It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Climate change would swamp Trump’s border wall

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 7 2017 @ 01:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6

originally posted by: Krazysh0t
a reply to: burdman30ott6

Care to back your claims up with any evidence or anything? What makes you so sure that Climate Change is having no effect on the Rio? Couldn't your stuff be true AND my stuff be true at the same time?

15 years of being a registered professional civil engineer and a certified drainage professional is my evidence. I've performed braid plain analysis, calculated flood plain impacts for FEMA, and calculated both the post development runoff increases and mitigation''s needed, so I kinda sorta know just a smidgen more about river morphology and flood characteristics than some jackass liberal climate blogger does.

That still doesn't mean that climate change isn't having an impact.

posted on Apr, 7 2017 @ 01:13 PM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

No.

But it does show that a lot of times bloggers talk out of their rear ends, or try to make the square peg fit in the round hole, all to try and make it look like they are right.

posted on Apr, 7 2017 @ 01:20 PM
link   
a reply to: eriktheawful

Here is an article from Scientific American possibly attributing recent flooding in Texas and OK to Climate Change.

As is often the case when extreme weather hits these days, talk turned to whether climate change played a role.

Brenda Ekwurzel, a senior climate scientist at the science advocacy group the Union of Concerned Scientists, said she believes global warming likely contributed to the extreme conditions. Ekwurzel noted that the combination of a burgeoning El Niño and record-breaking ocean surface temperatures in April likely “revs up the hydrological cycle” in the region.

Ekwurzel added, “When you have a warmer atmosphere, then you have the capability to hold more water vapor. When storms organize, there’s much more water you can wring out of the atmosphere compared to the past.”

In a Facebook post Sunday, high-profile climate researcher Katharine Hayhoe, director of Texas Tech University’s Climate Science Center, stated that “climate change will affect us in the ways we’re already vulnerable to climate and weather today, and Texas is no exception.”

While extreme weather events like droughts and floods occur naturally in Texas, precipitation in the state is becoming more variable, making droughts more potent and increasing the risk of heavy rainfall and flooding, Hayhoe said.

“Science does not say that climate change is CAUSING the extreme rain and drought we’re seeing across the U.S. today, and in recent years,” she said. “Just like steroids make a baseball player stronger, climate change EXACERBATES many of our weather extremes, making many of them, on average, worse than they would have been naturally.”

The article is saying the same things I'm saying. Climate Change is working in tandem with local factors to make the flooding worse.

posted on Apr, 7 2017 @ 01:27 PM
link   

Here's an indepth article from world wildlife organization about it.

posted on Apr, 7 2017 @ 01:29 PM
link   
From the perspective of impact to the construction of a proposed wall....this isn't a problem. For that matter, we would have a new line in the budget for maintenance as well. It isn't going to last forever without maintenance, right? And that will be increasingly expensive.

Whether the wall makes sense or not....no comment here.

posted on Apr, 7 2017 @ 01:31 PM
link   

That still doesn't mean that climate change isn't having an impact.

OK, you go ahead and keep embracing that politically motivated association falacy that exists purely to separate workers from their money in the form of more government taxation to fight a goddamned boogieman... I'll; just stay over here with my friends sanity and science.

posted on Apr, 7 2017 @ 01:38 PM
link   

Not sure why you are saying that. It is sound science if you'd just bother to look at it.

posted on Apr, 7 2017 @ 01:49 PM
link   
As a further exercise in flexing and posturing, I grew up close to the Rio Grande and did my years of undergraduate and graduate study a 5 minute drive from the Rio Grande. All of my educational background courses in water, runoff, water resource management, and water quality engineering had accompanying lab courses which were performed in the basins feeding the Rio Grande and in the river, itself. I don't just know the engineering, I know this specific river.

If you want to talk about how Europeans planting salt cedars and cottonwoods along the river have contributed to it's destruction or if you want to discuss the environmentally idiotic practice of flood and backwash flooding that cycles water from fields straight back into the Rio, pesticide chemicals and all, or how jacked up New Mexico's water rights laws are and how they've allowed industries like mining and big agriculture to draw water from the under river water table at a faster rate than natural recharge, turning the river in little more than a mudhole by the time it reaches El Paso/Juarez, then I'm happy to discuss and will sound like a damn tree hugger... but climate change? Nah, not a part of the equation.

posted on Apr, 7 2017 @ 01:50 PM
link   

Not sure why you are saying that. It is sound science if you'd just bother to look at it.

I have looked at it and no, it isn't "sound science." It's a money grab attempt, always has been.

posted on Apr, 7 2017 @ 01:50 PM
link   

then I'm happy to discuss and will sound like a damn tree hugger... but climate change? Nah, not a part of the equation.

I'm sorry that you have closed your mind to this and won't even look at it.

posted on Apr, 7 2017 @ 01:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6

I have looked at it and no, it isn't "sound science." It's a money grab attempt, always has been.

This tells me that all you have "looked" at are right wing political blogs about it. There is no way you can get the idea of it being a "money grab attempt" if you actually reviewed scientific journals on the matter. If you ACTUALLY reviewed the science, your rebuttal of Climate Change would be a bit more nuanced and address actual science topics. Instead you opted for conservative blanket denial #143289324
edit on 7-4-2017 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 7 2017 @ 02:03 PM
link   

The salt cedar problem....my God how i wish i could strangle whoever came up with that stupid idea. It clogs and drains rivers and creeks all across west texas.

posted on Apr, 7 2017 @ 02:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan

The salt cedar problem....my God how i wish i could strangle whoever came up with that stupid idea. It clogs and drains rivers and creeks all across west texas.

There's no money for AlGore to make in combatting salt cedars, so the general public outside of the RGV is worefully ignorant of it.

posted on Apr, 7 2017 @ 03:00 PM
link   

You can post all the links you want.

Still doesn't change the fact that those of us out here are not seeing all the dire stuff, that other seem to insist are happening.

Climates do change.

I'm not willing to go back to the 18th century though.

posted on Apr, 7 2017 @ 03:04 PM
link   

No one is asking you to go back to the 18th century. I'm asking people to come together and think of solutions so we can address the coming problems brought on by our own negligence.

And the problem with Climate Change is that it is gradual. You won't see the dire things all at once. It's a slow trickle as things steadily get worse. Which IS what is going on. This actually works to our benefit, because we can hopefully get in front of it before the momentum increases too much. But that will never happen if people refuse to even believe it is a real issue just because it appeals to their political ideology to believe so.

posted on Apr, 7 2017 @ 03:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus

I really hope you don't believe this bull crap.

They do which is funny.

Because according to the insane church of climatology flood zones are going to dry up.

So there is NO PROBLEMS with a wall being built.
edit on 7-4-2017 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 7 2017 @ 03:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: yuppa
Screw them in short. If they want the US to change Nuke us dead. remember just because you have "consensus" does not make you right. Isnt that what people who argue over the popular vote say too?

Climate science has more than just consensus going for it. It also has reams of scientific data and analysis backing it up.

Climate has always changed. They went from 'Man made global warming" to Global climate change to sell the lie bettter because the man part was not working out as well.

No they didn't. You made this up.

Oh excuse me i meant AGW Anthropomorphic Global warming. Stop trying to be cute. you know what i was referencing.
Its weird. the atmosphere is made up of 0.8 percent CO2. ANimals and natural processes put out extreme amounts of it more than man does.

Let sbreak down the 97 percent of CLIMATE SCIENTIST agree on global warming. ITS VERY SPECIFIC. CLimate scientist. not all other scientific fields correct?

Out of a estimated 100 million scientist exist on the planet at this time. No way in all of hell have they all been polled and asked. So this is the question how many climatologist are there? Estimates are between 10,000 to 50,000(thats being generous)

So 0.005 percent of TOTAL SCIENTIST believe in AGW we can estimate right?

Far from a consensus. but thats ALL SCIENTIST who arent in consensus.

Apparently climate scientist think they can speak for everyone huh?

Why i stopped believing in man made global warming

Read this. Apparently the models to get the desired result use water vapor in the air but read the article for the breakdown of this tidbit. It may be a OP but all scientific papers are those originally.

posted on Apr, 7 2017 @ 03:31 PM
link   

Its why al gore has made a sequel to his first movie. and because the models were wrong.

posted on Apr, 7 2017 @ 04:18 PM
link   

There is a solution: One - stop being closed minded.

No, seriously listen. Every scientist or "intelligent" person that agrees that man made CC is "settled science" is a moron.

It means: they seriously are not following the Scientific Method.

Climate science has become a church. A religion. A faith. Seriously, it has, with very rabid followers. Anyone that DARES asks questions, acts skeptical, etc, becomes some sort of "outcast".

That's not science. That's not how science works.

Science is for asking question. And when you get some answers, it makes it to where you ask even more questions. If someone doesn't believe you, you show them ALL your data and how you got there. You do not hide behind anything. You do not refuse to show people how you got your computer models (which they have).

You do not belittle people that ask questions or feel that more study needs to be done. You don't do any of this.

And every single "scientist" that has done this, has become a quack and a moron in my book. And it's sad, because I used to think very highly of many of them.

Not so much now.

Science doesn't mean "you now know everything". Science is a tool, and it can be a tool to help people figure things out, find the answers to things, or even to just give us a working theory.

But it should never, ever be used as a weapon to hurt those who still want to ask questions. I've watched that happen here on ATS. Some members who are so very intelligent completely and totally LOOSE THEIR MINDS if you DARE question things.

So yah, people on here pretty much toss our hands up and walk away. Why should I be treated like a heathen non-believer? Because that is EXACTLY what human made CC believers do on here, and out in the real world.

You want answers? You want possible solutions? Then y'all need to get off the high horse. Sorry, but some of you hold yourselves in such high esteem you're starting to get a nose bleed.

Accept that there will be those who think of things differently. Accept that there are those who do not feel that man made CC has been proven, just that CC does exist, but question how much humans are in fact contributing to it. Accept those who are skeptical.......and stop treating them like heretics to some damn religion (the religion of man made CC).

Even if man made CC is true: there are NO simple solutions.

None.

We can not expect the world to simply give up fossil fuels over night. Not without a viable replacement that can go into effect overnight.
We can not power the entire world on wind power, solar power and wave power. It's good that some places can help with it, but none of those things are the answer the the entire world's power needs.

Understand the punishing people and corps is not the answer either. Never has been, never will be. Carbon Credits are a scam. Taxing people for Carbon is a scam. Those things are about making governments money, not saving the world.

If more people here on ATS and out there in the world could understand what I've written above, you really would get much more meaningful convos here and everywhere.

Oh, and one last thing: Politics. It has NO business being in science......just a science should NEVER play politics either.

Science should be just that: science. A hammer doesn't care if someone is right or left. It's just a tool, but it should never be used as a tool to hurt someone.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join