It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The hidden history of Mary and Joseph

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 9 2017 @ 07:11 PM
link   
according to the bible people did live for hundreds of years back in those days.

posted on Apr, 10 2017 @ 12:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: Raggedyman
a reply to: glend

We weren't talking US history, better reload that one cowboy

Do you just TRY to be arrogant and obnoxious? Jeez.

posted on Apr, 10 2017 @ 02:08 AM
link   
a reply to: hounddoghowlie

the long life span of people in the bible started to drop after the flood. go read it, it's in there.

here i'll help

Genesis 6:3 New American Standard Bible (NASB)
3 Then the Lord said, “My Spirit shall not strive with man forever, because he also is flesh; nevertheless his days shall be one hundred and twenty years.”

and life spans began to drop steadily after that.

and if you knew the bible, you would know that both Abraham and Sarah had doubts about it having a child.

Yet Abraham was making babies at the age of 100. He died at the grand age of 175.

Isaac died at 180

ishmael died at 140.

posted on Apr, 10 2017 @ 04:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: Matrixsurvivor

I don't have to try, people on here just ask for it

Why don't you tell me how US history is relevant to the thread, please

posted on Apr, 10 2017 @ 06:02 AM
link   
a reply to: Raggedyman

during the 1800's the age of consent in most states in the US was around 10-12.

In delaware it was 7.

in other words, a man back then could have married someone as old as 7 and it would have been completely legal.

posted on Apr, 10 2017 @ 07:43 AM
link   
a reply to: firefromabove

what's your point? did i not say that after the flood people's life span started dropping?

if he lived to be 175/180 and Sarah,127/130,. having children in their 90's and at 100, that is just past what half his life span and just about two thirds of hers, that is not unheard of even today. my brother had his second child when he was 46, and his wife was 44, half of their expected life span today.

also if you think about what the bible says, Sarah was barren, so Isaac's birth could be seen sort of like a emasculate conception, or a miracle.
edit on 10-4-2017 by hounddoghowlie because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 10 2017 @ 09:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: firefromabove

during the 1800's the age of consent in most states in the US was around 10-12.

In delaware it was 7.

in other words, a man back then could have married someone as old as 7 and it would have been completely legal.

And how is that relevant to this thread

posted on Apr, 10 2017 @ 11:17 AM
link   
I always understood that Joseph was a relatively high-ranking member of the Jewish counsel, and was given a territory in Egypt to represent. If you go along with the Christmas story, it's pretty clear he wasn't poor, particularly with all the gold, frankincense, and myrrh. Mary had some distant relationship to Kings David and Solomon.

This also explains why they had to travel so far to go to return to Bethlehem for the census, and why when they visited the Temple in Jerusalem when Jesus was 13 (and they mistakenly left him there like in Home Alone) they had a large party and were traveling a long distance. It also partially explains why Jesus was relatively aware of numerous other religious practices, like Buddhism, although most of his teachings were those he "borrowed" from John the Baptist.
edit on 10-4-2017 by Blue Shift because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 10 2017 @ 11:29 AM
link   

The most extreme guesses to Joseph's age are in the mid 40's. Not the 90's. Also you are citing a source written in the 4th century about someone who lived in the first century. That's like someone living today writing a biography on Ben Franklin without looking at sources first.

posted on Apr, 10 2017 @ 11:31 AM
link   
It was a Christian tradition to marry at 12 years old! Don't believe me, just look at Mary!

Lol, Christian tradition.... BEFORE Christ was even born.

You fail so badly it's embarrassing.

posted on Apr, 10 2017 @ 01:00 PM
link   
a reply to: Tempter

wrong

christian tradition begins after christ.

early christians wrote accounts that mary was 12 when she was engaged to a 90 year old widower called joseph.

i can't help you if you are too lazy to research this further

posted on Apr, 11 2017 @ 03:19 PM
link   

Here is something that most Christians don't know about Mary, the mother of Jesus.

SOS ..goodbye troll.

posted on Apr, 11 2017 @ 09:37 PM
link   

Alright...let me just say this...you are a damn ass sorry example of a "Christian". How's that for ya?

I used to be one....not anymore. Even I (knowing as much as I do), think you are an excellent example of this...

Mahatma Gandhi

“I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ.”

You seriously need to take that to heart.

edit on 11-4-2017 by Matrixsurvivor because: (no reason given)

edit on 11-4-2017 by Matrixsurvivor because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 11 2017 @ 09:43 PM
link   

the long life span of people in the bible started to drop after the flood. go read it, it's in there.

here i'll help

Genesis 6:3 New American Standard Bible (NASB)
3 Then the Lord said, “My Spirit shall not strive with man forever, because he also is flesh; nevertheless his days shall be one hundred and twenty years.”

and life spans began to drop steadily after that.

and if you knew the bible, you would know that both Abraham and Sarah had doubts about it having a child.

Yet Abraham was making babies at the age of 100. He died at the grand age of 175.

Isaac died at 180

ishmael died at 140.

posted on Apr, 11 2017 @ 11:25 PM
link   

Really, you a christian or a gnostic
You made the absurd statement, you prove it

Try common sense, 90 year old man marrying a 12 year old girl.
Just think about it, just stop and use your brain and think about it

Ps don't bother if you don't have a brain

the irony here is simply too much.

the burden of proof is always on someone else, isnt it.

long live the suspension of disbelief for the sake of convenience.

posted on Apr, 11 2017 @ 11:31 PM
link   

Alright...let me just say this...you are a damn ass sorry example of a "Christian". How's that for ya?

I used to be one....not anymore. Even I (knowing as much as I do), think you are an excellent example of this...

Mahatma Gandhi

“I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ.”

You seriously need to take that to heart.

Well I am sorry, didnt know how sensitive you were to a little bit of criticism, there there, sorry

I think if I wasnt a christian you wouldnt be such a cry baby

posted on Apr, 11 2017 @ 11:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: TzarChasm

Really, you a christian or a gnostic
You made the absurd statement, you prove it

Try common sense, 90 year old man marrying a 12 year old girl.
Just think about it, just stop and use your brain and think about it

Ps don't bother if you don't have a brain

the irony here is simply too much.

the burden of proof is always on someone else, isnt it.

long live the suspension of disbelief for the sake of convenience.

Hey TC
this could be hard for you to understand but

The BURDEN OF PROOF always lies with the one who makes the claim
or
Another way to put it, you say it you prove it

I am trying to think of another way to simplify it but, hey?

Do you understand or should I think of other ways to help you understand?

posted on Apr, 11 2017 @ 11:36 PM
link   

I am sorry it is wrong to my knıwledge. Statistically death frequency is higher before noah.

posted on Apr, 11 2017 @ 11:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: Blue Shift
I always understood that Joseph was a relatively high-ranking member of the Jewish counsel, and was given a territory in Egypt to represent. If you go along with the Christmas story, it's pretty clear he wasn't poor, particularly with all the gold, frankincense, and myrrh. Mary had some distant relationship to Kings David and Solomon.

This also explains why they had to travel so far to go to return to Bethlehem for the census, and why when they visited the Temple in Jerusalem when Jesus was 13 (and they mistakenly left him there like in Home Alone) they had a large party and were traveling a long distance. It also partially explains why Jesus was relatively aware of numerous other religious practices, like Buddhism, although most of his teachings were those he "borrowed" from John the Baptist.

Joseph and Mary offered a pair of turtle doves

Thirty-two more days passed quietly in Bethlehem. The Law said that forty days after the birth of a male child, the mother was to offer a sacrifice at the temple for her purification (Leviticus 12:1-8). Because blood is involved in the act of giving birth, the woman was made ceremonially unfit to enter the temple for worship. Simply as a reminder of the curse of sin and of God's judgment on Eve which made pain part of the process of childbirth, sacrifices had to be made. The Law required two sacrifices — a lamb offered as a burnt offering and a dove or pigeon offered as a sin offering. If you were too poor to buy a lamb, the Law allowed the offering of two doves or pigeons. We get some insight into the poverty of Mary and Joseph when we read in Luke 2:24 that they offered two birds. They couldn't afford a lamb.
www.ccel.us...

posted on Apr, 11 2017 @ 11:47 PM
link   

Nobody can find proof links to a new 'idea' to themselves through their old ways. Thus yes providing proof is always on the listener. Also you really dont feel like proving somethings in most conditions.again this may be for your own sake despite i feel you would think differently. I always want to peole to understand easily but understanding was never easy. So forgive me if it looks annoying.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join