It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Laser weapons edge toward use in US military

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 8 2017 @ 02:57 PM
link   
Lasers are coming soon to a theater near you, ATS...! Except this is a theater called reality. Several defense contractor companies including: Boeing, Lockheed Martin, Northrop Grumman, and Raytheon are all developing laser systems for use by the military. Right now the lasers being tested are 50-60 kilowatt but within a few years the military expects to move up to 150 kilowatt and eventually 300 kilowatt lasers.

Lightsabers -- the favored weapon of the Jedi in "Star Wars" films -- will remain in the fictional realm for now, but after decades of development, laser weapons are now here and are being deployed on military vehicles and planes. Boeing, Lockheed Martin, Northrop Grumman, Raytheon -- all the big defense players -- are developing prototypes for the Pentagon. The Navy has since 2014 been testing a 30-kilowatt laser on one of its warships, the USS Ponce. Lockheed Martin has just announced a 60-kilowatt laser weapon that soon will be installed on an Army truck for operational testing against mortars and small drones. The weapon can take out a drone from a distance of about 500 yards (meters) by keeping its beam locked onto the target for a few seconds, Jim Murdoch, an international business development director at Lockheed, told reporters this week. But unlike in the movies, the laser beam is invisible to the naked eye.

We all knew that lasers are in our future but the reality of this future is right around the corner. As stated in the article these lasers are invisible right now but maybe we'll have colorful lasers just like in the movies..! Finally, even Lightsabers! I'd either want a yellow or a blue lightsaber. What says ATS?

www.yahoo.com...

posted on Apr, 8 2017 @ 03:08 PM
link   
Navy ship called the USS Ponce ???

ponce pɒns/Submit BRITISHinformal noun 1. derogatory an effeminate man. 2. a man who lives off a prostitute's earnings. verb 1. seek to obtain (something) without paying for it or doing anything in return. "I ponced a ciggie off her" 2. live off a prostitute's earnings. "he was arrested for poncing on the girl"

WTF LOL

posted on Apr, 8 2017 @ 03:19 PM
link   
a reply to: ZIPMATT

Juan Ponce de Leon

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Apr, 8 2017 @ 03:41 PM
link   
Well they could have added the De Leon bit !

Read about Ponce De Leon , and this page :

The Fountain of Youth is a spring that supposedly restores the youth of anyone who drinks or bathes in its waters. Tales of such a fountain have been recounted across the world for thousands of years, appearing in writings by Herodotus (5th century BCE), the Alexander romance (3rd century CE), and the stories of Prester John (early Crusades, 11th/12th centuries CE). Stories of similar waters were also evidently prominent among the indigenous peoples of the Caribbean during the Age of Exploration (early 16th century), who spoke of the restorative powers of the water in the mythical land of Bimini. The legend became particularly prominent in the 16th century, when it was attached to the Spanish explorer Juan Ponce de León, first Governor of Puerto Rico. According to an apocryphal combination of New World and Eurasian elements, Ponce de León was searching for the Fountain of Youth when he traveled to what is now Florida in 1513, but this is a myth. The legend says that Ponce de León was told by Native Americans that the Fountain of Youth was in Bimini and it could restore youth to anyone.

Sorry op

posted on Apr, 8 2017 @ 05:55 PM
link   
I think making a light saber would be easy. We can easily fit a laser into a handheld unit. The hard part is restricting the range. That can be done with a mirror or reflector. But then the problem is trying to keep it in place. That could be done using this magnet trick using one strong magnet and a few weaker ones.

Because of the inverse-cubed law for the strength of the magnetic field, the large magnet has a long range attractive force, while the smaller magnets have a short-range repelling force. This creates a equilibrium point at a set distance.
This would have to be extended into three dimensions. But as the field strength is adjusted, the length of the laser beam can be adjusted.

posted on Apr, 8 2017 @ 07:52 PM
link   
Light sabers are kind of like fountains where the water is recycled so one only needs a certain amount of water to keep in going. In the case of the light saber the light is recycled as a result of something in the mechanism.Of course one would need a way to bend the light once the business end reached a certain distance.

posted on Apr, 8 2017 @ 08:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: ZIPMATT
Navy ship called the USS Ponce ???

ponce pɒns/Submit BRITISHinformal noun 1. derogatory an effeminate man. 2. a man who lives off a prostitute's earnings. verb 1. seek to obtain (something) without paying for it or doing anything in return. "I ponced a ciggie off her" 2. live off a prostitute's earnings. "he was arrested for poncing on the girl"

WTF LOL

USS Ponce, is an Austin-class amphibious transport dock of the United States Navy. Commissioned in 1971, she spent most of her career based on the East Coast and operating in the Atlantic Ocean and ... Wikipedia
Length: 570′
Homeport: Norfolk, Virginia
Commissioned: 10 July 1971
Builder: Lockheed Shipbuilding and Construction Company
Named for: Ponce, Puerto Rico
Ordered: 17 May 1965

posted on Apr, 8 2017 @ 08:09 PM
link   
a reply to: pteridine

Ponce in Puerto Rico is a really nice place to visit.

posted on Apr, 8 2017 @ 08:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kashai

Ponce in Puerto Rico is a really nice place to visit.

Ponce es la Perla del Sur.

posted on Apr, 8 2017 @ 08:24 PM
link   

Sabe usted de la batalla de El Morro?

Realmente no aplico mi nombre de soltera de las madres formalmente.

Soy miembro de la familia de Encarnación.

edit on 8-4-2017 by Kashai because: Added content

posted on Apr, 8 2017 @ 09:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kashai

Sabe usted de la batalla de El Morro?

Realmente no aplico mi nombre de soltera de las madres formalmente.

Soy miembro de la familia de Encarnación.

There were several attacks on San Juan. El Morro did what it could. The last battle was against the US Navy during the Spanish-American War after which when Spain lost most of its Caribbean possessions.

The USS Ponce was commissioned as Austin class LPD and they are named for smaller cities; I was aboard the USS Coronado of the same class of ship. Ponce was the last of the Austin Class LPD's and was to be decommissioned but was saved to be used in several test applications. The LaWS was one of them.

posted on Apr, 8 2017 @ 09:58 PM
link   
Another take...

The battle of El Morro was a response to an effort at Genocide by Spain against the Taino due to something that they because aware of, of that culture once they moved there center of operation from what we call today Puerto Rico
but was then called Borinquen ( a Spanish translation of the word in what Nahuatl.

This was back in the early 1800's I carry no hostility, I am simply relating I know that occurred.

There is a Fort in San Juan Puerto Rico known as El Morro...

From that Fort what was then the equivalent to the Spanish Armada at the time was destroyed, buy the cannons of El Morro, under the orders of a member of the Islands Indigenous culture.

That's the short, short, short version.

I lost an Uncle in Vietnam when I was younger but that's not the whole story.....

edit on 8-4-2017 by Kashai because: Added content

posted on Apr, 9 2017 @ 06:54 PM
link   
a reply to: ZIPMATT

Ponce is spanish. I've known ponce's by first and last name. Pronounce both as "Pons" and "Poe-nsay", depending on who it was saying it (I read it as "poe-nsay"). It is typical that crude slang is disregarded in officialdom.

new topics

top topics

join