It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Nuclear option' expected after Democrats filibuster Neil Gorsuch Supreme Court nomination

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 6 2017 @ 01:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: knowledgehunter0986
Wait, so this has nothing to do with nuclear warfare

There are probably a few explosions happening in DC.

posted on Apr, 6 2017 @ 01:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: UKTruth

originally posted by: introvert

originally posted by: UKTruth

originally posted by: introvert
Never understood why the Democrats were so strongly against this guy.

His record seems to be pretty damn good.

Confirm him and quit playing games.

They have made a big gamble on winning the majority in 2018 (tall order) OR no more nominations by Trump during his term.
If there is another vacancy before Trump's tenure ends, then expect a far right conservative to fill the spot.

And that is something we should all fear. We've made a lot of progress in regards to individual liberty in this country lately and it would be a shame if our SCOTUS picks took us backwards.

What progress has been made lately?
Your statement sounds as if the US was not a beacon for individual liberty anyway.

Progress on gay rights issues/equal application of the law. Just as one example.

posted on Apr, 6 2017 @ 01:58 PM
link   
The Democrats really miscalculated here. If they had done their jobs and only considered his qualifications, some of them may have voted against the filibuster and to confirm him with 60+ votes. Then if another SCOTUS justice dies or retires while Trump is in office, they could argue well 60 votes was the mark for Gorsuch so why are you changing the rules now? Trump probably would've nominated another moderate.

Now the precedent is set for only 50/1 votes to overcome a filibuster on a SCOTUS nominee. Now if Trump gets another chance to nominate a justice he can nominate someone further right.

That party just continues to implode. They still believe we're all idiots and will believe whatever nonsense they spin out to try to explain this.

posted on Apr, 6 2017 @ 02:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

There's a few explosions in this thread. People that don't seem to understand parliamentary rules or the basic functions of our govt are getting their panties in a twist.

I see why it's called the 'nuclear option' now.

posted on Apr, 6 2017 @ 02:09 PM
link   

I can attest to this. I just left work in DC and had to stop at the gas station and wipe the brain matter off of my car. Heads exploding everywhere.

Can't imagine the mess at the NY Times right now.

posted on Apr, 6 2017 @ 02:14 PM
link   
I doubt that there will be a time within the next century where there will be bipartisan agreement in DC.

Ideologies have become so polarized, that this is just the first shot in what will be a very long and drawn out ideological war.

posted on Apr, 6 2017 @ 02:17 PM
link   

Ideologies have become so polarized, that this is just the first shot in what will be a very long and drawn out ideological war.

I see it ending with the abolishment of the Senate and Yoda (Bannon) fighting Palpatine (Clinton) in the Rotunda.

posted on Apr, 6 2017 @ 02:19 PM
link   
This fight today goes back beyond Obama even, and it was ironically a fight picked by Schumer of all people.

posted on Apr, 6 2017 @ 02:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

I see it ending with the abolishment of the Senate and Yoda (Bannon) fighting Palpatine (Clinton) in the Rotunda.

That's the kind of govt that I can support!

posted on Apr, 6 2017 @ 02:21 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Feel the filibuster coursing through your veins, young jedi.

posted on Apr, 6 2017 @ 02:22 PM
link   

I doubt that there will be a time within the next century where there will be bipartisan agreement in DC.

Will there be a "DC" as we know it the next century? Will humanity even exist? Serious question, when all I see are people who have taken up political ideologies as many in the past have become religious zealots?

To be honest, us commoners FORGET about the D.U.M.B.s that have been built for our corrupt leadership to hide in while the rest of us suffer living and dying due to their greed and thirst for power......

posted on Apr, 6 2017 @ 02:24 PM
link   
I think this is a great time in a way for our domestic problems. I attribute the election of Trump for it, in a good way. Everyone is learning how our democracy and laws work beyond the elections. We are learning the consequences of elections.

posted on Apr, 6 2017 @ 02:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: seeker1963
Will there be a "DC" as we know it the next century?

Of course there will, it will be DC Comics of course. Everyone will be voting for their favorite superheroes like Fascist Man, Professor Fema and the Constitution Shredder.

posted on Apr, 6 2017 @ 02:27 PM
link   

Will there be a "DC" as we know it the next century? Will humanity even exist? Serious question, when all I see are people who have taken up political ideologies as many in the past have become religious zealots?

To be honest, us commoners FORGET about the D.U.M.B.s that have been built for our corrupt leadership to hide in while the rest of us suffer living and dying due to their greed and thirst for power......

Of course, there will, and it will be ruled by President Snow.

posted on Apr, 6 2017 @ 02:29 PM
link   

a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Feel the filibuster coursing through your veins, young jedi.

The Left right now.

posted on Apr, 6 2017 @ 02:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

Will there be a "DC" as we know it the next century?

Of course there will, it will be DC Comics of course. Everyone will be voting for their favorite superheroes like Fascist Man, Professor Fema and the Constitution Shredder.

Those sound like marvel heros to me.
edit on 6-4-2017 by FauxMulder because: I'm Batman

posted on Apr, 6 2017 @ 02:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sillyolme

They won't always hold the majority.

Perhaps not, but it'll be a VERY long time before the Democrats are in power again.

posted on Apr, 6 2017 @ 02:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: face23785
The Democrats really miscalculated here. If they had done their jobs and only considered his qualifications, some of them may have voted against the filibuster and to confirm him with 60+ votes. Then if another SCOTUS justice dies or retires while Trump is in office, they could argue well 60 votes was the mark for Gorsuch so why are you changing the rules now? Trump probably would've nominated another moderate.

Now the precedent is set for only 50/1 votes to overcome a filibuster on a SCOTUS nominee. Now if Trump gets another chance to nominate a justice he can nominate someone further right.

That party just continues to implode. They still believe we're all idiots and will believe whatever nonsense they spin out to try to explain this.

Very true.
It seems they cant get out of their own way.

posted on Apr, 6 2017 @ 02:46 PM
link   
good for once I had very few reservations about the guy... he appears to really get what the job should entail.

posted on Apr, 6 2017 @ 02:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: MOMof3
I think this is a great time in a way for our domestic problems. I attribute the election of Trump for it, in a good way. Everyone is learning how our democracy and laws work beyond the elections. We are learning the consequences of elections.

Some are.
Some are still getting their civics studies from the msm though.

I have noticed that there is an influx of folks actually trying to (re)learn govt functions and rules, and also many folks that I had assumed already understood this stuff showing the complete opposite.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join