It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US Carrier strike group heads toward Korean Peninsula

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 8 2017 @ 11:47 PM
link   

(CNN)A US aircraft carrier-led strike group is headed toward the Western Pacific Ocean near the Korean Peninsula, a US defense official confirmed to CNN. The move of the Vinson strike group is in response to recent North Korean provocations, the official said.
Adm. Harry Harris, the commander of US Pacific Command, directed the USS Carl Vinson strike group to sail north to the Western Pacific after departing Singapore on Saturday, Pacific Command announced.

It is not uncommon for aircraft carriers to operate in that area, and the United States regularly deploys military assets, such as aircraft, to the region as a show of force. In fact, the Vinson was in South Korea last month for military exercises.

Just days ago, North Korea launched a Scud extended-range missile, which US officials said exploded in flight. The regime also has recently conducted several missile engine tests as it works to improve its ballistic missile technology.

Source

Not sure what to think here. I don't want to provoke an enemy to the point they respond and have it escalate to war, but at the same time this nut seems to keep pushing things onto other countries, including us and if this is just posturing on our part then part of me supports it.

What could a conflict with N. Korea lead too? I think the only thing they could do is attempt a rocket launch and surely us and China have those targeted and monitored right now. I would hope Kim would not try and send one to S. Korea as a defiant move. There is the world police argument at play again, and many do not wish for this, but this guy's threats are more than just fluff with his arsenal imo. I just don't know, but here we go?
edit on 9-4-2017 by waftist because: (no reason given)

edit on Sun Apr 9 2017 by DontTreadOnMe because: trimmed overly long quote IMPORTANT: Using Content From Other Websites on ATS

posted on Apr, 8 2017 @ 11:52 PM
link   
I don't support warmongering and the US is doing just that
Park your gangs vehicles outside my door and will take a defensive posture

posted on Apr, 8 2017 @ 11:58 PM
link   
a reply to: waftist

www.realcleardefense.com...

Thought it was already in the area for South Koreas war games...

Korea Times, Korea Times March 15, 2017

USS Carl Vinson aircraft carrier arrived at Korea's southern port of Busan on Wednesday to participate in the ongoing joint exercises by Seoul and Washington in the latest show of force against North Korea, the US military said.

posted on Apr, 8 2017 @ 11:58 PM
link   
Already posted and all you post is a cut and paste? What's your opinion? What do you have to say about this story, anything?

posted on Apr, 8 2017 @ 11:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: Naturallywired
Already posted and all you post is a cut and paste? What's your opinion? What do you have to say about this story, anything?

My bad I apologize, was going to just be informative, but yea that is weak just to copy paste.
Edited and thanks

posted on Apr, 9 2017 @ 12:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: waftist

originally posted by: Naturallywired

My bad I apologize, was going to just be informative, but yea that is weak just to copy paste.
Edited and thanks
I still think it's just a training exercise or just a show of force at this point.

posted on Apr, 9 2017 @ 12:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: D8Tee

www.realcleardefense.com...

Thought it was already in the area for South Koreas war games...

Korea Times, Korea Times March 15, 2017

USS Carl Vinson aircraft carrier arrived at Korea's southern port of Busan on Wednesday to participate in the ongoing joint exercises by Seoul and Washington in the latest show of force against North Korea, the US military said.

Hmmm, was that one just the single carrier and this is a strike group? I was unaware of military exercises started last month, thx. Interesting timing? Or is this month the usual time for these exercises in that area annually? Perhaps the "breaking news" banner on CNN was hyped.

Maybe Pres Trump's meeting with Chinese President Xi Jinping didn't go as planned, as in the Chinese leader was reluctant to demonstrate any posturing? Just guessing..

posted on Apr, 9 2017 @ 12:08 AM
link   
From the OP:

It is not uncommon for aircraft carriers to operate in that area, and the United States regularly deploys military assets, such as aircraft, to the region as a show of force. In fact, the Vinson was in South Korea last month for military exercises.

posted on Apr, 9 2017 @ 12:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: BlueAjah
From the OP:

Yes I realize now, but the additional "strike force?" Maybe I fell for CNN "breaking news" a little knee jerkish,like they want us to? I can admit that. The current climate though is conducive to such aggressions perhaps?

posted on Apr, 9 2017 @ 12:40 AM
link   

Never know.

Might be onto something.

Maybe the chinese leader gave them the green light?

I'm going to post this in the ongoing Korea watch thread and see if anyone has an idea of why the strike group would be heading in there.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

edit on 9-4-2017 by D8Tee because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 9 2017 @ 12:47 AM
link   
Looks like Trump is Hillary 2.0!
I dont think anyone voted for Trump to play world police.

posted on Apr, 9 2017 @ 12:55 AM
link   
a reply to: D8Tee

Ahh I was unaware of that thread, thx. I too will add any further info there, in the future .

Maybe the chinese leader gave them the green light?

Just as possiblie I suppose. I searched for opinions of Xi Jinping towards N, Korea and ran across this, it's from March 22

Xi and Trump are therefore at a kind of impasse when it comes to how to deal with North Korea.
Trump’s team appears to be bound to absolutist positions, unimpressed with China’s work to both vote for sanctions and enforce them. And China is stuck with its decision in 2010-11 to support the third-generation hereditary succession in North Korea.
But at least the two leaders are talking, even as Kim Jong-un continues his incessant work of military development and Congress keeps working to give Trump levers he can use against Xi.

Source

posted on Apr, 9 2017 @ 01:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: BlueAjah
From the OP:

I served on an aircraft carrier and I know the drill
It is about snooping in other peoples business rather than defending this country
We go 2000 miles away from our borders in order to tell other people what to do
They are not allowed to be responsible

posted on Apr, 9 2017 @ 05:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: CraftyArrow
Looks like Trump is Hillary 2.0!
I dont think anyone voted for Trump to play world police.

Somebody has to, otherwise these crazy leaders just get more and more assertive each year. Other organisations like the UN, EU would wait for the big one to happen then issue a resolution condemning the behavior.

North Korea seriously believes that having nukes is the only thing stopping either the USA or China from invading them and trying to take over their country. Both China and South Korea don't want any kind of military action because they would be left with dealing of millions of refugees. But they can't tolerate having missiles flying over their skies either. North Korea can't improve trade relations because that would lead to a takeover. So it's a waiting game.

posted on Apr, 9 2017 @ 07:26 AM
link   

Carriers never travel alone. They were there for an exercise, and probably left for a port call, or to work with another ship or group of ships, and are on their way back now.

posted on Apr, 9 2017 @ 10:17 AM
link   
Posted earlier here
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Please add further comments to the ongoing discussion in the above linked thread.
Thanks

**Thread Closed**

top topics

join