It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pepsi Apologizes, Pulls Kendall Jenner Protest Ad After Criticism

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 5 2017 @ 03:17 PM
link   
a reply to: Christosterone

I thought Bernice Kings Twitter response from the OP source was pretty good. If I were her I'd have an issue with the ad too. I mean when MLK was protesting they actually had reason to and I'm pretty sure it didn't end up with people jamming in bands along the side of the road and handing the cops a cold soda....

It's a freaking soft drink company....stick to soft drinks...not political arguments as there has never been a single one in the history of mankind that was solved by bringing anyone a pepsi.

posted on Apr, 5 2017 @ 03:26 PM
link   

Does not matter. I won't touch that dhit. With that ad, Pepsi chose to associate with flakes - and there really is no turning back in my books from that. I will not touch that flake juice.

posted on Apr, 5 2017 @ 03:34 PM
link   
a reply to: Vasa Croe

But this is taught and celebrated "Liberalised Resistance"

Symbolic Parades, signs, chants, Hashtag activism, calling senators and writing postcards etc they even work with with the protest marshalls and police as the "Peace Police"

I know many anarchist were "Uninvited" to certain Women's Marches and told we would be 'turned in'

Non-violence protects the states

posted on Apr, 5 2017 @ 03:47 PM
link   
THe complaint: that pepsi was trivializing recent social issues.

The issue I see: once again the squeaky wheels are demanding to be greased, this time by Pepsi.

Pepsi's intended message is all that matters: unity. And this was ignored by protesters in lieu of wanting to be taken more seriously. Do these people not see how the former creates the latter, and how their actions here have only decresed respect they are given? How do you shout down a message of unity?

Few things are sadder then people on the fringe demanding to be taken seriously. Its just so futile.

posted on Apr, 5 2017 @ 03:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: Annee

Tell me what's wrong with it.

I guess nothing, if you are an idiot or a child. If you can't see for yourself I doubt anyone explaining would help. Although you haven't replied since it was explained so maybe you really don't see it. Not to imply anything, because I already know you aren't an idiot or a child.

posted on Apr, 5 2017 @ 03:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: deckdel

Does not matter. I won't touch that dhit. With that ad, Pepsi chose to associate with flakes - and there really is no turning back in my books from that. I will not touch that flake juice.

hell yeah

im only buying it when its on sale from now on

or if i have a coupon

# them

posted on Apr, 5 2017 @ 03:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan
THe complaint: that pepsi was trivializing recent social issues.

Yes!

But, Hey! Let's just trash to trash.

It echoes a real-life incident during a Black Lives Matter protest, where female protester Ieshia Evans tried to approach heavily armed police in riot gear in Louisiana last year. Unlike Jenner, who wins a smile and applause, Evans was arrested and charged by police. No wonder that people have criticised the ‘tone deaf’ ad for exploitation. Jenner’s sugar-coated version of real-life protests just goes to highlight her privilege and the inequality that exists in the world. But that’s not the only problem with the ad. Let’s not forget these other moments… www.telegraph.co.uk...

posted on Apr, 5 2017 @ 04:00 PM
link   

Pretty much makes it to where I'm glad I don't do TV anymore. I watch shows via the internet, commercial free.

Oh, and being diabetic: I don't drink Pepsi or any diet version with all the chemical crap in it.

Long time ago, in a place now far away, companies that produced products made commercials showing how good their products are and why you should buy them.

Looks like now they just want to make some sort of political statement.

posted on Apr, 5 2017 @ 04:04 PM
link   
There's nothing wrong with it.

Sure, they could have turned it into a 30 second ad and dropped specific social issues shown here all-together. But overall most people are just exaggerating or overseeing everything.

To the guy that said that this oversimplifies the issue(s)... this is an ad, not a documentary.

My interpretation of the ad is that even if we are facing against eachother (having 2 sides opposing eachother), both sides are still human and still have the ability to share love and kindness. That we should also look past our differences and not divide ourselves or keep from eachother because of our differences.

posted on Apr, 5 2017 @ 04:12 PM
link   
a reply to: Annee

I would expect you to be outraged considering it make the entire protest trend seem completely ridiculous.

Random minorities with angry white peolle following a random protest and the only way to solve it is with a pepsi

Maybe it's a start of protests having endorsements by Pepsi and domino's pizza

posted on Apr, 5 2017 @ 04:13 PM
link   

When i see terms liked "highlights her privilege" it makes me want to punch something.

Is the issue with privilege that someone has it? That they are oblivious of it? That they flaunt it? All/any of the above?

The whole thing comes across as trying to socially institutionalize sympathy and allowances for people who are experiencing bouts of jealousy or envy.

Michael Jordan spent his entire career displaying athletic privilege that I think is insensitive to gravitationally challenged people like me. It reminds me that we can't jump, and after that movie was released I was harassed mercilessly about being white and not being able to jump. Everytime I see an Air Jordan symbol I have a panic attack remembering the trauma. Ok. Not really.

posted on Apr, 5 2017 @ 04:17 PM
link   
Because nothing says " I stick it to the white man" like guzzling lab made sugar water 12oz at a time.

posted on Apr, 5 2017 @ 04:20 PM
link   

Pepsi is trying to commercialize this:

en.wikipedia.org...(photograph)

A Pepsi and a carefully selected group of actors walking down a closed set city street isn't going to produce unity, no matter how much money Pepsi is hoping to make off their efforts to make people believe it will.

posted on Apr, 5 2017 @ 04:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: JDmOKI

I would expect you to be outraged considering it make the entire protest trend seem completely ridiculous.

Random minorities with angry white peolle following a random protest and the only way to solve it is with a pepsi

Maybe it's a start of protests having endorsements by Pepsi and domino's pizza

If you read, you'll see I haven't commented one way or the other.

Except to ask the OP what was wrong with it.

Was it just jumped on to trash for the sake of trashing?

posted on Apr, 5 2017 @ 04:30 PM
link   

I assumed you of all posters would know

posted on Apr, 5 2017 @ 05:14 PM
link   
Who is Kendall Jenner?

posted on Apr, 5 2017 @ 05:26 PM
link   

You mean because first I read up on it - - on several different sites and from several different perspectives? Yes, I did.

Because its a Jenner/Kardashian? No interest. Never seen the show.

Was just curious if the OP actually knew what the issue was/is.

posted on Apr, 5 2017 @ 05:54 PM
link   

You mean because first I read up on it - - on several different sites and from several different perspectives? Yes, I did.

Because its a Jenner/Kardashian? No interest. Never seen the show.

Was just curious if the OP actually knew what the issue was/is.

So "I know, but I want you to say it first"?

It sounds like:

"The person I usually argue with is against it, so I am probably for it".

posted on Apr, 5 2017 @ 06:42 PM
link   

Tell me what's wrong with it.

This commercial, albeit using actors, exposes "protesters", as willing to protest, without thinking, for anything (for greenpeace, baby seals, guppies, rubber ducks, pepsi, etc) just to be with the "in" crowd -virtue signalling.

Many are students from $50000/year+ colleges, paid for by Daddy, seemingly don't see their hypocrisy in, for example, protesting against poverty, but mostly doing nothing else.

They hate being exposed for what they are....

edit on 5-4-2017 by M5xaz because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 5 2017 @ 06:55 PM
link   
I don't give 2 flying f#s about the commercial's imagery, but I do like the song. A lot. Anyone know who's song that is? I'm not all that up to date with music, kind of stopped paying attention past the mid-to-late 90's.

Congrats, OP. Your snowflake whining tuned me on to a new tune. Backfired on ya, didn't it?

new topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join