It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Damage Control Via Deflection AKA "Passive Regressive" defensive tactics

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 5 2017 @ 10:35 PM
link   
a reply to: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

On ATS, the biggest and baddest terrorist organization is the Vatican, followed closely by the US government. ISIS and other Islamic terrorists can behead infidels and dispose of LGBT's all day long - they (ISIS et al) will simply be compared to the Vatican and US government and Jesus lovers as more badder than the poor misunderstood ISIS's and ilk - we bombed their countries therefore they are entitled to kill us all.

It's called burying your head in the sand with fingers in ears going "la la la la la" all day long.

Jesus is worse, when you mention ISIS, I'll bring up Jesus, when you mention Obama, I'll bring up Orange boy as worse and badder.

Amirite?

posted on Apr, 5 2017 @ 11:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: mOjOm
a reply to: Lab4Us

What does that mean to think in binary in this context???

Why does an Atheist think in binary, or not think in binary and a Christian does??

What does that even mean???

Give an example???

I can help you out here. Thinking in binary is where you have a value system based on generalizations where something is either good or bad. While in reality, there are complex issues determining how two things interact, and it is neither "good" or "bad" but could be a mix of the two.

This is similar to the line of thinking that is as follows: all blacks have a certain trait, all Christians have a certain trait, all Atheists have a certain trait - instead of gauging the individual's credibility.

It is also similar to having expectations of gender roles. Think of it this way, each gender has a series of traits that are either "0" or "1" (0 is off 1 is on). So males might be STRONG (1) while women are not (0), while women are good at COOKING (1) while men are not (0). Etc.

Oh, I almost forgot the most important one, we have two political parties (Republican and Democrat) and they tend to take opposite sides (1 or 0) on each issue. Damage control by deflection is a tactic that can be used on either side, regardless of their viewpoints.
edit on 05pmWed, 05 Apr 2017 23:14:20 -0500kbpmkAmerica/Chicago by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 5 2017 @ 11:09 PM
link   

I guess it would depend on what sin really is.

e.g. If I steal something and then lie and say that I haven't, or if I say that stealing is not sinful, have I committed the same sin twice?

Is stealing considered lying against the spirit? To act against the truth of the Spirit, is to act out a lie?

Is acting unjustly the same as taking something unjustly? Are all sins theft byway of taking and using breath unjustly?

If the wage of sin is death, is sinning an act of murder?

etc.

posted on Apr, 5 2017 @ 11:15 PM
link   
a reply to: darkbake

Ok. I see what you're saying.

Isn't assuming that all people of any group use Binary Thinking also Binary thinking.

For example, if I say Christians are Binary Thinkers. Wouldn't I also be using Binary thinking in saying that since I'm limiting all Christians to being binary thinkers or not binary thinkers???

Because I'd agree that many Christians are Binary Thinkers. Good and Evil. Heaven or Hell. Etc.
But it would be binary thinking to assume that they all think like that.

Or am I off somewhere???

posted on Apr, 5 2017 @ 11:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sublimecraft
It's called burying your head in the sand with fingers in ears going "la la la la la" all day long.

I honestly feel there is a much deeper psychology at work here than that (I would though). Beyond that, sticking ones head in the sand implies a conscious decision and I'm not sure that's the case.

I think there is a lot at play here and threads like this highlight facets of a much bigger thing. I don't believe its a coincidence that in many cases, there is an extensive consistency in perspective among people like you describe.

We are all exposed to it pretty constantly, so its normalized even if you don't "buy" into it. The level of predictability on nearly every facet of outlook and topic of discussion is really something else.

The tin foil hat-ist in me wants to say its all the result of intentional programming. Predictable people are fantastic for control, afterall, especially if you can not only direct what topics they focus on but what they think about those topics. Just give two opposing options on the topic, and bam! you control how the vast majority will approach that topic or any like it (those that are neurologically linked). If you can control how a group thinks about everything from science to religion to humor to bathrooms, all the better.

But, even if that's all true, maybe its an artifact of our communication technology too. Which, would add a rather interesting spin, and "danger," to interacting on the internet.

posted on Apr, 5 2017 @ 11:24 PM
link   
a reply to: Serdgiam

I think you're totally correct. We are being programmed and with targeted programming. That isn't really a secret anymore.

In fact the overt programming is all stuff we willingly participate in and know it's there. Example: Social Media selecting what you see based on what you've previously liked. Or Pandora selecting the next song based on what you told it you like.

That stuff is happening everywhere all the time in various mediums. Also though we now have targeted programming based upon all that same criteria but with the intent of flipping or lets say changing your mind toward something because of those same likes and dislikes. So you have a battle happening for your opinions by different factions. Some reinforcing them and some trying to change them too.

posted on Apr, 5 2017 @ 11:35 PM
link   
a reply to: mOjOm

"Binary Mentality" has been one of my more common themes all these years.

I had a friend make me this 12 years ago for my works then:

Meant to post that on the front page somewhere.

It's a most fascinating albeit damning thing in the human condition.

You see it all around the world, across history:
-Republicans / Democrats
-Christians / Atheists
-Sunni / Shiite
-"Black" / "White" (I hate these terms for our "races", but its a bitch trying to use other terms in effective communications)
"Left Wing" / "Right Wing"
-Rap / Rock
and on and on it goes.

Back then, in my first year of posting as "IIB", a Dr. Drew Westin's political bias brain scan study came out. He proved that republican's and democrat's are quite literally addicted to self-deceiving themselves when seeing their own party candidates contradict themselves. The brains rewards centers go off when they do. And it showed that the reward centers fire (dopamine) when noting the other teams guy contradict himself.

I always had a sort of extra sense in noting hearing partisan types blame everything on the other team, but after that I was never the same. Back then I still entertained the Christian stuff I was raised on, but immediately (the next day) after posting my "TWYS" film, which summarized all the crazy stuff I had fun posting that year, I declared myself agnostic (lost lots of readers in my old blog for that despite my TWYS achievement).

I had already been posting a lot of stuff from my findings of my bizarre studies of binary mentality's across the human experience.

About that time I had already settled on my sort of 'new religion' whereby agnosticism of 'religion proper', I applied it to all the 'partisan' stuff across mass social group ideologies such as left / right politics. Today I call it "Socio-Agnosticism".

Back then I was known for running Bush and the Neocon's thru the meat grinder on a daily basis. Democrat's loved me until just before Obama was elected and I set my sights on him (not because he's black, but because he was the same as Bush in just about every other metric). Today Democrat's want to kill me more than the Neocon's ever did, for staying the same.

I actually hate posting about "Moral Emotional Wedge Issues", and that's all left / right politics has become since Obama (a core reason for my modern disdain for Him). Until last year, about the only time I'd even chime in on such was to criticize "Binary Mentality". Last year after I had avoided left / right melodrama's altogether for 5 years, and saw what society had become from being immersed in basically nothing but Moral Emotional Wedge Issues, I was finally forced to take them head on. And every loves me for it. Yea. LOL

edit on 5-4-2017 by IgnoranceIsntBlisss because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 5 2017 @ 11:48 PM
link   
a reply to: Serdgiam

I think it's because we cannot see Father that we forget to account for the measure itself.

That is, like forgetting to count ourselves when counting a room full of people, we overlook the one doing the measuring because we do not realize that the count or measurement is a reflection of the measure.

E.g. Getting the answer 2 from a calculator is more about what measure you enter into the calculator than the quasi-infinite number and function set within the calculator. (What you measure of the Spirit determines the image. / By measuring the Spirit, Father determines the Word.)
edit on 4/5/2017 by Bleeeeep because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 6 2017 @ 12:26 AM
link   

There is a difference from a private server and private email.

posted on Apr, 6 2017 @ 01:08 AM
link   

I suppose Binary thinking is fairly established within how everyone thinks. You figure we've been viewing the world since our beginning like that. Day, Night, left, Right, Good, Bad. Even though things aren't that simple upon further inspection at least over all it allows us to quickly classify everything into such this or that terms for easy reference. I doubt it's even possible to remove it as a habit for the most part.

Also, depending upon who's frame of reference it is, regardless of how much any of us feel we don't belong to such binary classifications, we will to anyone but ourselves. We only see ourselves as non binary because we're always consciously aware of our more complex nature.

Wow, we are way off topic now though, BTW!!! Not my intention either. I was not using Deflection based on "Passive Regression"!!

posted on Apr, 6 2017 @ 01:12 AM
link   
Some Class A deflection techniques being used by the pundits at MSNBC during an interview with Rand Paul:

posted on Apr, 6 2017 @ 01:34 AM
link   

I always thought you were one of the 'good ones'.

I must admit with my weirdo obsession with the whole thing, despite loathing hypocrisy & blissful ignorance & self/deception above all in terms of commonalities across our species, I do find an odd sort of charm in observing common "Damage Control Via Deflection".

As far as people 'who care about stuff goes', its kind of like 'blood is red'. It's this common thing that sort of unites us. Even I do it sometimes despite having my bizarre interest in it. I try not to make it a constant thing in pointing it out though, I just dont have the time lol, while I already piss everyone off enough as it is. Trying to live as, naturally being, a true agent of counter-binary mentality isn't for those who require grouply approval.

I figure I should spend ore time in honing how to convey this sort of concept, regarding it "unites us", in ways that doesn't piss certain folks off even more than I already put off the bulk of everyone off by merely insisting on the topic itself. But just correcting the craziness is such a chore these days, while I'm seriously offended by what the Democrat platform has become. I'm intensely disappointed in our species that "Antiwar" 'liberals' of a decade ago are now effectively pro-war all in the name of party driven Identity Politics, for example.

Anyways, the biggest way to set me off is to target children with pretty much any adult insanity BS, so when 'Damage Control Via Deflection' on kids topics come into play ALL the "charm" of 'binary is thicker than water' immediately dissipates and I go off the rails and craft new terms such as "Passive Regressive" defensive tactics.

Oh, its late lol.

edit on 6-4-2017 by IgnoranceIsntBlisss because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 6 2017 @ 01:43 AM
link   
a reply to: ColdWisdom

Oh good stuff! Oh man Rand tore them up!!!

It reminds me of when Bill O'Reilly that scumbag cut off Ron Paul all across their interview regarding the War On Terror, when FOX News launched ICBM's all 2008 election to destroy him (the one guy who could have beat Obama).

posted on Apr, 6 2017 @ 06:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: visitedbythem

originally posted by: c2oden

originally posted by: mOjOm

I like your "passive aggressive" example below where you've reversed the order of events to imply that a Trump supporter is catching a Hillary supporter at being hypocritical. Thereby making the Trump supporter seem like the smarter of the two.

Example usage:
A Hillary person starts a thread something along the lines of: Pence had a private email server.
Then a Trump person comes in and says: What about Hillary's servers duh.

Regardless of who's actually smarter, the Trump supporter or Hillary supporter, I'm curious why you felt you had to reverse the order of events. Because it was Hillary's email server that was first exposed then later Pence's server was exposed which shows the obvious Hypocrisy of all the Trump supporters who railed against Hillary and gave a pass to Pence.

That was the actual order of events as we all know. I find it interesting that our of all examples you could have used you chose that one but needed to use it in a way as if to imply Trump supporters as not being total hypocrites in that situation when in fact they were when you keep the timeline of which came first in order.

I'm sure you'll disagree and will have all manner of excuses as to why you think I'm incorrect. But I did find that curious that you would do that within the topic context of talking about deflection.

This is a good example of the type of behavior that this thread is about.

I was going to say the same thing. Classic example. I think he was being serious too.

Classic example of a back-slapping post, completely off topic, and is discussing a poster - not the topic.

Yeah, let's talk about deflection.

.... I think you clowns are actually serious, too?

posted on Apr, 6 2017 @ 07:10 AM
link   
My favorite is trump is a piece of #, but hey man slow down there cause hillary is a piece of # too.

Is that deflection also, or are they both pieces of #.

posted on Apr, 6 2017 @ 07:46 AM
link   

It's a TRAP!

Oops.

You already stepped in it.
edit on b000000302017-04-06T07:47:40-05:0007America/ChicagoThu, 06 Apr 2017 07:47:40 -0500700000017 by butcherguy because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join