It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Tuareg People and Tinariwen's Nomadic Desert Rock.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 9 2017 @ 11:17 AM
link   
Meet the Tuareg. A nomadic, veiled Berberian people whose territory extends vast swaths of desert region in Northern Africa.

Known as the "Blue People" for the distinctinve indigo color many wear (and the subsequent band of dye that sometimes stains the faces of veiled men), the Tuaregs practice a form of Islam but retain many matriarchal aspects of their culture pre-Islam.
Little was recorded or seen of them by the outside world until French colonialists invaded their territory, sparking uprisings and massacres on both sides, and ultimately resulting in the division of Tuareg territory into several sovereign countries. The Tuaregs have had several clashes with their new respective governments, most notably in Mali.
Read more about this fascinating people here:
en.wikipedia.org...

Did I mention that the Tuareg ROCK?
Last night, I was lucky enough to listen to some desert rock live in a small, intimate venue.
Here is Tinariwen:

Read more about Tinariwen's fascinating history here. Really, read it.. the founding member's (Ibrahim Ag AlHabib) father was executed for his role in rebelling against the Malian government. He was a witness (age 4). Read more here:
en.wikipedia.org...

Now for the fun part.. the music! This is a great video for many reasons.. please take a listen and see how music brings the whole world together.
Check out Flea and Klinghoffer (Red Hot Chili Peppers) playing desert rock. Check out that cute old guy who is basically just a dancer.
It's so wonderful.

edit on 9-4-2017 by zosimov because: (no reason given)

edit on 9-4-2017 by zosimov because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 9 2017 @ 11:32 AM
link   
reply to: zosimov

Just shows music has no boundaries or limits, the universal language that doesn't discriminate and is understood by everyone and everything!

Another one -

Hi zosi

posted on Apr, 9 2017 @ 11:36 AM
link   
a reply to: knowledgehunter0986

That message is more powerful and true than we'd like to acknowledge.. we make it sould so cliche but it's true and wonderful.

Hi friend! Happy Sunday

posted on Apr, 9 2017 @ 12:18 PM
link   
Always welcome to be introduced to "new to me" great music.
Thanks!!

posted on Apr, 9 2017 @ 01:35 PM
link   
Thank You, zosimov, for making my Sunday happier! And Happy Sunday to you!

About 20 years ago, I heard Mustt Mustt by the great Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan and bought a cd to play over and over. I enjoyed the Tinariwen & Kiran Ahluwlia version, too.

Music that stirs the soul seems to want to be shared. The original cd had collaboration from various artists and instruments:

'Music is an international language,' said Nusrat, pointing out that words are unnecessary to appreciate his music.

Producer Michael Brook emphasised that they had no real communication difficulties. 'You have language problems, but in fact you need a very simple vocabulary to talk about music if you're playing it.' He was surprised by 'the mutual enthusiasm of Nusrat and all the musicians. Everyone was excited there really was a collaboration and that's all we could have hoped for...'

Instruments from different continents were used, like the big Brazilian drum - the surdu, and the Senegalese djembe, alongside Indian tabla and harmonium, plus bass, keyboards and Michael's invention, the 'infinite guitar'. The project also mixed musicians from different cultures. Michael from Canada, Nusrat, Farrukh and Dildar from Pakistan, Robert Ahwai culturally West Indian, Darryl Johnson from New Orleans, James Pinker from New Zealand. As Michael pointed out, 'Although is wasn't painless - it worked.'

realworldrecords

Here is a translation of Mustt Mustt (internet search, pretty generic).... one thing I have found in writings (music or poetry or even Bible) from this area is that the love for "God" is expressed as beloved, lover, intoxicating, etc. Not afraid to be expressed sensually, unlike too many modern Westerners who turn away from such connection to the Divine, or others who would pervert this connection into belligerent themes.

"English Translation: To understand this Qawwali, you need to know a little about the History of the Sufi Saints. Jhoole Lal – A saint from Sindh who as a child was always found on a swing reciting the name of God. Shahbaaz Qalander (Red Falcon) another Sufi Fakir renowned for amazing poetry in love for God.

"Mast Mast –

Dam Mast Qalander Mast Mast – Upon My breath and in my intoxication is the great Qalander.
Dam Mast Qalander Mast Mast

Mera vird hai dam dam Ali Ali – My worship and upon my breath is the name of Ali.
Saqi Laal Qalander Mast Mast – I am intoxicated with the beloved Qalander
Jhoole Laal Qalander Mast Mast – I am intoxicated with Jhoole Laal who is intoxicated with Qalander
Aakhi Ja Malanga Akhi Ja Malanga – Keep repeating his name you follower of Ali
Tu Ali Ali Ali Akhi Ja Malanga – You Ali !!! Keep saying his name.

These lyrics mirror exactly the name of the Qawwal – to be in intoxication “Mast”."

posted on Apr, 9 2017 @ 02:08 PM
link   
a reply to: Caver78

I'm so glad you liked it caver, and thank you!

posted on Apr, 9 2017 @ 02:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: desert
Thank You, zosimov, for making my Sunday happier! And Happy Sunday to you!

About 20 years ago, I heard Mustt Mustt by the great Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan and bought a cd to play over and over. I enjoyed the Tinariwen & Kiran Ahluwlia version, too.

Music that stirs the soul seems to want to be shared. The original cd had collaboration from various artists and instruments:

'Music is an international language,' said Nusrat, pointing out that words are unnecessary to appreciate his music.

Producer Michael Brook emphasised that they had no real communication difficulties. 'You have language problems, but in fact you need a very simple vocabulary to talk about music if you're playing it.' He was surprised by 'the mutual enthusiasm of Nusrat and all the musicians. Everyone was excited there really was a collaboration and that's all we could have hoped for...'

Instruments from different continents were used, like the big Brazilian drum - the surdu, and the Senegalese djembe, alongside Indian tabla and harmonium, plus bass, keyboards and Michael's invention, the 'infinite guitar'. The project also mixed musicians from different cultures. Michael from Canada, Nusrat, Farrukh and Dildar from Pakistan, Robert Ahwai culturally West Indian, Darryl Johnson from New Orleans, James Pinker from New Zealand. As Michael pointed out, 'Although is wasn't painless - it worked.'

realworldrecords

Here is a translation of Mustt Mustt (internet search, pretty generic).... one thing I have found in writings (music or poetry or even Bible) from this area is that the love for "God" is expressed as beloved, lover, intoxicating, etc. Not afraid to be expressed sensually, unlike too many modern Westerners who turn away from such connection to the Divine, or others who would pervert this connection into belligerent themes.

"English Translation: To understand this Qawwali, you need to know a little about the History of the Sufi Saints. Jhoole Lal – A saint from Sindh who as a child was always found on a swing reciting the name of God. Shahbaaz Qalander (Red Falcon) another Sufi Fakir renowned for amazing poetry in love for God.

"Mast Mast –

Dam Mast Qalander Mast Mast – Upon My breath and in my intoxication is the great Qalander.
Dam Mast Qalander Mast Mast

Mera vird hai dam dam Ali Ali – My worship and upon my breath is the name of Ali.
Saqi Laal Qalander Mast Mast – I am intoxicated with the beloved Qalander
Jhoole Laal Qalander Mast Mast – I am intoxicated with Jhoole Laal who is intoxicated with Qalander
Aakhi Ja Malanga Akhi Ja Malanga – Keep repeating his name you follower of Ali
Tu Ali Ali Ali Akhi Ja Malanga – You Ali !!! Keep saying his name.

These lyrics mirror exactly the name of the Qawwal – to be in intoxication “Mast”."

Hey desert, I loved this post! Thank you for the deep and lovely concept of musst.
I swear that intoxicating love was filling the venue (where I saw Tinariwen) last night.. that same love which is expressed through sound and vibration, which resonates with our core.

Between songs one of the lead singers (not Ibrahim) would say "Thank you so much.. are you happy?"
Why yes, yes I am.

posted on Apr, 9 2017 @ 02:34 PM
link   
Desert Rock!

posted on Apr, 9 2017 @ 04:24 PM
link   
a reply to: zosimov

Tinariwen is addictive - once I start I cant stop. My favorite - including the video:

Then this - gorgeous art too

posted on Apr, 9 2017 @ 04:36 PM
link   
a reply to: desert

Between you and Zosimov this thread so made my day :-)

My favorite -

edit on 4/9/2017 by Spiramirabilis because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 9 2017 @ 04:38 PM
link   
a reply to: Spiramirabilis

Thank you! Those were wonderful.

posted on Apr, 9 2017 @ 04:39 PM
link   

Nice thread too :-)

Changed my whole afternoon

posted on Apr, 9 2017 @ 05:54 PM
link   
a reply to: Spiramirabilis

I am so happy to hear that!

posted on Mar, 9 2018 @ 11:13 AM
link   

posted on Mar, 11 2018 @ 10:29 AM
link   

We cross sands, we cross time, we journey through music, art, culture, to meet others and ourselves. A blessed moment to enjoy! Where time is both moment and eternity. Thank you so very much for sharing, zosimov! .... and now, back to rocking out on the desert

new topics

top topics

join