It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trump Administration Threatened Twitter — Unmask Dissident Accounts Or Else

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 7 2017 @ 05:22 AM
link   
a reply to: theantediluvian

Support for this action, is tantamount to support for the surveillance state, support for Orwellian overreach, the decay of the rights of the citizen... essentially, this is the very sort of behaviour that anyone, left or right, who respects the constitution, not to mention properly understands their rights and the value they have, ought to be absolutely against.

Its an appalling, tyrannical, and yes, very sinister move.

posted on Apr, 7 2017 @ 05:53 AM
link   
Hey appreciate the thread. While we're doing the whole mask unmask thing can't we just get a mask on that face. I mean really. And you included two photos. It's too early. Ill never hold my breakfast down.

And him trying to unmask people. Not surprised. Who would be?
I don't hold back. Let em come after me.
Come on trump you decrepit deranged dog.

posted on Apr, 7 2017 @ 05:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: TrueBrit

Support for this action, is tantamount to support for the surveillance state, support for Orwellian overreach, the decay of the rights of the citizen... essentially, this is the very sort of behaviour that anyone, left or right, who respects the constitution, not to mention properly understands their rights and the value they have, ought to be absolutely against.

Its an appalling, tyrannical, and yes, very sinister move.

How can you take that stance without any substantial evidence? I would agree that if it is for political purposes then it is absolutely wrong and against everything I believed that President Trump stands for in regards to this matter, but without any real evidence I would be remiss to take a negative(or positive) stance.

posted on Apr, 7 2017 @ 06:24 AM
link   
a reply to: TDawg61

Don't take these anti trump threads so personally.
He's not insulting your mama.

posted on Apr, 7 2017 @ 06:30 AM
link   
a reply to: brutus61

I fail to see how this is anything other than a political issue.

First of all, the "dissident" account is a politically motivated one, which features rhetoric and posts which are considered to be anti-Trump. Therefore, this can only be a political issue.

"Tell us his name so that we can invent a crime to arrest him for."

That is what is happening here, plain as day.

posted on Apr, 7 2017 @ 06:31 AM
link   

We are talking about trump. Why is the idea so far fetched?
Where you been for the past year?

posted on Apr, 7 2017 @ 06:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kandinsky

It's interesting. I've looked through several dozen tweets by @ALT_USCIS and haven't seen a theme or instance that justifies this turn of events. There are plenty of Twitter accounts which are more critical of Trump so why is this one singled out??

Most of the tweets are links to other news sites and blogs. I'm back into February and haven't seen a tweet to justify singling them out. No leaks, only links. Something in there sparked someone to send the summons. Curious.

Perhaps they were hoping for compliance as precedent? A fishing expedition to see if twitter would simply comply so they could go after the big fish?

It's all quite strange.

posted on Apr, 7 2017 @ 06:50 AM
link   

I read about this earlier today. I'm glad you made a thread on it because I would have if you hadn't. This is ridiculous but par the course with Trump. Wiping his ass with the 1st Amendment again...

posted on Apr, 7 2017 @ 06:53 AM
link   
a reply to: AboveBoard

And this is precisely why these precedents must never be set.

Simply put, to give any administration the power to remove anonymity from its detractors, is to give the individual no rights, and the state the absolute power that constitutionalists and free thinkers alike KNOW will only result in tyranny.

It cannot ever come to pass, because these things are steps on a path which only has one destination and not one that people want to be visiting any time soon, that is for sure.

posted on Apr, 7 2017 @ 06:57 AM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

Well when the Obama admin tried this under the FBI by asking Apple to build backdoors into their products, Apple fought them tooth and nail until the FBI gave up and just paid a third party vendor to jailbreak the phone they were looking at. If the FBI couldn't even get the courts to force a company to violate its privacy on its computer systems for a legit investigation then this flimsy demand isn't going to go anywhere. It's just funny that it was attempted. I hope some Trump supporters see this as a wake up call though.
edit on 7-4-2017 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 7 2017 @ 08:10 AM
link   
I kind of think that "unmask" is being used in the wrong context, but....
I guess there could be a valid reason for this...
maybe they have a suspicion that one of their employees, because of what they have been heard to say, is doing something illegal, like trying to purchase some of those arms that we sold to the criminals south of the border in order to stage a revolution or something, and they have reason to believe that this twitter account is his... heck I don't know...

then again....
it's the trump administration that has us wondering weather or not gov't agencies are illegally using their powers for political gains, so guess we should treat this with the same kind of scrutiny as they want us to treat their "obama wiretapped trump towers" fiasco!

posted on Apr, 7 2017 @ 08:22 AM
link   
You realize an FBI search warrant would do the same thing?? happens all the time. As they say "Much adieu about nothing"

posted on Apr, 7 2017 @ 09:19 AM
link   

Twitter is suing to have the summons ruled "unlawful and unenforceable" because it clearly violates the First Amendment rights of Twitter/Twitter users who are speaking critically of the government. The ACLU has announced that they are representing the Twitter user. The complaint can be viewed here (PDF).

Good!!! It's about damn time!!!

We've been hearing rumors about this crap happening for too long -- this administration is not the first to use such tactics -- and it needs a big fat spotlight shined upon it all. Maybe we can make it the last one to do so!

I haven't read the whole article yet, so that's all I can say for now. But I'm very happy to see this happening.

posted on Apr, 7 2017 @ 09:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: theantediluvian

Twitter is suing to have the summons ruled "unlawful and unenforceable" because it clearly violates the First Amendment rights of Twitter/Twitter users who are speaking critically of the government.

This part lost me......
Twitter cares about First Amendment rights?

so.... is far-right ideologies allowed now?

edit on 7-4-2017 by imitator because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 7 2017 @ 09:41 AM
link   
Sounds just like things the Obama administration did only they always got full cooperation from social media sites.
There were plenty of death threats against the President on Twitter.
Do you think they deserve to remain anonymous?

posted on Apr, 7 2017 @ 09:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: Asktheanimals
Sounds just like things the Obama administration did only they always got full cooperation from social media sites.
There were plenty of death threats against the President on Twitter.
Do you think they deserve to remain anonymous?

No they didn't. The only comparable time between this and Obama is when the FBI under Obama asked Apple to build a backdoor into their products so the FBI could look at a phone that was under investigation. Apple bulked, said no, and the FBI was forced to jailbreak the phone using a third party vendor.
Justice Department drops lawsuit against Apple as FBI has now unlocked Farook’s iPhone

posted on Apr, 7 2017 @ 09:54 AM
link   
So they are using fake government accounts?

Could it possibly be that they don't want someone pretending to be the government who isn't?

posted on Apr, 7 2017 @ 09:56 AM
link   
a reply to: Martin75

No chance. If that was the case then the government can force Twitter to close the account down. Plus, there is no place within the government where @ALT_USCIS is a us government twitter account.

posted on Apr, 7 2017 @ 11:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: TrueBrit

I fail to see how this is anything other than a political issue.

First of all, the "dissident" account is a politically motivated one, which features rhetoric and posts which are considered to be anti-Trump. Therefore, this can only be a political issue.

"Tell us his name so that we can invent a crime to arrest him for."

That is what is happening here, plain as day.

Its easier to just trace his IP and kill the man instead.

posted on Apr, 7 2017 @ 11:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: LesMisanthrope

originally posted by: underwerks
It does really seem that Trump wants to silence anyone that disagrees with him. I guess that's good if you're a Trump supporter. Horrifying if you're everyone else.

Of course, there is no evidence of that, just more projection. This guy writes mean tweets, therefor a summons from the CPB, the arm of the government tasked with preventing the entry of illegal persons and goods, is going to stifle Twitter dissent—is terrible logic.

False.

Your bias is showing, big time.

Perhaps you should consider actually reading the article before commenting on it? Lol

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join