It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trump is Not Enriching Himself With Taxpayer Money

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 5 2017 @ 05:30 PM
link   
There have been many threads here talking about how trump is getting rich off tax payers by vacationing to his properties, that's simply (and provably) untrue. You can complain that he's wasting tax payer money on golf trips or on vacations, that's your prerogative. I find it funny that the left wants trump to do more work, yet they vehemently disagree with the work he does. I always viewed Obama on vacation as a good investment in my interests.

But anyway, here's the proof that Trump is not enriching himself on tax payer money.

The only expense he can make money on is hotel amenities or stays.

A stay at mar-a-lago isn't cheap, it can cost up to $5k/night, but that's for the most expensive suites and there aren't very many of those. They have a large number of rooms that cost between $850 and $2500 per night
Mar-a-lago has 128 rooms, not all are rentable so for the sake of easy math we're going to use 100 rooms.

If we go with a standard distribution of room prices, Mar-a-lago can bring in right around $230k/night.

The profit margins on luxury hotels are right around 6-7%

So the profit mar-a-lago can make in a night is $16,100

So if he stays there, two nights, and books out the whole thing with govt money that's $1.5M/yr of profits

"He's getting rich then!" Well, not exactly. Trump doesn't get to keep all of the profits himself. More than a third is going to the tax man, so now we're down to $1M/yr.

Still that $1M/yr doesn't go to Trump. It is part of the trump organization and therefore gets split into dividends for all of their shareholders. Who knows how many there are but it's safe to assume that at least he and his children are shareholders. Barron probably isn't getting any cash right now but his other four kids are. So split 5 ways that million dollars is $200k.

Being that Trump stood to make $400k off his salary, but is donating that to the government, it's insane to say he's profiting off the government.
And don't forget the wild assumptions in this math, going two days a week and never missing a week all year and booking out all of the rooms, which would never be tolerated by members.
edit on 5-4-2017 by Dfairlite because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 5 2017 @ 05:37 PM
link   
Your post is nonsense.

Sorry.

Not.

posted on Apr, 5 2017 @ 05:39 PM
link   
a reply to: MyHappyDogShiner

Care to expand?

link   
Whatever you wanna tell yourself

link   
a reply to: MiloTheMarauder

Maths don't lie.

posted on Apr, 5 2017 @ 05:41 PM
link   
I doubt he pays anything when he goes to Mar a Lago. It's his own house. Didn't that Japanese prime minister stay there for free?

posted on Apr, 5 2017 @ 05:41 PM
link   
a reply to: Dfairlite

Would you?.

You are just making assumptions on estimations with no evidence to back it up.

Pure opinion to support what you believe to be true and little more than that.

I would consider living it up on somebody else's dime self enrichment anyway...

I'm pretty much done now.

Bye.

posted on Apr, 5 2017 @ 05:46 PM
link   
a reply to: MyHappyDogShiner

Estimations are not pure opinion. Sorry. Our entire economy runs on estimations.

I was very generous in my estimations. Hilton only made 6%, I gave him 7%.
He's already missed weeks of going to mar-a-lago, I estimated that he missed zero weeks.
I estimated he books the whole place out, and not at cost, at market value, which is definitely not happening.

I'm sorry that you've been definitively proven wrong and your narrative of evil trump getting rich off taxpayers is in shambles, but that is the reality of the situation.

I would consider it living it up on someone else's dime anyway.

You would?
So if someone told you they'd pay you 50k, but you'd have to give them 100k, you'd consider that living it up on their dime?
edit on 5-4-2017 by Dfairlite because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 5 2017 @ 05:47 PM
link   
a reply to: allsee4eye

I agree, and I've yet to see any reports that he's even charging his entourage.

posted on Apr, 5 2017 @ 06:22 PM
link   
I don't understand why anyone cares one way or the other. When is a politician NOT screwing the American people? This seems like pretty normal politics to me.

posted on Apr, 5 2017 @ 06:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: Dfairlite
There have been many threads here talking about how trump is getting rich off tax payers by vacationing to his properties, that's simply (and provably) untrue. You can complain that he's wasting tax payer money on golf trips or on vacations, that's your prerogative. I find it funny that the left wants trump to do more work, yet they vehemently disagree with the work he does. I always viewed Obama on vacation as a good investment in my interests.

But anyway, here's the proof that Trump is not enriching himself on tax payer money.

The only expense he can make money on is hotel amenities or stays.

A stay at mar-a-lago isn't cheap, it can cost up to $5k/night, but that's for the most expensive suites and there aren't very many of those. They have a large number of rooms that cost between $850 and $2500 per night
Mar-a-lago has 128 rooms, not all are rentable so for the sake of easy math we're going to use 100 rooms.

If we go with a standard distribution of room prices, Mar-a-lago can bring in right around $230k/night.

The profit margins on luxury hotels are right around 6-7%

So the profit mar-a-lago can make in a night is $16,100

So if he stays there, two nights, and books out the whole thing with govt money that's $1.5M/yr of profits

"He's getting rich then!" Well, not exactly. Trump doesn't get to keep all of the profits himself. More than a third is going to the tax man, so now we're down to $1M/yr.

Still that $1M/yr doesn't go to Trump. It is part of the trump organization and therefore gets split into dividends for all of their shareholders. Who knows how many there are but it's safe to assume that at least he and his children are shareholders. Barron probably isn't getting any cash right now but his other four kids are. So split 5 ways that million dollars is $200k.

Being that Trump stood to make $400k off his salary, but is donating that to the government, it's insane to say he's profiting off the government.
And don't forget the wild assumptions in this math, going two days a week and never missing a week all year and booking out all of the rooms, which would never be tolerated by members.

I think the issue is double edged. The one you present can be argued he's spending taxpayer money on his vacations, which all presidents have.

Now if he was afforded his maralago place for free then we'd have people claiming conflict of interests because technically he HAS to pay full price anywhere he stays as government is not allowed to get freebies or discounts.

Damned if you do damned if you don't.

posted on Apr, 5 2017 @ 06:50 PM
link   
a reply to: Vasa Croe

Good points. I didn't think about that.

posted on Apr, 5 2017 @ 07:24 PM
link   
a reply to: Dfairlite

I am a controller for luxury hotels.

If you have a luxury property that isn't pulling a gross margin north of 30%, then the property either is not being run correctly or the market is dead.

The hotel element alone should pull down a 70% gross margin. Restaurant...20%. Catering/banquet....maybe 30%.....all other ameneties would need to break even at minimal to continue being included (spa, golf course, etc) Maybe you eat the operating cost on a pool bar just to provide the amenity. And maybe you will accrue toward your replacement costs (10%, lets say, monthly)

Your 6-7% number is wrong. Who in their right mind would build such an expensive business for such a small return? Weekend occupancies at a destination location during peak season will be 100% (6 months out of the year there). Sense hotels price on a yield management strategy, the higher the OCC goes, the higher the rate goes. The last 10 rooms are always the most expensive rooms....supply and demand.

Im not disagreeing that the government shouldn't be paying....its the right thing to do from my perspective. Its similar to how we handle owner accounts, with bills being paid either through CC, or by being adjusted off and diminishing revenue. One screws over Trump, the other screws over the management company in charge of Mar A Lago. The only other option is Uncle Sam pays it.
edit on 4/5/2017 by bigfatfurrytexan because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 5 2017 @ 10:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: Dfairlite
Trump is Not Enriching Himself With Taxpayer Money

Talk about a fake clickbait headline, Sport!
Oh yes he is! *__-
The sloppy evidence is all over the place, if one's eyes are open.
There have been too many headlines and too much evidence for me to even waste a moment trying to educate someone being willfully ignorant.
If you think that the Trumpkin family is not sucking every dollar from their nepotistic condition that they can get away with, then you are being willfully, woefully, ignorant.

new topics

top topics

join