It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trump Supporter Cancels Asian Woman's Airbnb Stay

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 6 2017 @ 10:12 AM
link   
a reply to: crazyewok

Easy. It's a bad business model that promotes unchecked racism.
edit on 6-4-2017 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 6 2017 @ 10:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

Easy. It's a bad business model

Obviously not because the company has made millions and owner is likely richer than me and you put together.

that promotes unchecked racism.

A business is not responsible for the attitudes of society toward particular races.

posted on Apr, 6 2017 @ 10:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: crazyewok
Obviously not because the company has made millions and owner is likely richer than me and you put together.

That isn't what I meant by "bad".

A business is not responsible for the attitudes of society toward particular races.

So are you going to force me to support Air Bnb then?

posted on Apr, 6 2017 @ 10:39 AM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

It's not a bad business model, it should just be allowed to be more personalized.

In a perfect world, race wouldn't be an issue with providing a service. This isn't a perfect world.

So many facets of humanity face discrimination at the hands of service providers in this day and age. Now, the question is, do you blame the provider or do you blame societal expectation?

I do think that these people should be "put on blast" when they cause hardship for what would be a customer. The caveat is, there would be no need to call them out if they were allowed to be honest by the virtue signaling corporate entities that facilitate these transactions.

Christian bakeries should be given the same right to discrimination as Muslim bakeries in regard to catering queer customers.

Same with the situation in the OP. What I do not agree with, is the last minute cancellation. The Host or property owner should honor what has already been set in motion.

posted on Apr, 6 2017 @ 10:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bobaganoosh
So many facets of humanity face discrimination at the hands of service providers in this day and age. Now, the question is, do you blame the provider or do you blame societal expectation?

I cannot fix society. Therefore blaming society is useless. I CAN, however, blame a business for not taking major underlying problems within society like simmering racism into consideration when developing their business model. It's not like society changed its morals to be racist after AirBnb started or anything. AirBnb is a product of milliennials and the internet; thus it is a new business and therefore should be every bit aware of racial sentiments within the country. So if the business creates opportunities for racism to thrive but does nothing to quell said racism, then I speak with my wallet. Plain and simple.

posted on Apr, 6 2017 @ 11:01 AM
link   

So if the business creates opportunities for racism to thrive but does nothing to quell said racism, then I speak with my wallet. Plain and simple.

So a business has to stifle creativity based on what people "might" do. What happens to personal responsibility?

Only way to take racism is to deal with the underlying problems underpinning it, not stifling any debate on it and repressing any medium that might encourage it. By your logic the internet should be banned because people can express racist sentiment on it....

posted on Apr, 6 2017 @ 11:05 AM
link   

So a business has to stifle creativity based on what people "might" do. What happens to personal responsibility?

Stifle creativity? I'm not following how allowing a racist policy to continue unchecked is being creative.

Only way to take racism is to deal with the underlying problems underpinning it, not stifling any debate on it and repressing any medium that might encourage it.

Who is stifling debate on it? It isn't AirBnb's responsibility to lead the charge in reforming racism. I just expect them to provide a business service that doesn't promote racism.

By your logic the internet should be banned because people can express racist sentiment on it....

The internet isn't a business that I pay money to in return for a service.

posted on Apr, 6 2017 @ 11:09 AM
link   

Would you feel the same way about social media? Is it not new and driven by a younger generation? We can't shut it all down because of a few instances of discrimination. We simply call out the inequality where we see it. Weaponized spending is a great tactic. Social shaming is fun. Still, people's stances should be allowed to be expressed, and these instances of discrimination would be minimized.

The Asian lady would have seen the disclaimer that the host doesn't cater to Asians for whatever reason, and the Asian lady would have made other arrangements, and not have had to deal with a last minute change of plans.

Even as a white dude, I carry a tent and a list of KOA's just for this type of situation. Not that I plan on having my reservation cancelled over racism, but sh!t does inevitably happen over time.

posted on Apr, 6 2017 @ 11:14 AM
link   

Would you feel the same way about social media? Is it not new and driven by a younger generation? We can't shut it all down because of a few instances of discrimination. We simply call out the inequality where we see it. Weaponized spending is a great tactic. Social shaming is fun. Still, people's stances should be allowed to be expressed, and these instances of discrimination would be minimized.

I DO feel the same way about Social Media. I cannot stand Facebook or Twitter. I use Reddit, but only for entertainment subreddits like /mst3k or fun ones like /#tyaskscience. And I barely comment in article comment sections. ATS is literally the only political Social Media outlet I consume, and that is because the moderation here is on point and doesn't put up with racist shenanigans.

The Asian lady would have seen the disclaimer that the host doesn't cater to Asians for whatever reason, and the Asian lady would have made other arrangements, and not have had to deal with a last minute change of plans.

Even as a white dude, I carry a tent and a list of KOA's just for this type of situation. Not that I plan on having my reservation cancelled over racism, but sh!t does inevitably happen over time.

You realize the lady in the video was standing in the snow right? Camping outside was DEFINITELY out of the question.

posted on Apr, 6 2017 @ 11:16 AM
link   

Who is stifling debate on it? It isn't AirBnb's responsibility to lead the charge in reforming racism. I just expect them to provide a business service that doesn't promote racism.

It is a idea that allows people to more affordably travel. To stifle that idea for petty SJW ideology would affect many who innocently use such a service.

The majority use this service in good faith! Would you deny that service because a minority of people discriminate?

And they don’t promote racism or anything. They are not responsible for the views of there customers.

If you you think you can provide a similar service but without the "racism" then why dont you sent up your own SJW friendly version of airBnB?

You pay your internet service providor.

posted on Apr, 6 2017 @ 11:17 AM
link   
There's dozens of jobs I can't get as a white guy. Browse through job listings and you'll see jobs that exclude white males. Now, I guess someone else gets the same feeling and it's suddenly an outrage.

posted on Apr, 6 2017 @ 11:19 AM
link   

What are you talking about? I'm not denying any service. I'm just refusing to give them my money because I don't agree with how their business model proliferates racism.

You pay your internet service providor.

My ISP isn't posting racist comments on Facebook feeds though.

posted on Apr, 6 2017 @ 11:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kryties

originally posted by: Denoli
YAWN

No yawn, actually its an indication of the types of people who supported Trump - and see him as their way of "Making America White Again".

This reminds me of that other stupid story about the guy who refused to deliver propane to customers that voted for Trump...then got busted for not having a valid license to deliver propane.

Am I to believe he was an indication of Hillary's way of making America great again?

God at the hypocrisy of liberals. We should just go ahead and rename California to Libtardia.

So this story is full of idiocy anyways. She says the renter cancelled on her when they were 3 miles away, meaning she sprung her extra friends coming on the renter 3 miles away. Then she goes on to claim the lady says it's because she's Asian and shows screenshots.

So....if this story is to be believed, we have to believe the lady renting to her was fine with her being Asian in the beginning right? Unless this was a production piece for fake news and she BS'd it all, which seems pretty likely to me actually.

posted on Apr, 6 2017 @ 11:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: Vasa Croe
So....if this story is to be believed, we have to believe the lady renting to her was fine with her being Asian in the beginning right? Unless this was a production piece for fake news and she BS'd it all, which seems pretty likely to me actually.

You DO know you can sign up for AirBnb rentals without showing a picture of your face right? In any case, is it so hard to believe that racists would do something like this? Do me a favor and type "Air bnb racism" into google and see what you get.

posted on Apr, 6 2017 @ 11:27 AM
link   

That depends on the gear you carry.

It does suck for the Asian lady. My wife and I would have taken her and her friends in for however long they needed in that situation.

I'm not a heartless dude, but so many problems would be solved by allowing people to be as bigoted as they want. They would end up isolated, lonely, and eventually questioning their beliefs. Not only that, but it would eliminate the blanket labeling of people who aren't bigots because the true bigots would be out in the open.

Maybe my logic is flawed, I don't know. This is just my take on it.

Off topic, kudos on the MST3K subreddit.. is it worth joining for? I don't use Reddit. I love MST3K and rifftrax nonetheless.

posted on Apr, 6 2017 @ 11:33 AM
link   

Stifle creativity? I'm not following how allowing a racist policy to continue unchecked is being creative.

Only way to take racism is to deal with the underlying problems underpinning it, not stifling any debate on it and repressing any medium that might encourage it.

By your logic the internet should be banned because people can express racist sentiment on it....

Quick question. How is airbnb promoting racism exactly?

I can't find any promotional material from them supporting racism anywhere.

And your ISP you do pay money to for a service. I would hazard a guess that plenty more bigots and racists use your ISP than use airbnb. Is your ISP promoting racism by allowing racists the ability to spread their hate farther and wider than 20 years ago?

Anywho...Utopia is calling and it's having a hard time understanding all of the laws and rules and regulations around people being free.....

posted on Apr, 6 2017 @ 11:38 AM
link   

That depends on the gear you carry.

It does suck for the Asian lady. My wife and I would have taken her and her friends in for however long they needed in that situation.

True, but if you are going on vacation with every intention of staying in a house, especially with snow on the ground, it can be expected that you wouldn't have the gear to camp out. You need so much more gear to camp in the snow than when it is warm and green out.

I'm not a heartless dude, but so many problems would be solved by allowing people to be as bigoted as they want. They would end up isolated, lonely, and eventually questioning their beliefs. Not only that, but it would eliminate the blanket labeling of people who aren't bigots because the true bigots would be out in the open.

This is only true if they minded their own business. Yet humans have a tendency to express and at times force their beliefs to others.

Maybe my logic is flawed, I don't know. This is just my take on it.

Well remember I'm only saying that I won't give them my money. I'm not advocating the government shut them down or anything. If others want to support Air Bnb, then that is on them.

Off topic, kudos on the MST3K subreddit.. is it worth joining for? I don't use Reddit. I love MST3K and rifftrax nonetheless.

It's better than the /rifftrax reddit because it gets more traffic, but that may be due to April 14th being next week and the new season dropping then. But if you like quoting old riffs from your favorite episodes then I suggest you join it, because that is what they do a lot of there.

posted on Apr, 6 2017 @ 11:40 AM
link   

Quick question. How is airbnb promoting racism exactly?

Eh. That is more or less poor verbage. They aren't actually promoting racism.

And your ISP you do pay money to for a service. I would hazard a guess that plenty more bigots and racists use your ISP than use airbnb. Is your ISP promoting racism by allowing racists the ability to spread their hate farther and wider than 20 years ago?

I also only have the singular choice of the one ISP. It's not like I can quit and use a different service if I dislike my ISP's service.

Anywho...Utopia is calling and it's having a hard time understanding all of the laws and rules and regulations around people being free.....

I am not advocating the creation of any new laws, rules, or regulations. Thank you very much.

posted on Apr, 6 2017 @ 11:41 AM
link   

You DO know you can sign up for AirBnb rentals without showing a picture of your face right? In any case, is it so hard to believe that racists would do something like this? Do me a favor and type "Air bnb racism" into google and see what you get.

Yes I DO know this. Apparently that is NOT what this lady did, unless she suddenly "unmasked" herself as a part of making a hit piece just to get a story.

And sure...airbnb racism is out there. They are worldwide....some of the countries they are in actively discriminate against all kinds of people and it's perfectly accepted.

First world problems....my airbnb rental owner was racist to me and it hurt my feelings...LOL!

Please spare me...if anyone thinks this story is real, or happened how this lady is "producing" it with cut scenes and super-imposed texts...wow...she sure went to a LOT of trouble.

posted on Apr, 6 2017 @ 11:42 AM
link   
I voted for Trump. My fiancee' is Asian- American. Now I'm confused.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join