acts are performed by the ones who commit them, not by words.

Fair point, but here's a scenario.

There's 3 people in a locked room, one very authorotitive manipulative, one very gullible and obedient...and you.

The first guy hands the second guy a knife and suggests that it'd be fun to stick you with it...what would you do? I'd take the kife off the second guy and stick the first.
edit on 10-4-2017 by HeathenJessie because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 10 2017 @ 06:27 PM
link   

a reply to: Advantage

It isn't my duty to offend others. It is my duty to defend those who do. I still believe in manners.

Imagine the world if everyone defended free speech.

posted on Apr, 10 2017 @ 06:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: burgerbuddy

Oh bah.

I can speak to the mascot thing.. for myself anyway.. and folks I talk with. Im NDN.. as in both parents born on the rez. I dont care if you have an indian mascot or call yourselves the redskins. I really dont care. HOWEVER.. if youre not NDN and misrepresent yourself as one ( particularly at powwow) then you get whatever your pretindian ass has coming. Think Rachel Dolezal.. youre just THAT stupid.

Of course.

It's like the difference between Lizzy "dances with self" warren and a tomahawk missile or apache helicopter.

www.theblaze.com...

And I shouldn't be offended for you, especially if you are not offended.

posted on Apr, 10 2017 @ 06:48 PM
link   

posted on Apr, 10 2017 @ 06:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: odzeandennz

physical harm is one thing. physiologically, every human on this planet is susceptible to hurtful language.

and its not limited to humans either.
and its not a fact im going to try to pretend isnt truth to simply win an argument because of 'technicality'.

you can hurt people by ways other than physical harm.
if words didnt hurt or offend us, then we wouldnt be using words to communicate. we use speech as a tool, and that tool affects us as much as a punch in the face.

words have the power to affect our brains, subsequently, our emotions. just like music can help heal or give us tingly feelings, or certain frequencies can disrupt our senses.

our means communication fundamentally affects us. can words hurt us the way a bee sting can? no. does the brain interpret what is pain the through the same lobes it does for physical and mental anguish, yes.

You are getting into a whole nother realm with that scenario.

Brainwashing, lies, abuse are beyond feeling offended by a few words from strangers.

We've all deserved being called an idiot at one time or another or done something really stupid, sometimes everyday.

Who can defend every post they've written, honestly?

Anyway, I think I'm drifting OT.

posted on Apr, 10 2017 @ 06:56 PM
link   
a reply to: odzeandennz

Pseudoscience.

posted on Apr, 10 2017 @ 06:57 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

Imagine the world if everyone defended free speech.

One can dream.

posted on Apr, 10 2017 @ 06:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: seeker1963

originally posted by: Deaf Alien
a reply to: DBCowboy

You do have the right to get punched in your mouth if you say the wrong thing to someone.

Antifa supporter?

You also have the right to be arrested or have your ass handed back to ya!

Without the silver platter
Goth

posted on Apr, 10 2017 @ 06:59 PM
link   

I think I understand where you are coming from. Like the German people had a choice to listen and act on Hitler's words.
And yes Godwin's Law wins once again.

Don't underestimate how much censorship had an effect on the results of Nazi Germany. No contrary opinion was allowed. No criticism allowed. In fact, Germany had hate-speech laws by modern standards, and the Nazis still gained power. Laws against speech do not work.

posted on Apr, 10 2017 @ 07:01 PM
link   
One of my favorites:

edit on 10-4-2017 by buckwhizzle because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join