It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A320neo PW1100G suffering major problems

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 9 2017 @ 06:52 PM
link   
In addition to Qatar stopping delivery of the A320neo early this year, all operators of the PW1100G, geared turbofan equipped version have reported major engine issues. Two of those, Spirit Airways in the United States, and Indigo in India have banned the aircraft from flying above 30,000 feet. The latest problem appears to be extreme cold temperatures causing the bleed system to freeze shut. This weekend, Spirit had four of their A320neo fleet grounded for unplanned engine changes, after getting Engine Oil Chip Detected warnings. Three of their aircraft are currently parked at Dallas/Fort Worth airport, with two of them appearing to have windows and engines covered.

Spirit has started to charter out flights to Miami Air, to keep their full schedule flying. They originally planned to fly one day with Miami Air, but it has been extended to at least two days, and possibly more as issues continue.

The DGCA has investigated engine problems on Indigo and Go Airlines and found three major problems. In coastal areas, they have seen a 25% degradation in the combustion chamber, resulting in 13 premature removals of engines. They have found 28 premature removals due to the #3 bearing, and one removal due to the main gearbox failure. Multiple carriers are requiring borescope inspections of the engines, every few weeks or sooner. There have been several engine fires reported in flight by Indian operators as well.

airwaysmag.com...
www.bangaloreaviation.com...

posted on Apr, 9 2017 @ 07:25 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58
edit on 9-4-2017 by M5xaz because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 9 2017 @ 07:37 PM
link   

Jesus!
What a cluster f**k of problems. Combustion chamber degradation, main bearing failures, gearbox failures, and this bleed issue. BTW any news on what this bleed issue is? I dont recall hearing of a bleed system "freezing shut" before, kind of counter intuitive given the take off temps of even LP/IP bleed air (which I'm assuming it is given where in altitude it is happening). And all this on an engine that is very new into service. P&W once again have some work and explaining to do.

posted on Apr, 9 2017 @ 07:53 PM
link   
a reply to: thebozeian

This is the first I'm hearing about it. But it does sound counterintuitive. It'll be interesting to see if they say anything more about it.

posted on Apr, 9 2017 @ 08:39 PM
link   

I have a feeling it could be due to thermal expansion causing the bleed air valve to stick shut, maybe they got the calculations wrong when designing it.

The aircraft I work on had to have all the generators changed not long after we got them due to them breaking down internally because of a design flaw.

posted on Apr, 9 2017 @ 08:40 PM
link   
a reply to: Jinn82

That could very well be it. And that makes a lot more sense than it freezing closed.

posted on Apr, 9 2017 @ 09:23 PM
link   

Crap. My mom is flying to San Juan PR may 5th. Via Spirit from FLL.

Why did these engines from P&W come out so crappy?

posted on Apr, 9 2017 @ 09:28 PM
link   
a reply to: grey580

The geared turbofan is a new design that removes some of the time sensitive parts of a regular turbofan. But it's basically brand new technology, and it was kind of rushed to get it into service.

posted on Apr, 9 2017 @ 09:31 PM
link   

Ahhh gotcha.

Time to re engineer a few things.

posted on Apr, 9 2017 @ 09:38 PM
link   
a reply to: grey580

It was first proposed 30 years ago, but the technology didn't catch up until recently. The advantage is that the fan, and the turbine are able to spin at their optimum speed. It both makes it more efficient and much quieter. But, they had to design the gearbox so that it could withstand a shock if the fan went one way, and the shaft another. That's been one of the biggest challenges in designing it.

posted on Apr, 10 2017 @ 12:23 AM
link   
It seems to me that when the base was here around twenty five years ago they didn't have many problems with their planes. I knew a couple of pilots and a mechanics out there and they rarely had problems with jets that routine maintenance issues didn't take care of. What happened?

posted on Apr, 10 2017 @ 08:52 AM
link   
Yeah, P&W took the opportunity of introducing the gear and redesigned a lot of other components at the same time. It's really a completely new engine, so there are many untested components.

I flew on it in Germany. It's really smooth and quiet, when it runs.

posted on Apr, 10 2017 @ 10:02 AM
link   
a reply to: cosmania

It's the RB211 all over again. In the short term, it'll damn near bankrupt the company if they aren't careful. In the long term, once they work out all of the kinks, the GTF will make P&W an A-list player in the airliner engine business for decades to come.

In the meantime, it's time to buy Boeing stocks...

The RB211 may have succeeded in the end, paving the way for the Trent's still in service now, but look at what it did to the L-1011 in the process.
edit on 10-4-2017 by Barnalby because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 10 2017 @ 07:41 PM
link   
a reply to: Barnalby

More like JT-9 I would say. Seems to be a recurrent theme at P&W every generation or so. Push the technology envelope but fail to sufficiently de-risk the program before production.

posted on Apr, 12 2017 @ 10:19 AM
link   
Three Spirit aircraft are parked because of a known issue with the carbon air-seal assembly around the #3 turbine. Pratt expects to field a fix this month. It's one of three issues that were found after service entry.

www.flightglobal.com...

posted on Apr, 12 2017 @ 10:42 AM
link   

The best thing about P&W is that thanks to their military work, they're no stranger to exotic bleeding-edge technologies.

The worst thing about P&W is that thanks to their military work, they're extremely comfortable fielding exotic, bleeding-edge technologies.

Me, I just hope that they work out the kinks sooner rather than later. I've been a sucker for the roar of a ducted fan ever since I watched a Nova episode about the development of the Skyship 500 as a kid.

An original, Porsche-engined Skyship is still my "if I ever win the Powerball" aircraft.
edit on 12-4-2017 by Barnalby because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 12 2017 @ 11:17 AM
link   
Bleed air problems can lead to increased engine operating temperatures. This can cause the majority of problems that have been listed here.

posted on Apr, 12 2017 @ 02:30 PM
link   

If it's a pneumatic valve it could be freezing # because the ambient temperature is to low and it's not well insulated. Moisture in the lines freeze and cause a "shut" pipe.

posted on Apr, 12 2017 @ 08:22 PM
link   
a reply to: Barnalby

And I would agree with you on P&W. However GE are also no strangers to the bleeding edge and yet seem to have better program management. That's why it annoyed me no end that the F-136 was canned for the F-35 when it showed more promise and was actually the mandated second engine choice that somehow got railroaded. Just think how much less upset the JSF program would have been when they started having all those engine flex issues on the F-135 a la the "great engine battle" on the F-15/F16 fleet of the 1980's. Nothing incentivizes like competition.

I still remember the drone of those Porsche engine Skyships locally here to in the 1980's.

posted on Apr, 12 2017 @ 08:26 PM
link   
a reply to: JIMC5499

Yes that is true. A leaky engine or one that cant easily supply demand bleed has to burn more fuel and work hotter. A good demonstration is watching what happens to an APU's EGT and fuel flow when you open the bleed switch and select the AC packs to on and full/high flow. You get an appreciable temp spike.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join