It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS Lurkers Just Join Already

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 5 2017 @ 09:10 AM
link   
I noticed this today:

That's anywhere from 9-13 guests for every member logged in.

Just wanted to say to all you lurkers out there, don't be afraid, hit that Join button.

We would love to have you. You can get to know some members here or you could try out your mud slinging skills.

Don't like politics? That's OK, come tell us about your alien experiences. Looking for some comradery? Go check out The Shed where you'll be greeted with pixie dust and open arms.

Show us your Big Foot footage

Tell us your wackiest conspiracy theories

Besides, if you never join, you wont be able to make 500 post and gain access to Really Above Top Secret, where we disclose all the worlds deepest darkest secrets. You'd have to see it to believe it. The secret of life is in there.

Most people lurked for a while before taking the plunge, but wait no more.

posted on Apr, 5 2017 @ 09:13 AM
link   
That's just the alphabet boys doing a little snooping.

They don't have any good stories and the haircuts....

posted on Apr, 5 2017 @ 09:18 AM
link   
a reply to: In4ormant

If we could just convert them, I'm sure they'd have some good stories for us.

posted on Apr, 5 2017 @ 09:18 AM
link   
a reply to: FauxMulder

Maybe having to log through facebook,google etc.. Is turning people off. I wouldnt

posted on Apr, 5 2017 @ 09:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: In4ormant
That's just the alphabet boys doing a little snooping.

They don't have any good stories and the haircuts....

Like hiking in the woods. You just know theres all these bears, wolves and critters staring at you from hiding but you never see them...

Lions and tigers and bears, oh my!

edit on 5-4-2017 by intrptr because: bb code

posted on Apr, 5 2017 @ 09:36 AM
link   

Wow that is a lot of Russian bots

posted on Apr, 5 2017 @ 09:37 AM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

Exactly

posted on Apr, 5 2017 @ 10:08 AM
link   

I did! It only took about about decade but I did it! And the only reason I did at this point is I had to set up a Gmail account for work lol

posted on Apr, 5 2017 @ 02:09 PM
link   

Wow that's an insane amount of lurkers!? I thought maybe 3-4?

Don't join! The ATS mothership only has bunks for 300 people. Go away, we're full! You'll die with the other ignorants and that's a good thing, you wouldn't like it where we're going if this planet blows up anyways!

posted on Apr, 5 2017 @ 02:18 PM
link   
Let em lurk. Ever been around here when school lets out for the summer.

posted on Apr, 5 2017 @ 03:33 PM
link   
We need recruiters now?

Come on man, the ad revenue is more than adequate when one factors in how one sided this place is becoming.

It used to be a community of sorts ( which is one of the reasons I quit lurking and joined) however it's becoming very obvious what direction this place is headed.

People aren't contributing much other than political opinion hit pieces/ there's become a cool kids social club that dictates the weekly narrative / is blatantly apparent post visibility has become a concern for management's sales/ lots of trolls from God knows where concerning facebook/twitter sharing .

I don't want to be completely negative, it's just my observations of late.

We do need "fresh blood" so to speak, however it shouldn't be a willy nilly free for all just to improve ad revenue and analytics.

How about options to improve the site?
Maybe the ability to hide your stars and flags? Might be nice if newbies and non-members couldn't play social status games.
How about the ability to remove posts or your entire account if you'd so choose too?

Just throwing sh#t out there people, so please don't go full hyperbolic on me.

edit on 452017 by Natas0114 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 6 2017 @ 04:54 AM
link   
a reply to: Natas0114

Hey, stop scaring the recruits away!

Just kidding man. I was just kinda sarcastically pointing out how many lurkers we have. I never noticed how much we were outnumbered. Not that it really matters.

I think it's still a great community even with all the politics. I love how I can have a pretty heated debate with people in the political forums and then have a good, meaningful conversation with the very same members in other forums. I just don't like it when the politics bleeds over into other topics. People just have to be able to leave their politics at the political door so to speak. I also think a lot of the alternative topics have been beat to death. Maybe that's why that content has slowed down?

posted on Apr, 6 2017 @ 05:34 AM
link   
a reply to: Natas0114

When I signed up, ATS was all about FEMA death camps and piles of coffins. There were excellent threads about NASA missions and plenty of mystery history topics. Members weren't interested in bringing politics to ATS or BTS.

Times have changed and members aren't interested in FEMA trains anymore. They want to talk about politics and give each other a good kicking. The fear of FEMA depopulating the West has been replaced by fears of Muslims taking over.

The point I'm trying to make is popular topics are dictated by members. Staff can't compel anyone to stop posting about politics. I'm bored to death with politics so it's on me, you and others to post stuff that's non-political.

How about options to improve the site?
Maybe the ability to hide your stars and flags? Might be nice if newbies and non-members couldn't play social status games.
How about the ability to remove posts or your entire account if you'd so choose too?

Removing our posts and/or accounts is something that crops up once a month or more. A member has a bad interaction and fires off a PM with the legendary, "Delete my account!" The main reason we don't is because of respect for other members and the overall coherence of the boards. For example, let's say I finally flip my lid over a bad run of Trump-related threads - yes he is/no he isn't/yes he is/no he isn't.

If I start off deleting my posts, there'd be a couple of hundred headless threads. That's no good for anyone who posted in them. There'd be gaps in other threads by removed posts too and so we don't delete accounts or remove posts.*

Reasonable members accept the reasons; others go for the 'death my mod' route. I had a member PM a solid wall of 100+ c-bombs followed by a polite sentence saying (IIRC), "Sorry mate, you're OK I need my account banned." Another posted a few penis close-ups on the boards and got the ban lol. Only he knows why he picked male genitals

I don't know about a 'cool kids social club' beyond the fact we've always had members who are more prominent than others. Nobody can elect themselves to popularity; it's something given by others. Most of the names have changed since 2008, but many have come and gone since. Some remain and God bless 'em

* we've removed posts under rare, extenuating circumstances like TMI. We default to helpful.
edit on 4.6.2017 by Kandinsky because: forgot my asterisk caveat!!

posted on Apr, 6 2017 @ 06:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kandinsky
I had a member PM a solid wall of 100+ c-bombs followed by a polite sentence saying (IIRC), "Sorry mate, you're OK I need my account banned." Another posted a few penis close-ups on the boards and got the ban lol. Only he knows why he picked male genitals

That small peek behind the curtain satisfied my voyeuristic tendencies.

One thing though, those weren't close ups, they were taken with a Minolta Maxxum AF 7-210MM F/4 Telephoto. Just sayin.

posted on Apr, 6 2017 @ 06:15 AM
link   
a reply to: Peeple

Don't listen to Peeple
The Tardis is bigger on the inside than the outside, plenty of room
edit on 6-4-2017 by TheConstruKctionofLight because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 6 2017 @ 06:16 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Nature blessed you with both a deep tan and generous dimensions

posted on Apr, 6 2017 @ 06:17 AM
link   
a reply to: Kandinsky

*APPLAUSE!*

posted on Apr, 6 2017 @ 06:19 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

hahaha......

posted on Apr, 6 2017 @ 05:12 PM
link   
Just to be clear- I'm not trying to bust your stones, I really enjoy your posts, and hemmed and hawed over posting what I did because I didn't want to come off as personally attacking you.

And yes I'm as guilty as anyone else for participating in the mudpit-even though it does get plenty heated, it's probably good for venting.

I've just noticed a trend I don't much care for, and I'll not expound on it much except to say we have a sudden influx of new members that appear to have bot-like responses to only political threads.

I initially came here because of the paranormal and ufo threads, and the plain old abundance of outside the box thinking .
That being said I feel we are losing our identity as a conspiracy / alternative viewpoint site, and I really don't want that to happen.

Maybe it's just me, I've been in a rut lately. Anyway, I mostly just wanted to reaffirm that you knew I wasn't trying to crap on your thread, because I truly enjoy your posts.

posted on Apr, 6 2017 @ 05:19 PM
link   
a reply to: Kandinsky

My point was we seem to have people of a certain status that chime in as an absolute last word on a topic. Sometimes it's obnoxious as hell when a thread is going along and suddenly xxxxxx chimes in with a superiority complex and completely dumps on someone without even attempting to enlighten the others with a semi-polite display of intellect. There is an abundance of intelligence here and sometimes a little bit of understanding or empathy would go a lot further in pushing the narrative in a positive direction.

Just my opinion, no disrespect intended.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join