It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The right to offend and the right to be offended

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 10 2017 @ 05:36 PM
link   
Someone being fat doesn't affect me in the end. People can be fat if they want, the reason I'm not offended is because there are no real consequences for me.

I'll take offence to something if I believe there are real world consequences...and religion has consequences, disastrous consequences. It's bad for the world in most cases, not just for the individual that practises it.

There's no harm in being offended when it's real, the only type of offense that bothers me if the fake type, people who just have an axe to grind and are looking for excuses and reasons to be argumentative and cause trouble.

There are many of them around, no passion or belief just a lust for confrontation and aggro.

posted on Apr, 10 2017 @ 05:39 PM
link   
a reply to: Deaf Alien

LOL another one that do not understand the point of my post. Maybe I should have clarified. Oh well.

By all means, clarify.

posted on Apr, 10 2017 @ 05:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: LesMisanthrope
a reply to: DBCowboy

As you can see ("you have the right to get punched in the mouth"), most do not know what freedom of speech is, and why it is sacred. Some equate it with the first amendment ("The 1st Amendment only applies to government restricting speech") without understanding why it is protected by the first amendment and UN human rights codes in the first place. They have no clue, and it is this ignorance that will see it swallowed whole.

Freedom of speech does not entitle one to offend another or do you think we all have the right to do so?

This site is moderated very well but just look at the comments on YouTube ect ect to see people saying stuff to other posters that I'm pretty sure they wouldn't say in the same room

posted on Apr, 10 2017 @ 05:42 PM
link   
a reply to: Whereismypassword

Freedom of speech does not entitle one to offend another or do you think we all have the right to do so?

This site is moderated very well but just look at the comments on YouTube ect ect to see people saying stuff to other posters that I'm pretty sure they wouldn't say in the same room

Sure it does. The cost of having to hear something offensive is far less than having to silence it.

posted on Apr, 10 2017 @ 05:45 PM
link   
a reply to: Whereismypassword

Lol...yeah, the YouTube commets are like the wild west.

Most of the time if I watch a video on YouTube I read the comments for a laugh. I don't think I've ever been insulted by a comment on YouTube.

Even if I believed 100% that the people posting them were sincere and being serious...I think I'd struggle to be offended, 99% of it is trolling.

posted on Apr, 10 2017 @ 05:48 PM
link   
a reply to: LesMisanthrope

You have the right to be an asshole but do not expect others not to be offended. Also I have already clarified few posts below on the first page.

posted on Apr, 10 2017 @ 05:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: jimmyx
I've heard it called "the empathy gene"...something that sociopaths lack....if one does not have an understanding of the personal suffering of others, then they are unable to understand how their words would harm them

Oh bah.

I dont understand a lot of times when Im "supposed" to feel this or that about something. I dont.. so I dont pretend to. Example? Right here on ATS. A girl on social media committed suicide. People in the thread were flailing around and sooooo sad.. sooooo effected. I wasnt. Im not going to pretend to be. I mean, sure, too bad the girl killed herself, but Im supposed to feel this **something** and if I dont Im a sociopath?? Yes.. I was called that and more. I believe there is a "pseudo empathy gene" though... people who fake all of these deep feelings and compassion so others think they are so awesomely empathetic and on some elevated plane of existence.

posted on Apr, 10 2017 @ 05:51 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

I'm offended that I missed the thread your talking aboot!

My Uncle has been saying this for years and years. Ingrained it into his kids and kin.

Tact always goes a long way as well.

posted on Apr, 10 2017 @ 05:55 PM
link   

You have the right to be an asshole but do not expect others not to be offended. Also I have already clarified few posts below on the first page.

No one expects anyone else not to be offended, only that we expect them not to act on that offence. Committing violence against someone because you don't like what you hear is oppression, and its a property of the most despotic and tyrannical societies.

posted on Apr, 10 2017 @ 05:59 PM
link   

I know but the point is free speech isn't without consequences. In an ideal world nobody gets offended and violent but alas that is not to be.

I have the right to talk bad to a Marine about his mother but I shouldn't be not surprised if he punches me in the face.
I have the right to yell fire in a crowded theater but I shouldn't be not surprised if people get hurt.

posted on Apr, 10 2017 @ 06:02 PM
link   

No one expects anyone else not to be offended, only that we expect them not to act on that offence. Committing violence against someone because you don't like what you hear is oppression, and its a property of the most despotic and tyrannical societies.

Double dare you to go to the hood and yell 'n-word' a few times.. youre going to get your ass kicked. Conversely, go to the whiteyhood and yell cracker.. and theyll probably bring you a saltine.

posted on Apr, 10 2017 @ 06:03 PM
link   
a reply to: Advantage

Pseudo-empathy genes definitely exist. Plus it's easy to be empathetic when you don't have to lift a finger from the safety of your home.

posted on Apr, 10 2017 @ 06:04 PM
link   

know but the point is free speech isn't without consequences. In an ideal world nobody gets offended and violent but alas that is not to be.

I have the right to talk bad to a Marine about his mother but I shouldn't be not surprised if he punches me in the face.
I have the right to yell fire in a crowded theater but I shouldn't be not surprised if people get hurt.

Free speech is without consequences. That's exactly what free speech is. Until then there is no free speech.

Of course people retaliate to words. They do not understand what free speech is and why it should be protected.

posted on Apr, 10 2017 @ 06:06 PM
link   

It isn't my duty to offend others. It is my duty to defend those who do. I still believe in manners.

posted on Apr, 10 2017 @ 06:07 PM
link   

I understand what you are saying. But it isn't ideal. I was trying to clarify my post. Apparently some people took it the wrong way (which is why one poster thought I supported Antifa).

posted on Apr, 10 2017 @ 06:09 PM
link   

I understand what you are saying. But it isn't ideal. I was trying to clarify my post. Apparently some people took it the wrong way (which is why one poster thought I supported Antifa).

It did read like you were advocating it.

Yes it is ideal. Speech is speech. Not a single person in the history of the world has been harmed by a word.

posted on Apr, 10 2017 @ 06:10 PM
link   

know but the point is free speech isn't without consequences. In an ideal world nobody gets offended and violent but alas that is not to be.

Free speech is without consequences. That's exactly what free speech is. Until then there is no free speech.

Of course people retaliate to words. They do not understand what free speech is and why it should be protected.

When free speech becomes a hate crime, should that be protected?

link   

Not a single person in the history of the world has been harmed by a word.

Except if you scream it in someone's ear.

link   

It isn't my duty to offend others. It is my duty to defend those who do. I still believe in manners.

As do I.. but like DA was trying to say... its not a perfect world and sometimes youll wind up choking on your own teeth by exercising your freedom of speech.

Besides, if whitey brought me out a saltine Id shank a bitch and say it shouldve been a Ritz.

posted on Apr, 10 2017 @ 06:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: Deaf Alien

I know where you are coming from and I agree with you

new topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join