It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The War on Drugs :: Redux

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 9 2017 @ 08:24 AM
link   
Remember when that guy said 'don't forget to set your clocks back 300yrs' after Trump was elected? Well, here's another sign that he wasn't far off. When Jeff Sessions was picked as US Attorney General, any hope of continuing the trend toward sane drug policies largely went out the window. If on his own Sessions wasn't enough, he's teamed-up with Steven Cook, probably one of THE most anti-drug hardliner there is. He's a major proponent of Nancy Reagan's 'just say no' strategy and feels that filling the prison system is a good thing. Despite all the evidence over decades that leading the world in the incarceration rate (the U.S. accounts for 25% of the world's prison population) and spending $80B (billion) a year to do so is an abject failure, Sessions and his buddy Cook are preparing to double-down.

As Canada is about to legalize cannabis nationally and other countries have benefited demonstrably from a more sane and humane view on drugs in general and cannabis in particular, Sessions/Cook plan to return to the drug war heyday of the '80s. Apparently all the evidence that has come in showing how cannabis legalization has not only NOT brought on chaos and anarchy but actually provided a range of benefits from lower rates of prescriptions being written for abuse-able drugs, lower highway death rates, reduced opioid use, and a huge boost in tax revenues isn't enough for these geniuses.

So thank you Trump voters/supporters. Thank you for putting someone in the Presidency that puts two people in-charge of the nation's justice system whose views are directly opposite those of the American people who elected him. Just one more way Trump is 'looking out for The People.

source article

posted on Apr, 9 2017 @ 08:28 AM
link   
a reply to: jtma508

If on his own Sessions wasn't enough, he's teamed-up with Steven Cook, probably one of THE most anti-drug hardliner there is. He's a major proponent of Nancy Reagan's 'just say no' strategy and feels that filling the prison system is a good thing.

Thanks for that tidbit. The war on Americans is blossoming again, prisons for profit need more product.

posted on Apr, 9 2017 @ 08:49 AM
link   
Everything Trump does seems to be a step backwards.

posted on Apr, 9 2017 @ 09:21 AM
link   

Any views on why our last president ,who was an admitted user, made no real attempt to ease marijuana laws?
Bad timing maybe?
To much pocket lining from drug companies?

I'm for legalizing all drugs by the way, not just weed.
So tired of seeing so many police budgets wasted on stopping people from getting wasted.

posted on Apr, 9 2017 @ 09:30 AM
link   
When I found out about Sessions view on weed my heart sank I must admit.
I thought "finally we are going to end the war on drugs madness"
No such luck.
The Trump record keeps getting worse instead of better.
I actually thought we had an outsider get elected but even that was probably just a show to fool people like me.

Maybe Dubya knows the answer to this:
fool me three times shame on _______________.?
edit on 9-4-2017 by Asktheanimals because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 9 2017 @ 09:53 AM
link   
I was disappointing in Session's view and I'm not even a user. But, we have a lot bigger problems than arguing over legalizing pot. Let's get people working and prosperous.

posted on Apr, 9 2017 @ 10:05 AM
link   
a reply to: LogicalGraphitti
I understand that view. But when you have a candidate convince people that he's 'for them' and then starts appointing people whose views are diametrically opposed to the 'will of The People' then you're left with three possibilities:

1. He's a liar

2. He's an idiot and doesn't even bother to look into people he appoints and is just another swamp creature

3. He's bought-and-paid-for despite representing himself as a 'drain the swamp' guy

And if he's so hell-bent on ignoring The People's will then how can you possibly believe he'll do anything for our --- as opposed to the Elite's --- benefit??

posted on Apr, 9 2017 @ 10:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: jtma508
spending $80B (billion) a year to do so is an abject failure

Depends if you're the one contributing to the bill ie tax payers

Or

You have vested interests within the prison sector in which case $80billion a year is most likely considered a success

I wouldn't be surprised if Sessions and Cook have ties to the prison industry or at the very least some underhanded "benefits/donations" for their stance

posted on Apr, 9 2017 @ 10:27 AM
link   

I understand that view. But when you have a candidate convince people that he's 'for them'...

There a lot of "them". Even if all are conservative, they all may want things a bit differently. You can't expect anyone to make every one happy. I have my share of disappointments too but Trump is still better than the alternative.

posted on Apr, 9 2017 @ 10:49 AM
link   
You can't assign success based upon what you believe the 'alternative' to be. Would it really matter to you if it was the Crypts or Bloods that raped your child?

posted on Apr, 9 2017 @ 11:05 AM
link   

You can't assign success based upon what you believe the 'alternative' to be. Would it really matter to you if it was the Crypts or Bloods that raped your child?

That's how a cult works, though.

Regardless of how bad it actually may be, the possibility of a theoretical alternative takes precedence over what's actually happening and what's relevant.

Better get used to it. R's control the government and can't blame D's for roadblocking them.

So, it's on to the next set of excuses. Case in point, "he's better than the alternative."

Which in itself is comedic gold, considering Trump's action towards Syria is EXACTLY what Clinton, herself, wanted.

And John McCain.

But let's keep up with the "Trump is an outsider, anti-establishment," myth.

posted on Apr, 9 2017 @ 01:29 PM
link   
This "War on Drugs" has been an abysmal failure since Nixon started it. Since the dawn of time, people (and also animals) like to alter their mental state in a pleasant way, and prohibition NEVER works.

Personally, I'm tired of families crying for the government to make laws even more draconian due to a family member who overdosed. Guess what? NOBODY made your loved one overdose. It is a choice. Many people who are self-medicating are doing so due to earlier trauma or mental illness they are trying to hide. Sometimes people just like to get loaded. Own it, if you're doing it. Families, own your potential dysfunction.

Prohibition via the Volstead act (1919 - 1933) was a complete joke that gave rise to powerful mobs and a thriving black market. In the end, people were still drinking, and crime became rampant.

The idiocy of this makes me believe that the government has an alternative motive in their attempt to legislate morality. It certainly cannot be due to politicians actually *caring* about us.

posted on Apr, 9 2017 @ 02:27 PM
link   

Remember when that guy said 'don't forget to set your clocks back 300yrs' after Trump was elected? Well, here's another sign that he wasn't far off. When Jeff Sessions was picked as US Attorney General, any hope of continuing the trend toward sane drug policies largely went out the window. If on his own Sessions wasn't enough, he's teamed-up with Steven Cook, probably one of THE most anti-drug hardliner there is. He's a major proponent of Nancy Reagan's 'just say no' strategy and feels that filling the prison system is a good thing. Despite all the evidence over decades that leading the world in the incarceration rate (the U.S. accounts for 25% of the world's prison population) and spending $80B (billion) a year to do so is an abject failure, Sessions and his buddy Cook are preparing to double-down.

As Canada is about to legalize cannabis nationally and other countries have benefited demonstrably from a more sane and humane view on drugs in general and cannabis in particular, Sessions/Cook plan to return to the drug war heyday of the '80s. Apparently all the evidence that has come in showing how cannabis legalization has not only NOT brought on chaos and anarchy but actually provided a range of benefits from lower rates of prescriptions being written for abuse-able drugs, lower highway death rates, reduced opioid use, and a huge boost in tax revenues isn't enough for these geniuses.

So thank you Trump voters/supporters. Thank you for putting someone in the Presidency that puts two people in-charge of the nation's justice system whose views are directly opposite those of the American people who elected him. Just one more way Trump is 'looking out for The People.

source article

Hey buddy, have you looked at Hillary's opinion on the situation? You realize it wouldn't have been any better. It's going to take an entire new generation of people actually running the country before this is fixed. Maybe in another 20-30 years when kids born in the 80's are in the position we will see something different across the board.

posted on Apr, 9 2017 @ 03:27 PM
link   

You mention '300 years' and the combined age of the four people you cite wouldn't be far off. Yeah, Nancy's gone, yet the point remains that policies are driven by people close to retirement age with no science backgrounds. They're out of touch with the shift in public perceptions and too stuck in their ways to know it.

Maybe it's time for policy-makers who are more in touch with the statistical evidence?

The UK government created a role for an informed advisor on drugs policy. Dr David Nutt is the name and he's qualified to have an informed opinion. Dammit if he didn't advocate decriminalisation (based on the evidence) and got himself fired. He was replaced by people like Cook and that was that.

It's not that the world isn't ready, or the UK/USA aren't ready; it's more about the opinions of politicians who live in bubbles and don't have the balls to be different. Change will come when these ill-informed knee-jerkers retire or die off.

posted on Apr, 9 2017 @ 03:42 PM
link   
a reply to: Kandinsky

Don't forget those wonderful lobbysts.

And that nutty fact that the real way that Americans can fix things, is not to vote for the president as we see, we directly don't do.

Instead vote for all your local house of state's representatives, your county and states senates and boards of just about whatever you can find.

We need to nip these idiots chances of destroying our land before they even get to DC.

We do have the power, but it's much more local than you'd think it was. It's in fact, a battle in your own backyard.

posted on Apr, 9 2017 @ 04:01 PM
link   
a reply to: Tranceopticalinclined

Yep.

In many ways it's a social class issue. The guys making the rules are in their own class and want to impose their own minority values on the rest of the country.

Lobbyists are always chiselling away at democracy

posted on Apr, 9 2017 @ 06:08 PM
link   
the department of justice doesn`t write the laws congress does, if you have a problem with a particular law take it up with congress.
I`m just glad that we finally have a DOJ that will enforce the laws that congress has passed.It`s not the DOJ job to decide which laws are "right" and which laws are "wrong" it`s their job to enforce all the laws that congress has passed.

posted on Apr, 12 2017 @ 09:39 AM
link   
a reply to: Tardacus

Funny how selective in enforcing laws that DOJ is. It won't enforce a number of Constitutional provisions, and it won't enforce any statutes that criminalize torture. It won't enforce any statutes that ban military aggression, and any other politically correct, or incorrect, issues.

posted on Apr, 12 2017 @ 10:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: LogicalGraphitti
I was disappointing in Session's view and I'm not even a user. But, we have a lot bigger problems than arguing over legalizing pot. Let's get people working and prosperous.

The 2 are interrelated.....

posted on Apr, 12 2017 @ 11:57 AM
link   

Well you have to understand that deescalating the War on Drugs is largely a Democrat/liberal ideal. Sure it has some bipartisan support, but most of its support is on the liberal side. So Trump and his crew are doing what they always do. Pretending like the Democrats don't exist and adhering straight to their base.

<<   2 >>

join