It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Remember "The day after"???

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 8 2017 @ 06:28 PM
link   
I remember when this movie played back in the early 80s. We were in a tense relationship with the then Soviet Union, and everyone was terrified of nuclear war back then. Then the wall came down and it looked like the world had a chance of moving away from nuclear holocaust. These past couple years, I am not so sure. Then with the events of this week. I had a disturbing sort of resignation; it feels like we are living in this movie, ie the events leading up to the nuclear attack. In the newscasts, conversations I heard while out and about, conversations with coworkers and family. It feels like we are on the cusp of something terrible happening. I am just wondering if anyone else out there is feeling this who saw this movie. I am hoping I am wrong, and its just paranoia, but things seem to be getting worse by the day.

edit on 8-4-2017 by openminded2011 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 8 2017 @ 06:32 PM
link   
pretty much. life imitating art imitating life and all that.

posted on Apr, 8 2017 @ 06:36 PM
link   
a reply to: openminded2011

I remember that movie, it was a reality check. That being said, there'll be no US-Russia nuclear war in our lifetime. Just as we don't want to be annihilated from this mortal coil, neither does Putin as he knows we can turn his homeland uninhabital too.

posted on Apr, 8 2017 @ 06:37 PM
link   
In my opinion even if USA would go to war with Russia, even if it would escalate outside of Syria Putin wouldn't use nukes knowing that Trump might retaliate fully and launch everything at them. I also don't think that Trump has the only say when it comes to first strike. I don't think that Pentagon would love the idea of scorched USA and dying in the bunkers. Also there are people in missile silos that could simply disobey the order to launch knowing what that means.

posted on Apr, 8 2017 @ 06:40 PM
link   
a reply to: UnBreakable

I don't think it will happen intentionally, but the chance of it happening by accident is what worries me. And the more tensions rise the more it becomes possible. The whole situation with NATO and all the border tensions occurring is worrisome. And there is always the chance someone on either side could miscalculate and cause a confrontation. Our leaders need to really do some serious thinking about the ramifications of the present situation and the dialog needs to increase.

edit on 8-4-2017 by openminded2011 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 8 2017 @ 06:44 PM
link   

Yeah i remember the movie. The EMP wave from the nuke if i twas at ground level wouldnt had knocked out cars ESPECIALLY from the 70s. Its mainly a scare the sheeple movie. Alot of stuff is correct but alot is wrong.

posted on Apr, 8 2017 @ 06:46 PM
link   

Here is the attack scene.

I have this on DVD and watch it probably once a year.

I just hope if it ever kicks off the first one gets me with a direct hit.

posted on Apr, 8 2017 @ 06:47 PM
link   
a reply to: yuppa

I agree they got a lot wrong. a real nuclear war would be far worse. I think the movie Threads probably was closer to reality.

posted on Apr, 8 2017 @ 06:47 PM
link   
oh man, I remember when that movie came out. It gave me nightmares!

If there is going to be a nuclear disaster it is more likely to come from something Fukushima-like than from a war. No one is that crazy.
... Except for maybe Kim Jong-un. He is dangerous.

posted on Apr, 8 2017 @ 06:49 PM
link   
a reply to: stosh64

I too would prefer to be vaporized than have to survive in the aftermath. Not sure if you have ever seen this site, but its interesting.

www.nuclearsecrecy.com...

posted on Apr, 8 2017 @ 06:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: KiwiNite
In my opinion even if USA would go to war with Russia, even if it would escalate outside of Syria Putin wouldn't use nukes knowing that Trump might retaliate fully and launch everything at them. I also don't think that Trump has the only say when it comes to first strike. I don't think that Pentagon would love the idea of scorched USA and dying in the bunkers. Also there are people in missile silos that could simply disobey the order to launch knowing what that means.

There are some very old prophecies......got them laying around here somewhere......says Russia will get sick of all this flibbidy flab step up and lead its proxies and the lot into a large scale war unifying around several things but the distruction of Israle will be key but not the whole show.

posted on Apr, 8 2017 @ 06:51 PM
link   

Hey just live near a airbase and youll get your wish. im 30 miles from Shaw AFB. so ill be a crispy critter.

posted on Apr, 8 2017 @ 06:53 PM
link   
a reply to: yuppa

I work right across the street from a major defense contractor, am sure they are probably targeted, so if it happens during work day, I am sure I would be.

posted on Apr, 8 2017 @ 06:57 PM
link   

I just can't forget that part when they start loosing hair. Putin has nothing to lose but Trump..., oh man.

posted on Apr, 8 2017 @ 06:57 PM
link   

Yep, I have played around with that site a lot.

Sadly, in most scenarios, I am right on the fringe where I live. So I would have blast and burn damage but may survive.

Unless it is over a few megatons. I'll just pray for a big one. lol

posted on Apr, 8 2017 @ 07:00 PM
link   
Full movie

posted on Apr, 8 2017 @ 07:05 PM
link   
The US is despite its problems still the worlds 800lb guerilla I dont think even a lunatic is going to attack it with nukes.Now a home grown lunatic such as a rogue General in a California exit or such that might be a possibility so Im thinking more the series Jericho than the OP's movie

posted on Apr, 8 2017 @ 07:22 PM
link   

Also remember folks that the those people, tribes ect that sport the two headed eagle have a linage that goes all the way back to Lagash, Sumeria........carried to this day be the same folks, still making claims to the area of nativity along with some others. Its why Russia doesn't just butt out of the east......the cant really.

Back then it was a city state war with each pressing for influence around the world. Now....well.....shazam Sargent Carter!

posted on Apr, 8 2017 @ 07:48 PM
link   
I watched it when I was a young kid.
I forgot the "Goot" was in it.
They can blow it all to hell. I'll bring marshmallows.

posted on Apr, 8 2017 @ 08:03 PM
link   
North Korea, feeling abandoned/betrayed by China, and Kim succumbing to congenital paranoia, either attacks South Korea outright, or launches a missile, with a nuclear warhead.

Mid-level chaos ensues as Trump over-reacts without co-ordinating a response with China.

Taiwan is lost. The Korean Peninsula is decimated.

Japan is mortally wounded.

Perhaps the west coast of the US is damaged, but recoverable.

In the melter, Pakistan and India slit each other's throats before anyone can stop them and the fallout, real and socio-political changes SE Asia forever.

Half of Europe reverts back to Russian-dominance in an attempt to avoid a holocaust, although there will be plenty of bloodshed nevertheless.

Italy, on the new border, falls to chaos, the RC church is forced to flee for its survival, but vows (hopefully) to return.

Does it head to South or Central America?
My bet is evenly on Mexico or Brazil (though, as I consider it, Mexico might have the edge.

Israel seizes the opportunity to attack Iran but faces near anihilation from counter attacks by Saudi and Egyptian forces, acting in some cases against their official governments.

And what about Canada, Africa, and the land Down Under?

It won't be quite the Armageddon we were expecting, but it won't be a picnic either.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join