It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Man Violently Dragged Off Plane After United Airlines Overbooks Flight

page: 15
<< 12  13  14    16  17  18 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 11 2017 @ 10:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t
a reply to: roadgravel

Alright. Let's review at the end of the week and see what happens.

Yes, good plan. it will be interesting to see how this plays out given the talk out there.

posted on Apr, 11 2017 @ 10:13 AM
link   

I just updated my post with a link. Apparently there is a new angle to explore. UA has a burgeoning market in China and China is taking this PR disaster VERY seriously.

posted on Apr, 11 2017 @ 10:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: HawkeyeNation

originally posted by: InTheLight

Am I the only one that could care less about this Dr? I mean seriously, they asked him, he refused. They are under legal obligation to remove anyone they want. Ethically is it right? No but it is what it is. IMO, get over it. Sure I would not have been happy but I would have got a good deal to compensate.

Imagine that you are sitting next to your partner ready for your trip when they randomly choose you to give up your seat, and you have no choice in the matter. That is fine if you can rearrange your schedule and accept compensation, but what if you have an important family wedding or funeral to attend? Circumstances change perspective.

Look I get what you are saying and totally understand. I simply just don't have any sympathy over this. Maybe it's the fact that I'm still thinking about the chemical attacks in Syria that this has just moved this type of news very low in my emotions tree. I'm sure if it were me, yes, I would have felt very violated as well.

You don't have to have sympathy for this specific situation, but understanding what we actually mean to these big corporations (value only as a consumer, no value as people) and to our governments (taxpayers only - not citizens, not people) too, is the point you may want to think about, if nothing else.

posted on Apr, 11 2017 @ 10:17 AM
link   

I just updated my post with a link. Apparently there is a new angle to explore. UA has a burgeoning market in China and China is taking this PR disaster VERY seriously.

Wow, the Chinese are claiming racial discrimination, which I don't think is the case. This man was randomly chosen from what UA claims.

posted on Apr, 11 2017 @ 10:22 AM
link   

Am I the only one that could care less about this Dr? I mean seriously, they asked him, he refused. They are under legal obligation to remove anyone they want. Ethically is it right? No but it is what it is. IMO, get over it. Sure I would not have been happy but I would have got a good deal to compensate.

Imagine that you are sitting next to your partner ready for your trip when they randomly choose you to give up your seat, and you have no choice in the matter. That is fine if you can rearrange your schedule and accept compensation, but what if you have an important family wedding or funeral to attend? Circumstances change perspective.

Look I get what you are saying and totally understand. I simply just don't have any sympathy over this. Maybe it's the fact that I'm still thinking about the chemical attacks in Syria that this has just moved this type of news very low in my emotions tree. I'm sure if it were me, yes, I would have felt very violated as well.

You don't have to have sympathy for this specific situation, but understanding what we actually mean to these big corporations (value only as a consumer, no value as people) and to our governments (taxpayers only - not citizens, not people) too, is the point you may want to think about, if nothing else.

I've known that for years and the only way to change that it by hurting them where it matters most...and that is the green coming into their wallets. I see their stock is falling but I want to see where they are at 6 months from now. That will tell us if people really care about this.

posted on Apr, 11 2017 @ 10:24 AM
link   

Wow, the Chinese are claiming racial discrimination, which I don't think is the case. This man was randomly chosen from what UA claims.

Yeah. That's a stretch.

posted on Apr, 11 2017 @ 10:28 AM
link   

Keep in mind that a corporation is nothing without the people who make up the company. You cannot "harm" a company, you can only harm the people who have an interest in working for the company. Yes, the senior management of the company will probably lose bonuses, will have their salaries reduced substantially and will suffer personal anguish as a result. But don't forget the many more lesser workers that rely on the company to put food on their tables, to be able to send their kids to good schools, to be able to have a holiday they have not had for over 10 years.

Yes, it's all well and good to think of companies and all its employees as greedy savages that only care about profit and don't care about their customers, but the reality, which MOST people don't want to acknowledge is the harm you will cause many people who need their job to survive.

posted on Apr, 11 2017 @ 10:40 AM
link   
I can only imagine that Management professors are talking about this topic today! Question: What is your first responsibility? Answer: To your stock holders.

Question: Is it a good business decision to cost your company 800 million in lost stock value?
Answer: NO... HELL NO!

Question: What should management have had in place for a situation such as this:

Hands fly up in the air as eager future managers raise their hands!!!!

Up the offer to something most would jump at say, $5000.00 or $10,000.00 for an impossible situation. Offer a huge perk of a few extra flights anywhere they fly!

So, United will not recover from this bad publicity easily. The CEO will most likely be fired! The airline is going to be sued as well as the security company. Did they offer the deal to anyone else? Did they say, "What will it take to get someone on this plane to give up their seat? Find out what the lowest offer is. No, FUBAR this all the way.

posted on Apr, 11 2017 @ 10:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: dragonridr

originally posted by: roadgravel
a reply to: Krazysh0t

Talk isn't going to do it. Not flying UA would. I bet not one person changed airlines over this.

No it didn't hurt them I'm the least. Because people that don't fly are all up in arms so to speak. And regular flyers know this is pretty standard stuff he'll I've been bumped from a flight though I didn't mind they paid me 2200 and my flight took off the next morning.. so I got a room breakfast and cash for changing to a 930 am flight.
Dragging him through the aisle was a bit much.....what would a court of law find in this case?

posted on Apr, 11 2017 @ 10:42 AM
link   
a reply to: Dark Ghost

I would look for another job with a company I can be proud of.

posted on Apr, 11 2017 @ 10:44 AM
link   
a reply to: UnifiedSerenity

My hope is that United will review their booking policies and make adjustments so that customers stockholders and employees all are reasonably satisfied and hopefully through a free market solution.

posted on Apr, 11 2017 @ 10:54 AM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

Yes, he's an internal medicine doctor, a Vietnamese American father of 5 with 4 of them also being doctors.

Identity of man drug off United:

"The passenger who was dragged from an United Airlines flight is 69-year-old grandfather Dr David Dao.
Footage of the Vietnamese-American being hauled off the overbooked flight at Chicago's O'Hare International Airport on Sunday caused outrage on Monday.
Dr Dao was heard in videos captured of his shocking eviction saying he needed to get home to Louisville so he could see patients.
DailyMail.com can reveal Dr Dao is a father of five and a grandfather, who specializes in internal medicine. Four of his five children are doctors.
His wife Teresa, 69, is a pediatrican who trained at Ho Chi Minh University in Saigon and also practices in Elizabethtown, Kentucky - about 40 miles south of Louisville.
Their eldest son Tim, 34, practices medicine in Texas; their second son Ben, 31, is a medical graduate; their daughter Christine, 33, is a doctor in Durham, NC; and their youngster daughter Angela, 27, is a medical graduate of the University of Kentucky. "

posted on Apr, 11 2017 @ 10:55 AM
link   

Yeah. That's a stretch.
So you think UA targeted him as Chinese? Is that why you posted this or because you feel that no one should be dragged off an airplane who has paid ? I'm wondering now why he's the only one who resisted and for what purpose?

posted on Apr, 11 2017 @ 10:58 AM
link   
a reply to: ThirdEyeofHorus

No. I was agreeing with IntheLight and that the claim he was being discriminated against is a stretch.

link   

originally posted by: UnifiedSerenity
a reply to: Edumakated

Yes, he's an internal medicine doctor, a Vietnamese American father of 5 with 4 of them also being doctors.

Identity of man drug off United:

"The passenger who was dragged from an United Airlines flight is 69-year-old grandfather Dr David Dao.
Footage of the Vietnamese-American being hauled off the overbooked flight at Chicago's O'Hare International Airport on Sunday caused outrage on Monday.
Dr Dao was heard in videos captured of his shocking eviction saying he needed to get home to Louisville so he could see patients.
DailyMail.com can reveal Dr Dao is a father of five and a grandfather, who specializes in internal medicine. Four of his five children are doctors.
His wife Teresa, 69, is a pediatrican who trained at Ho Chi Minh University in Saigon and also practices in Elizabethtown, Kentucky - about 40 miles south of Louisville.
Their eldest son Tim, 34, practices medicine in Texas; their second son Ben, 31, is a medical graduate; their daughter Christine, 33, is a doctor in Durham, NC; and their youngster daughter Angela, 27, is a medical graduate of the University of Kentucky. "

I thought I read that he was targeted for being Chinese? Was that some kind of faux news or did he lie?

link   
a reply to: UnifiedSerenity

www.dailymail.co.uk...

oh my god...this is what the ceo of the airline had to say....what an idiot,,,,certainly explains why this happened

United CEO Oscar Munoz doubled down on his airline crew's decision to remove an elderly passenger, claiming he was 'disruptive and belligerent'.

so does this mean that the original release where they said that this was horrible and should have been handled differently a big lie?????

he made a public apology for having to reaccomodate the customers...but in a private email he praised the crew for going above and beyond and the passenger was belligerent and disruptive.

edit on 11-4-2017 by research100 because: added sentence, dang spelling

posted on Apr, 11 2017 @ 10:59 AM
link   

The solution is very easy. Offer refunds up to three days before a flight. If you don't make it after that, then you pay for the seat unless someone else does use it. Set up a cash fund instead of this voucher crap. Be willing to pay what is needed if you have to have a seat for whatever reason.

United made some very bad management decisions. Did anyone with UA ask for what someone would take to get off the plane? Give the authority to make on the spot agreements. Also, you can't tell me the airline did not have word these crew were going to come to get on the plane. Just hold their 4 seats. UA dropped the ball, and it's the shareholders and employees that will suffer for it.

edit on 11-4-2017 by UnifiedSerenity because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 11 2017 @ 11:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: Edumakated
The other thing that is annoying is that these airlines purposely overbook flights knowing there will be no shows then they expect the paying customers to be inconvenienced because their statistical model didn't work out.

Or...how about the airlines actually factor in the cost of Flight Staff flying?

I mean technically the flight was not overbooked. everyone had a seat except the Flight Crew...Whose effen problem is that? Not the passengers...they actually paid for their effen tickets. The airline forgot to book seats for their own flight crew? Not the customers problem.

ALSO...The airlines say they "overbook" because some passengers don't show up? Yes...but they still get paid for those tickets...gas and all is covered. WTF entitles them to legally charge for 305 seats on a plane that only has 300 seats?..and then bloody up and drag off paying customers when their impossible math doesn't work out!

Seriously...Eff United Airlines..

OTHER NOTES..

The Video of this guy getting his ass kicked is BIG NEWS in China..
The guy is Asian..
China WAS (before yesterday) United's fastest growing market.

UA's stock is already down today..

This extra few hundred they earned by over-booking the flight is going to cost them Millions at a minimum.

edit on 11-4-2017 by Indigo5 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 11 2017 @ 11:03 AM
link   

The article looks very legitimate to me that gives his credentials. I think someone blew up his reaction. I saw a Tucker interview of a passenger who said, the man was simply not cooperating with security as in moving his arms to keep them from grabbing him, but not trying to fight security. There was nothing about belligerent behavior. I'm sure voices were raised, but he was upset, and I never knew yelling or anything was against the law when your rights are being violated.

Apparently, once you are ON the plane this whole volunteer stuff is up in smoke and the airline is not in the right contractually. They should have held 4 seats for their crew that they damn well knew were going to arrive!

posted on Apr, 11 2017 @ 11:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: Indigo5
UA's stock is already down today..

Yeah it didn't help that UA's CEO came out and basically admitted no wrong hood on UA's part.

top topics

<< 12  13  14    16  17  18 >>

join