It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The hidden history of Mary and Joseph

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 9 2017 @ 12:13 AM
link   
Here is something that most Christians don't know about Mary, the mother of Jesus.

The apocryphal "History of Joseph the Carpenter", written in the 5th century and framed as a biography of Joseph dictated by Jesus, states that:

A. Joseph was a 90 year old widower with four sons and two daughters, when he was engaged

B. Mary was only a 12 year old child at the time of engagement.

3. Now when righteous Joseph became a widower, my mother Mary, blessed, holy, and pure, was already twelve years old. For her parents offered her in the temple when she was three years of age, and she remained in the temple of the Lord nine years.

Then when the priests saw that the virgin, holy and God-fearing, was growing up, they spoke to each other, saying: Let us search out a man, righteous and pious, to whom Mary may be entrusted until the time of her marriage; lest, if she remain in the temple, it happen to her as is wont to happen to women, and lest on that account we sin, and God be angry with us.

4. Therefore they immediately sent out, and assembled twelve old men of the tribe of Judah. And they wrote down the names of the twelve tribes of Israel. And the lot fell upon the pious old man, righteous Joseph. Then the priests answered, and said to my blessed mother: Go with Joseph, and be with him till the time of your marriage.

From the infancy gospel of James:

“…His eldest son was James, surnamed Oblias—that he begat him when he was about forty years old: after him he had another son named Jose, then Simeon and Judas, and then his two daughters Mary and Salome: after his wife’s death he continued many years a widower, and about fourscore years old married Mary

Dont forget: That Mary was only 12 when she was engaged to a 90 year old widower is a Christian tradition. The books " History of Joseph the carpenter " and "infancy gospel of James" are of Christian origin.

These are Christian traditions!

Given that 2000 years ago, Israelites were married off as soon as they hit puberty (12 or 13), Mary could not have been in her mid 20's as portrayed in pictures and movies. She would have been around 12 or 13.

edit on 9-4-2017 by firefromabove because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 9 2017 @ 12:37 AM
link   
a reply to: firefromabove

Hum yeah, that's a big stretch of assumption, very big stretch
Mary probably 14' Joeseph in his 30s
People didn't live to 90 back then, never to suggest that is just simply ludicrous

Where did you get your information from, main stream media, some other crackpot source that isn't worth quoting

People in those times were lucky to make 50

This thread is foolish, as if Joeseph was 90, come on, engage the brain

edit on 9-4-2017 by Raggedyman because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 9 2017 @ 12:56 AM
link   
a reply to: Raggedyman

My sources are Christian apocryphal works authored by Christians.

You have no proofs to back your claims regarding the age of people back then. The Bible says they lived well beyond 100. In the old testament people lived betweeb 300 to 900 years. Abraham was making babies even at 100.

Probably because they ate completely organic non processed food and because there was no pollution .

posted on Apr, 9 2017 @ 01:01 AM
link   

The OP story sounds like Hugh Heffner time travelled back to temple of sinners ... House of David - the Playboy Mansion?

That said - I would not believe a 91 year old grappa had the strenght to flee to Egypt and return back as a 103 old ... I honestly doubt it.

posted on Apr, 9 2017 @ 01:08 AM
link   
a reply to: deckdel

Its not my story.

Christian writings not in the Bible state that Joseph was 90 when he was emhahedy to a 12 year old Mary.

Doesn't matter what you believe. That's what the books say. That's Christian tradition.

posted on Apr, 9 2017 @ 02:31 AM
link   

I have to wonder if this is just in an English version of whatever book this is in because I could totally see someone messing up and translating 19 as 90. Or 19 as 91 should dyslexia play any part in this. 90 seems way too old for someone back then and not to mention the lower sperm counts at that age would make a miracle pregnancy even harder to have happened.

posted on Apr, 9 2017 @ 02:37 AM
link   

Apocrypha əˈpɒkrɪfə/ noun singular proper noun: Apocrypha biblical or related writings not forming part of the accepted canon of Scripture.
writings or reports not considered genuine.
plural noun: apocrypha

There are reasons why those writings never made the grade. They were known to be gross distortions and even hoaxes. Gnostic belief is entirely different in nature to traditional orthodox belief.

en.wikipedia.org...

The Gnostic ideas and systems flourished in Mediterranean in the second century CE, in conjunction with and influenced by the early Christian movements and Middle Platonism. After the second century a decline set in, but Gnosticism persisted throughout the centuries as an undercurrent of western culture, remanifesting with the Renaissance as Western Esotericism, taking prominence with modern spirituality. In the Persian Empire Gnosticism spread as far as China with Manicheism, while Mandeism still is alive in Iraq.

posted on Apr, 9 2017 @ 02:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: firefromabove

My sources are Christian apocryphal works authored by Christians.

You have no proofs to back your claims regarding the age of people back then. The Bible says they lived well beyond 100. In the old testament people lived betweeb 300 to 900 years. Abraham was making babies even at 100.

Probably because they ate completely organic non processed food and because there was no pollution .

Really is that your best
Christian apocryphal work?

I don't need to prove people didn't live to 90 years two thousand years ago, it's common knowledge
You have to prove they lived to 90, it's your absurd belief.
The onus is on you for making the absurd statement...You prove it
90 years old, seriously, you would not believe everything you read would you, probably better I don't ask...
edit on 9-4-2017 by Raggedyman because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 9 2017 @ 02:43 AM
link   

According to the Bible how long did Noah live?

PS. Don't bother if you're an atheist.

posted on Apr, 9 2017 @ 02:48 AM
link   

Really, you a christian or a gnostic
You made the absurd statement, you prove it

Try common sense, 90 year old man marrying a 12 year old girl.
Just think about it, just stop and use your brain and think about it

Ps don't bother if you don't have a brain

posted on Apr, 9 2017 @ 02:55 AM
link   

I don't waste my time with atheists. Thought you were a Christian.

posted on Apr, 9 2017 @ 02:57 AM
link   

I think the purpose of the OP is to claim that christians are the same as muslims, when it comes to old men marrying young girls, I noticed the poster on another thread defending old Mo Mo and his marriage to a 6 yr old. Although, in reality both books, the bible and the koran are just a bunch of stories made up to fill a narrative and should have no bearing whatsoever in the 21st century imo

posted on Apr, 9 2017 @ 03:02 AM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Apr, 9 2017 @ 03:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: destination now

I think the purpose of the OP is to claim that christians are the same as muslims, when it comes to old men marrying young girls, I noticed the poster on another thread defending old Mo Mo and his marriage to a 6 yr old. Although, in reality both books, the bible and the koran are just a bunch of stories made up to fill a narrative and should have no bearing whatsoever in the 21st century imo

and I welcome you to your opinion
Irrespective it's absurd to think that a 90 year old man would have kids with a 12 year old girl, it's like the brain hasn't been activated

posted on Apr, 9 2017 @ 03:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: firefromabove

I don't waste my time with atheists. Thought you were a Christian.

Don't seem to waste your time with common sense either
Be nice if you put a bit of effort into thinking beyond my faith

posted on Apr, 9 2017 @ 03:14 AM
link   
a reply to: destination now

before muslims and at the time they came, it is said newly born baby girls are buried alive. they didnt have much value. So it depends on people at the time how they persoanlly chose to treat girls. socially they didnt have any value. 600 year difference is not much.

especially thinking. if it was any better before that 600 years, it went backwards somehow.
edit on 9-4-2017 by xbeta because: (no reason given)

whih eventually resulted with a quran verse prohibitting the burying or killing of newly born girl babies.
edit on 9-4-2017 by xbeta because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 9 2017 @ 03:16 AM
link   
a reply to: destination now

Wrong. I simply showed that the Aisha was between 18 and 20 when she married the prophet.

posted on Apr, 9 2017 @ 03:18 AM
link   

If you're an atheist, your words mean absolutely nothing.

posted on Apr, 9 2017 @ 03:22 AM
link   

So you are a Muslim, seriously, a Muslim reading apocrypha
You are just reporting the news are you

Your prophet was a nutjob and you want to make Joeseph look the same to justify your prophets perversion.

Yes it was common for girls to marry in Israel at 14

Aisha was a 6 year old and it's widely established that Muhomoud was a disgusting human being

posted on Apr, 9 2017 @ 03:26 AM
link   

thats a nice way to put it, i believe.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join