It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Drats, need some help

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 7 2017 @ 07:21 PM
link   
Its been a bad week. My basement flooded and killed my furnace, so we bought a couple electric heaters because it is freezing. I blew the breaker and my computer/tv shut down. I waded through the water and flipped it back on but my computer display is wacked. It's like both the left and right side are cut off.

I went into settings/ display and did nothing. I can't even see some of this text. the left and right sides are cut off.

It is an acer with windows 10... I am not a computer guy by any means so if anybody could help me get it back to original would be great.

Thanks
keith

posted on Apr, 7 2017 @ 07:26 PM
link   
a reply to: tinner07

Doubtful...sorry. Time to upgrade. Other members may have ideas...but I think its fried for good*

PS Im an EMT...You WADED through WATER to flip on an ELECTRICAL CIRCUIT BREAKER!!!!!!????????

Please dont do that....again! Good luck

PPS There may have made something electrical-box-plug etc...under the wading water-line! Electrocution is never a good thing and always turns out badly
edit on 7-4-2017 by mysterioustranger because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 7 2017 @ 07:31 PM
link   
Can you get into display settings?

Go to or search for control panel and look for it. Resolution may be wrong now, if you can get on here , might be your monitor.

link   

To fix the issue with “Black bars”, Change-your-screen-resolution and check; and also make sure that the monitor is set to wide screen display.

black vertical bars

change your screen resolution

link   
a reply to: mysterioustranger

PS Im an EMT...You WADED through WATER to flip on an ELECTRICAL CIRCUIT BREAKER!!!!!!????????

yeah I was a bit worried but was fine.
my computer display not so fine

posted on Apr, 7 2017 @ 07:36 PM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

I tried the settings stuff first but
that doesnt seem to help but thanks.

posted on Apr, 7 2017 @ 07:43 PM
link   
a reply to: Groot

ok I did find control panel, this is different than my old windows 7 computer. But that didnt find the problem. There isnt really a "resolution" like my old one had. Just a zoom.

posted on Apr, 7 2017 @ 08:05 PM
link   

Yeah...its sometimes fries out as its fading-hence the exposed sides. But please my friend? Dont go "flipping-out" in knee deep water!

You coulda flipped your own lights out for good! I hope you can get the comptr back...or its just time for a new one. And a POWER STRIP if you didnt have one on it....wouldve blown out before it reached the computer...

posted on Apr, 7 2017 @ 08:20 PM
link   

There isnt really a "resolution" like my old one had. Just a zoom.
there is...
could you take a screencap of what youre seeing and post it?

edit on 7-4-2017 by Rikku because: (no reason given)

edit on 7-4-2017 by Rikku because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 7 2017 @ 09:29 PM
link   

try plugging into an external monitor , ?

posted on Apr, 7 2017 @ 09:55 PM
link   
its fried

posted on Apr, 7 2017 @ 09:55 PM
link   
its fried

posted on Apr, 7 2017 @ 10:10 PM
link   
Sounds fried. But just to be sure throw it in the air, let it crash on the floor and see if that fixes it? I actually did this with a dvd player years ago and it worked great ever since. I looked at it this way it's already f**d so at least I would go away with a thrill. had some cracks in the case but it finally worked right.

posted on Apr, 7 2017 @ 10:45 PM
link   
Some older monitors have a button that changes resolution have you tried
pressing that.

posted on Apr, 8 2017 @ 12:00 AM
link   
Perhaps the monitor is fine and you inadvertently god electrocuted and it's your vision that is cut off at the sides!!

Oo

Is it a laptop or a desktop? If a desktop, do you use the on board gpu, or a dedicated card? It could be the actual video if the pc fritzed out when the power died, if you can borrow a different video card, or if you do use a dedicated video card, try the on board to determine if the monitor is at fault.

I can't see the resolution changing from a power outage unless the pc actually got damaged.

and I really don't see the monitor getting fried unless it got wet also... I'd say perhaps a surge fried something in the pc related to the video, but not enough to render the entire machine b0rked...

posted on Apr, 8 2017 @ 03:29 AM
link   
well I did not do anything really and I turned it on this morning and everything is hunky dory A-OK fine and back to normal....which around here is pretty much SNAFU.

Thanks for everybody's advice

This thread can be closed

posted on Apr, 8 2017 @ 05:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: tinner07
well I did not do anything really and I turned it on this morning and everything is hunky dory A-OK fine and back to normal....which around here is pretty much SNAFU.

Thanks for everybody's advice

This thread can be closed

Ahhh that is IT in a nutshell brother...

It's fate like that, that keeps up employed, as long as we can take credit for it !! haha... baffle them with bullsnip, as long as they get things back, we're gods !!

I miss working in IT... well no I don't... I miss missing working it IT..

Glad you got it back though !!

posted on Apr, 8 2017 @ 05:51 AM
link   
a reply to: LoneWrecche

You speak the truth! I cant tell you how many times this happens in a week. Hey if the user is happy and I didn't have to hardly do a thing... I enjoy working in IT, at least where I am currently employed.

posted on Apr, 8 2017 @ 08:44 AM
link   
ignore all . . . did not read last 3 posts
edit on 482017 by JDeLattre89 because: Because I can.

top topics

join