It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Who remembers the capital of Australia as Sydney, not Canberra

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 10 2017 @ 05:18 PM
link   
Oh dear.....

What this thread does go to show is the lack of knowledge about Australia.

Canberra is Australia's Washington DC. And is it's own microstate (as in state, not country) within Aussie. It was formed specifically for the purposes of a governmental city.

Sydney is also a capital, but only a state capital. (New South Wales)
In fact, here is the list of state capitals - you have probably heard of some of these cities at least.

Queensland - Brisbane
NSW - Sydney
ACT (And Australia) - Canberra
Victoria - Melbourne
South Australia - Adelaide
Western Australia - Perth
Northern Territory - Darwin
Tasmania - Hobart.
edit on 10-4-2017 by markosity1973 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 10 2017 @ 05:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: freedom7
a reply to: TheConstruKctionofLight

From Canada. See some people will say Canberra has always been the capital of Australia. But a ton of others will say Sydney. It took me a while to finally realize what Mandela effect is all about.
Technically in our own worlds nobody is right or wrong, because the whole idea about it is that in one timeline/ reality Canberra has always been the capital.

But in the other dimension/reality?? It's always been Sydney. I've leaned towards this being a mass psy op in the past. But when old cd's, bible's, other books ( like Berenstein bears), have their pages literally altered... You know that whatever is happening is next level technology.

Well people who remember the different world line have a genetic marker called "over steiner" apparently And remember things the rest of us forgot due to Time and space being over written. memories being able to be sent as information to a alternate self.

posted on Apr, 10 2017 @ 08:39 PM
link   
Most would assumed Sydney because it's the most known city to outsiders.

posted on Apr, 10 2017 @ 08:52 PM
link   
My ignorance of geography is second to none but I knew the capital of Australia is Canberra.

Or, the way I remembered it: it's not Sydney or Brisbane but some place I can never remember the name of. I'll know it if I hear it.

posted on Apr, 11 2017 @ 03:49 AM
link   
a reply to: Aldakoopa

I think an awful lot of the confusion stems from what kinds of media one consumes, and where that media was manufactured, and also the way that media is absorbed.

For example:

Computer games are great, because they have a level of interaction which is way above that of films or television shows. Learning the controls, learning to interpret and adapt to a new environment, a new paradigm if you will, is healthy exercise for the mind in most circumstances. However, there are very few computer games with references to history, certainly of the AAA or equivalent rating, which can be relied upon for absolute accuracy when it comes to matters of state which might affect the plot. In computer games, the plot and the gameplay elements are usually more important than getting everything one hundred percent right.

That being said, games like the Assassins Creed franchise, are REALLY good at recreating famous landmarks of antiquity, so there are limited exceptions. I say limited exceptions because in terms of historical accuracy, the games fall down in accuracy, where ever it is necessary to put the plot of the story at the front and center. Certain characters who have a basis in history may be somewhat different to their historical counterpart in either attitude or behaviour. Most notable and obvious is the assassins themselves. While the vision of the game developer required an intriguing, mysterious and broad network of global assassination for their overarching plot to operate and be engaging to the gamer, the actual Assassins Brotherhood, or Nizari Ismailis as they were widely known in history, were Shiites, much less interesting in killing Templars, than they were taking out leaders of the Sunni sect of Islam. They were also a very small, tight knit group, not a broad, international network. Their area of operation was, by comparison to the game, utterly limited. Put another way, imagine if Grove Street was the only playable areas in GTA V! Not very engaging for the player, I would imagine!

What I find is often very helpful, when trying to engage with information about another country, is film, both fictional and entertaining, and documentary film as well. You often learn more about a location or culture, by watching media produced in that location, or by that culture. For example, I watch Japanese films pretty often. The Shogunate as a concept interests me, the structure of pre-industrial Japan in terms of its governance interests me, as do the tropes popular with near enough everyone, the Samurai and the Ninja cultures, the way blades were made, the way war was dealt with, and so on. Furthermore, I watch films, both documentary and fictional, and prefer subtitles to English dubbing. Although this creates grammatical collisions which make absorbing the data a little clunky sometimes, I often find that the dub creates an inaccuracy or divergence which the subtitles do not.

So, while it is unwise to trust any one particular piece of media for accuracy, it is wise to accumulate a good spread of media to draw data from, and to choose well, which pieces you rely on most for accuracy in terms of incidental information provided.

posted on Apr, 11 2017 @ 03:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheConstruKctionofLight
a reply to: freedom7

I didn't notice this one about the capital of Australia until just recently though.

May I ask if you're from the United States? It seems that issues outside the USA don't register on many American's radar.

Yeah, plus we are expected to memorize 50 states and their capitals, first and foremost, and other geographical information has to be added on to that.

Usually when you hear people commenting about how "Americans don't know geography", well, it's true that the type of Americans who are most often thrust into the spotlight in order to point out America's failures, have got their head in the clouds.

But usually when you hear people say that, they come from somewhere like Australia, or Britain... Or somewhere else with nowhere near 50 states plus capitals to memorize.

Let's see what it would be like being a kid growing up in Aussie, compared to usa:

Australia has 6 states each with a capital. That's 12 pieces of data to memorize, compared with 100 pieces of data for an american kid to memorize, before they can even think of memorizing things outside the US.

So, 12 data pts and Aussie is covered. Ok, moving on. All you need to know about the US is the capital is Washington DC, and i dunno, maybe a few of the most important states, like California, NY, Texas, Alaska, Hawaii, that's 7 more data points for atotal of 19.

So That's 19 and Aussie and USA are covered, lets say 4 more data points for Canada, its capital, British Columbia and uh, Quebec. So that's 23.

The UK is made up of 4 nations and their capitals makes a total of 8 things to rember.

23 +8 and that's 31.

31 data points and you've got everything you need to know about the important place names of your home country, Austrailia, and it's 3 most important allies, USA, Canada and UK.

Now you still have 69 data points free to use up exploring the world. That's memorizing the names of 69 countries, or 35 countries and 34 of the 35 capitals.

Do all that and you've caught up with everything an american is expected to know by, well, for me it was somewhere around 6th grade maybe 7th (out of 13 total grades: kindergarten at age 5, then on to 1st through 12th grades) grade.

posted on Apr, 11 2017 @ 04:59 AM
link   
a reply to: 3n19m470

On top of all that there's rivers to remember. Who the heck wants to know about more than a handful of those?

Geography's hard.
And boring.

posted on Apr, 11 2017 @ 05:15 AM
link   
a reply to: Agartha

hahaha so obviously Canada is not your country...In our world Ottawa is the capital of Canada

posted on Apr, 11 2017 @ 05:18 AM
link   
a reply to: Thecakeisalie

Sydney no...

wiki

Melbourne was the initial capital following the 1901 [Federation of Australia]. In 1927, the seat of national government was moved to the newly created city of Canberra,

posted on Apr, 11 2017 @ 05:22 AM
link   
a reply to: DMAC32

Why would you build the most famous opera house ever in a random city??

Thats as silly an excuse as saying why weren't the twin towers built in Washington DC instead of New York?

posted on Apr, 11 2017 @ 05:26 AM
link   
a reply to: Mikehawk

my mind is open - but there are certain thing's we take for granted

No one knows for sure what the heck our life is

I rightly questioned "do you you not get behind the steering wheel?"

posted on Apr, 11 2017 @ 05:28 AM
link   
a reply to: paraphi

Sydney is certainly the cultural heart of Australia

Whilst I'm from Perth, Melbournian's would argue that they are the "cultural capital" of Australia

posted on Apr, 11 2017 @ 05:30 AM
link   
a reply to: markosity1973

(as in state, not country)

Thanks for educating people...just to correct you the ACT like NT are not states but Territories - run by administrators.

posted on Apr, 11 2017 @ 05:37 AM
link   
a reply to: 3n19m470

I can understand what you're saying about how many things you have to remember; back in high school chemistry we were expected to remember the major groups of the Periodic Table like the Noble Gases, Halogens

posted on Apr, 11 2017 @ 06:06 AM
link   

This isn't Mandela effect, this is the failure of your schooling and/or your stupidity.

posted on Apr, 11 2017 @ 06:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheConstruKctionofLight
a reply to: Agartha

hahaha so obviously Canada is not your country...In our world Ottawa is the capital of Canada

hahaha I was being sarcastic, of course, but in my youth I was sure Toronto was the capital as I've never even heard of Ottawa. LOL

posted on Apr, 12 2017 @ 12:34 AM
link   
The capital of Australia has never been Sydney.
It was Melbourne, and then it was moved to Canberra, a city built with the intent of actually being the capital.

This is ridiculous.

Any crap that people on a drug binge think of gets posted and allowed.
ATS just keeps going from one low to the next.

posted on Apr, 12 2017 @ 01:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: mortex

This is ridiculous.

Any crap that people on a drug binge think of gets posted and allowed.
ATS just keeps going from one low to the next.

I, for one, don't need to be on a drug binge to participate in something as low as all this.

I pride myself on being able to make shallow and silly contributions when I'm perfectly straight and sober.

Anyone who needs drugs to do that is cheating.

Just bear in mind this is all Australia's fault, if they didn't keep shifting their capital around people wouldn't have got confused.

posted on Apr, 12 2017 @ 02:19 AM
link   
I always thought Rockin All Over The World was a Status Quo song.

Then one day I discovered it was actually written (and first recorded by) John Fogerty - an American!

And that, my friends, is "The Mandela Effect"

posted on Apr, 12 2017 @ 06:26 AM
link   

As an Australian, for the 39 years I have been alive Canberra has been the capital. It was chosen not to offend the Victorians (residents of Victoria) and New South Welshman (residents of new South Wales). True story. The location for Canberra was chosen in 1908. The name is aboriginal for Meeting Place.

There is no Mandela effect here, just a lack of education regarding geography outside the US. Not that I can talk as I couldn't name all the capitals of your 50 states

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join