It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Deer jumps over motorcyclist's head in Washington D.C

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 7 2017 @ 12:53 PM
link   
A motorcyclist out for a ride in Washington, D.C., captured the moment a deer jumped over a fellow rider's head, causing him to crash.

The video shows the bikers participating in the Distinguished Gentleman's Ride -- which benefits prostate cancer -- through a wooded area in the nation's capital.

www.upi.com...

When an animal is lingering on the side of the road, it's a definite sign it's going to make an attempt to cross, so stop or slow to a crawl.

posted on Apr, 7 2017 @ 12:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: phatkhat
When an animal is lingering on the side of the road, it's a definite sign it's going to make an attempt to cross, so stop or slow to a crawl.

They have only so much patience ... and then they commit. They do it Every time too.

Good warning for the new riding season.

posted on Apr, 7 2017 @ 12:58 PM
link   
More over his back, but still, I bet he needed clean undies. I'm glad he is ok.

That is always a huge fear when riding around here. Second only to dumb car drivers.

posted on Apr, 7 2017 @ 12:59 PM
link   
We just had a rider hit a deer around here about a week ago. He hit the deer. He was in the hospital but I guess he is doing alright now so far. His bike was a mess from what I heard.

It's scary seeing the deer legs when it is jumping over you, I had one jump over me when I was laying against the deer I just dragged up the side of a steep hill when I was hunting. It freeked me out, it was almost like that dear was trying to kick me.

posted on Apr, 7 2017 @ 01:41 PM
link   
There are a few videos on youtube of guys literally cutting deer in half on their bikes. It is bad enough hitting a dear in a car, but hitting one on a bike is much worse. Plenty of fatalities.

When I ride, I am constantly looking for anything that could go wrong. You quickly develop a jedi type sixth sense where you almost know what people will do before they do assessing any and every potential issue. Sometimes though, sh*t just happens.

Here is one a few months ago where a dog runs out and takes out a biker. The guy missed getting flattened by an 18 wheeler in the opposite lane by a few feet. If anything it also shows importance of proper gear too.

posted on Apr, 7 2017 @ 02:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: chiefsmom
More over his back, but still, I bet he needed clean undies. I'm glad he is ok.

That is always a huge fear when riding around here. Second only to dumb car drivers.

I gave up riding back in around the early eighties. People just can't see you, they pull out right in front of you. I bet it's worse nowadays with all the distracted drivers on their cell phones. It was a lot safer to ride with friends, people tend to see bikes better when there are more than one. The noisier the bike the safer it is too. People walking onto the road don't see you either, but they can hear a louder bike coming down the street.

posted on Apr, 7 2017 @ 03:24 PM
link   
a reply to: phatkhat

Could have been worse. Herd of elephants go full 'Waterboy' on poor dude on a moped...

Worst we've got in the UK are male pheasants and wandering sheep. Either of which go zag when an ounce of intelligence says "Go zig!"

posted on Apr, 7 2017 @ 09:22 PM
link   

Deer are so stupid. They freeze in headlights and run into the sides of cars and trucks instead of waiting until the coast is clear to make their dash across the highway. They know how to keep out of sight during hunting season, but they still haven't figured out how to cross a highway without risking their life.

posted on Apr, 8 2017 @ 02:35 AM
link   
a reply to: WeRpeons

Or maybe people are stupid for hitting dear and not being sensitive to the natural environment that surrounds them.

posted on Apr, 8 2017 @ 04:01 AM
link   

I know how that feels. Scary. I was driving through the Mountains and there was a deer standing in the middle of the road only 12 feet in front of me. I found out just how good my reflexes were at that moment in time. Very good indeed. I swerved around it, as it stood mesmerized by my headlights.
edit on 8-4-2017 by Neith because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 8 2017 @ 01:26 PM
link   
Cool video!!! I love the videographers first comment, "that was a huge buck!"
Not, "I wonder if so and so is ok?"
Lol!!! That really gave the video some character!

top topics

join