It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Movie Theaters Won’t Be Around Much Longer

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 6 2017 @ 06:38 PM
link   
a reply to: 727Sky

Theaters are less about the movie, and more about the experience. A dimly lit room, massive sound system, nice chairs (at least in the theaters around here), and a big screen. Every theater in the US delivers a better viewing experience than even the nicest home system.

I don't see theaters going anywhere any time soon. The only thing that has happened, is that direct to video projects have become much more viable.

posted on Apr, 6 2017 @ 06:39 PM
link   
Which ever direction the entertainment industry moves; The production facilities, writers, actors, crew, marketing, technicians will still be working when robots and automation has left the ordinary working man wondering what happened.

Get your drug of choice and enjoy the movie!!

posted on Apr, 6 2017 @ 06:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t
People said the same things about drive-in theaters.

Drive in theaters are missing several advantages. Most notably, the sound systems suck, and no cars have proper acoustics to make the most of some good speakers (most home theaters miss this too). Next you have the seats, cars aren't built for a proper viewing angle of a drive in screen. Then you have the picture quality, there's an optimal distance for projectors which theaters take advantage of, drive in's and home theaters can't do that.

posted on Apr, 6 2017 @ 07:37 PM
link   
a reply to: interupt42

Netflix is doing it right and still making money. They produce their own content and deliver it straight to the home at a profit.

Im a big fan of some Netflix productions, but there are examples I really wish I could have watched in theaters. Take this movie Spectral as one good example.

As a big fan of sci-fi and action movies, I absolutely loved this movie. A hell of an adventure with what seems a paranormal aspect to it, but the movie falls back on science to explain it, and confront the threat. Honestly I almost thought I was watching a Capcom production for a Resident Evil spin off, especially being based in Moldova. I really would have enjoyed this in theaters though.

This iboy seems good too, have not seen it yet though.

I feel based on my interactions with people, that its the older generation that is getting turned off to the cinema. Because young people still flock there in droves, especially for damn near anything super hero related or throwbacks to established brands like Transformers, Power Rangers, Resident Evil and so on. And we like to go in groups with friends.

posted on Apr, 6 2017 @ 09:12 PM
link   
a reply to: interupt42

Cost is a biggest factor in my frequency of theater trips. It's insanely expensive. I only go when I want that experience of being immersed in the movie (usually only 2 or 3 times a year). And I have 4 kids, I can't take them to see every movie that targets children. So we stream it.... and they get to see every new kids movie that comes out.

posted on Apr, 6 2017 @ 09:15 PM
link   
a reply to: worldstarcountry

Im a big fan of some Netflix productions, but there are examples I really wish I could have watched in theater

I liked that movie, but I much prefer to watch it at home in my home theater any day of the week. I can pause the movie to go the bathroom or more importantly refill my adult beverage. My Television is much better than the quality at the theater and my surround sound is pretty comparable to the theater.

I guess, I don't see the appeal about watching the movie in a large room with a bunch of strangers. I also don't care for popcorn or the other extras at ridiculous prices. I guess the theather experience for me is meh , its not a big draw for me.

However, I understand others enjoy it. I just don't care for it or see the appeal of it. I rather watch it at my house any day of the week.

I feel based on my interactions with people, that its the older generation that is getting turned off to the cinema.

Well that could explain it, I'm in my early dirty forties.

However, I could be wrong but I recall that teenagers were also not big movie fans and rather video game or do social media for entertainment versus movies.

Regardless, I do think VR is really going to shake up the movie experience because it will give you the same experience in a virtual world but with the benefits of being at home as well.

posted on Apr, 6 2017 @ 10:29 PM
link   
Good riddance to theaters...bring back Drive-Ins.....lol...in a word goodbye bedbugs.

posted on Apr, 6 2017 @ 10:46 PM
link   
a reply to: chiefsmom

Maybe the ability to go out, but with projectors, and surround systems, you can have the "big screen" experience in your home.

My brother has one in his house. Cushy recliner chairs, tiered in a pit, with rumble seats, surround sound, and huge screen. The children love it.

It is pretty nice, just not something that would be worth it for me.

He has also has an audiophile room; that is more my cup of tea.

edit on 6-4-2017 by NightSkyeB4Dawn because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 6 2017 @ 10:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: NightSkyeB4Dawn
a reply to: chiefsmom

Maybe the ability to go out, but with projectors, and surround systems, you can have the "big screen" experience in your home.

My brother has one in his house. Cushy recliner chairs, tiered in a pit, with rumble seats, surround sound, and huge screen. The children love it.

It is pretty nice, just not something that would be worth it for me.

He has also has an audiophile room; that is more my cup of tea.

I have a recording studio across 2 rooms in my house. Movies arent a priority but if i had extra cash someday i might put in a big system.

posted on Apr, 6 2017 @ 11:48 PM
link   
a reply to: pirhanna

you know what is disappearing faster than the movie theaters??????? bowling alleys!!! the money per square foot is too expensive to make a profit they are closing like crazy.

here in the usa there are a few theaters that serve dinner to you and a few that cater to families and have a bunch of couches!

an outdoor theater in england is all hot tubs so you and 6 friends can pop for one or you share and make some new friends!!

edit on 6-4-2017 by research100 because: dang spelling

posted on Apr, 7 2017 @ 01:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: interupt42
However, I understand others enjoy it. I just don't care for it or see the appeal of it. I rather watch it at my house any day of the week.

Hear, hear! Same issues. SOME, but very few, movies are likely better on the big screen. Maybe one a year for me. I go to some others because family members want to go. But in general, I find the experience irritating due to people talking, asking stupid questions about the movie loudly, stating what the next scene is, or placing calls to their various sex partners in the seat in front of me. Or surfing on the iPad they dragged in.

Instead, I can kick back and watch it at my leisure, with adult beverage in hand and a clean loo only a few steps away.

You let LG or Samsung get that 90" OLED or QLED TV out at reasonable pricing in the next five years, and the theatre is dead to me.

posted on Apr, 7 2017 @ 02:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: 727Sky

The author says ten to fifteen years max before the movie Armageddon.... another article saying the same thing..

Can I watch a movie with xbox on a 70 foot screen?

posted on Apr, 7 2017 @ 05:05 AM
link   

I can imagine this happening.
In the US we have 'red box' movie rentals on a lot of street corners and it's about a 1.50 for a movie overnight and
just regular cable has movies to buy (around 5 or 6 $). My daughters and I still go to the theater on occasion if a movie comes out that we just can't wait to see (very rare).
A hundred years ago when I lived in Cocoa Beach FL there was a cinema pub that my group frequented. I loved going there. I don't recall them showing new releases often if ever but, it was a good time and the waitresses dressed in 'roaring 20s' type attire and they served typical pub fare with pitchers of beer and I suppose it was the ambience.
Back in those days you could smoke in the building (see? 100 years ago!).
The local theater charges a little more than I am comfortable paying most times. It's around 8.50 for a matinee and even though the drinks are around 5 or 6 $ you get refills (if you want to get up in the middle of the movie) we wind up spending around $50 for a movie. I just can't reasonably justify that in my mind on a regular basis. I can't imagine what families with many children spend and ours has an arcade as well.
I'm surprised that roller rinks have survived, we have one of those also.
edit on 7-4-2017 by TNMockingbird because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 7 2017 @ 07:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: JoshuaCox

I disagree I think theaters definately survive.. they will be worked by automation and almost no employees.

But pirating and VOD cannot replace the huge screen experience , nor provide a neutral date spot.

The reason theaters have lasted to today isn't to because you get to see the flick earlier..

It is the big screen experience and ability to "go out".

I completely agree, except I believe there will be less theatres. Those which survive (or arrive) will likely be absolute cinematic palaces.

This, despite 70+" of SUHD TV costing about $1400 and falling...

posted on Apr, 7 2017 @ 09:03 AM
link   
Meh, they've been saying "theaters are going to die" since the introduction of the VHS. Hasn't happened yet.

posted on Apr, 7 2017 @ 11:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: SpeakerofTruth
Meh, they've been saying "theaters are going to die" since the introduction of the VHS. Hasn't happened yet.

They also said it when TVs became popular in the late 1950s.

posted on Apr, 12 2017 @ 10:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: chiefsmom
a reply to: JoshuaCox

I can see them going away. It will be sad, much like the drive in's. We have a few left, but they are like an hour away from me, so I don't go.

Sure you can have the experience in your home.
If you can afford a decent projector, a decent home theater system for sound, and if you have a big blank wall that is at least at the minimum distance for your projector to project a decent image.

Not everyone can afford a home theater setup, and not everyone's home is set up for it.
Sure more and more wealthy people are adding home theaters to their homes. But they are the minority in society.
I got a friend who set up a home theater in his house when he was doing renovations. He spent $35,000 on the sub-woofer alone. $20,000 on the projector. The entire room has lead lining in the walls including the door and ceiling.
There is specialized fiber optic lighting in the ceiling that make it look like a starry night, or a disco if that's your thing..the lights are very, very bright. Had a custom screen made that basically is the wall. He even has remote controlled curtains that cover the screen. He has custom made home theater couches that feel like you are floating on air.
He spent more on this home theater setup then what the average house costs in most of America.

Is that possible for everyone? Is even a fraction of what he's done possible for the average person? Nope, no way.

Movie theaters will be here to stay for years to come.
The drive in theaters may not be as wide spread, but they still exist here and there.
There's even movie theaters for 'specialized' movie genres, art house type movies.
There will always be a market for this stuff.

posted on Apr, 12 2017 @ 10:11 AM
link   
Local mega theater upgraded to luxury seating only to have most of them slashed in the first month. Closed again.

posted on Apr, 12 2017 @ 10:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: peck420

originally posted by: JoshuaCox
It is the big screen experience and ability to "go out".

I would bet that it is just the "going out" part.

I don't know a single person with a tv that is as bad as what the local theatre provides, in terms of resolution. Nor do I know a person who's surround systems don't exceed the local offerings by a very large margin.

Personally, I get a better experience at home. Granted, I have a dedicated theatre room, as my wife and I are both huge "movie" fans, from when we used to "go out".

Home televisions are not 100/100 feet lol..

How many times have you heard or said " X blockbuster is definately a big screen movie." Referring to seeing the effects and action on the big screen.

posted on Apr, 12 2017 @ 10:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: MuonToGluon
a reply to: JoshuaCox

I have a VR Set, I have the full screen right in front of my eyes with full surround vision and sound dumped directly into my ears and eyes, and with capability of 3D also...it's amazing and oh so much better then the cinema - a place I still go to at least 4 times a year.

Motion sickness is not a problem, as when you own a pair you adjust to the new experience - you may feel some sick effects from it if you use it for the first time and give up when trying it out in full motion, however that is normal and variable on the frame rate being pumped out from the set.

The cinema is not going to go away anytime soon, but recent advents in streaming and tech is taking a big hit to box office sales.

Actually I hadn't considered VR..

It actually does have the potential to replace theaters...

I could see the VR experience beating the "big screen effect" and the ability to go out being replaced by going out in VR...

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join