It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ACA is Imploding - Places Where NO ObamaCare Plans Will Be Available for 2018.

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 5 2017 @ 09:38 AM
link   
Let's actually think about what it means when insurance companies say they're taking losses. It means that people are actually receiving healthcare. If the goal of the ACA was to increase the number of people actually able to receive healthcare then it seems like this shows that the ACA is succeeding at what it meant to do. It is the healthcare system that is failing.

I mean, think about it. The insurance companies are losing money because they're providing the service their paid to do. What other industry can say they they lose money for doing their job?

posted on Apr, 5 2017 @ 09:42 AM
link   
a reply to: Xcalibur254

more than likely because it's a scam...

without insurance and government backing the medical services industry would have to adapt to the free market by providing goods and services at reaspnable prices..

also...

millions of younger people can't afford Obamacare and are in perfect health so they opt out until they need it.. with the preexisting health reservations they can do this meaning only a small portion of people that are healthly are actually contributing to the system while the majority of the people on Obamacare are actually the ones who need it driving up cost while minimizing the amount of money coming in

it was going to fail from day one

posted on Apr, 5 2017 @ 09:58 AM
link   

What you omit in that view is the competition factor. If you like the newly authorized insurance program, you can buy it. It not, don't. You can shop. Just like you do for a car or car insurance. Catastrophic coverage only with a monthly premium to a GP? Fine. Choice is regained. Pricing will be reasonable or no one will buy it.

All that whether the ACA is cancelled or not. P.S. those that cannot afford health care can stay on the existing ACA version. Likely through Medicare so both bases are covered.

posted on Apr, 5 2017 @ 10:16 AM
link   
Let's just hold Cheet McTweeto to his statement that everyone would have great medical coverage paid for by the gubmint.

Yeah, he said that to somebody in an interview during the campaign.

You can find it if you just look,...

posted on Apr, 5 2017 @ 10:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22
This is all because the government is trying to make heath insurance affordable instead of making healthcare affordable.

The aca was a lousy bloated bill that nobody had time to read or understand.

exactly. THIS is what Obama should have been dealing with, not an insurance ponzi scheme. the fact of the matter is the whole medical industry is one giant money making racket.

you have the pharmaceutical industry charging far more for medication than it costs to produce. heck there are even companies out there that have bought patented medications, and just jacked up the cost of them nothing else. and this is legal? it really shows when you buy medication in other countries. people in the US want to buy medicine from Canada, because it's cheaper. how can that be if they were charging a fair price? and yet my father spends less on his medication in total in another country than even the dispensing fee in Canada, forget about the cost of the medication it's self. the exact same medication, including the brand. again how can the same medicine be so much cheaper just because it is bought in a different country? the answer is that they are fleecing people, because it is affordable (and mainly due to insurance many people have that pays for it).

and the problem doesn't stop with medication, but is a part of each piece of the medical industry. a medical tool costs far more than a similar "non-medical tool" would cost. medical supplies, cost far more than it costs to produce. how much do they charge for example for a fiberglass cast for the supplies? yet what difference is there between the supplies for that cast, and the fiberglass supplies that you get at a car parts shop for under $40? the same for medical equipment, yet again charging far more than it costs to produce. then you have medical services how can you have a difference in cost having an MRI done? just in the US an MRI can cost anywhere from $400-$3,500, for the same test, does that make sense? then you also have hospitals and doctors charging a fortune on top of that. in a large part these inflated prices are due to the fact many people have insurance (and that includes socialized medical systems), which means they can "afford it". which of course is business principles, "charge what the market will bear", and "supply and demand".

the real answer is not socialized medicine. all socialized medical is, is a form of insurance. it does not help or stop the problem, it just adds to it. all it means is that it gets paid for by tax money, instead of from an insurance company or out of your pocket. it does not keep the cost down, it allows it to go higher and higher. just last week a friend posted a story on how the UK was needing to make cuts to their socialized medicine, because there is not enough tax money for it. recently the federal government in Canada, did not give the Provinces all the money they needed to pay for their socialized medical plans. this either means they need to cut back on services, or increase the debt to pay for it. early in the 2000's Ontario cut back on covered medical services because they could not afford them anymore, among those cuts were things like not covering chiropractic care, or physical therapy for people. seriously people in Canada already needed private medical insurance since things like eye care (like glasses), dental, and medication were never covered. yeah in Canada the place everyone went on about during the ACA debate, you have always needed to buy your own "health insurance", or get it at work (unless of course you are on welfare, which has it provided free).

what the real answer to the problem is (and socialized medical has the same problem in most countries), is to force the entire medical industry to charge fair prices for everything. good luck with that. of course the easiest way to do this would be for the government to either declare the entire medical industry non-profit. thus ensuring that things needed at every step of the medical industry is priced at what it actually costs to produce and do. or to socialize the entire medical industry. ie not just paying for medical costs, but being in charge of those costs as well. and that would also need to include insurance for medical care, if there is not socialized medical coverage.

posted on Apr, 5 2017 @ 10:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: Phage
Heaven forbid that the admin might choose to drop "repeal and replace" and work on fixing the damn thing. Because it can be fixed.

Oh wait, that would mean admitting that both the congressional majority and the administration have no idea what they're doing.

Never mind.

It can never be fixed because hospitals and doctors charge a freaking fortune. The only way to fix it is to either stop all entitlements and regulations so it can collapse or for the government to step in and enforce fair price controls.

posted on Apr, 5 2017 @ 11:24 AM
link   
Let's not overlook the fact that the people saying we should "fix" Obamacare are the same ones that fed everyone a pack of lies to get it passed in the first place. Either they were too stupid to realize at the beginning that Obamacare was destined for failure, or they just didn't care and decided to lie to people to get it passed anyway. The fact that they wanted to pass it before anyone could examine it closely leads me to suspect the latter.

Either way, these are not people who can be trusted.

posted on Apr, 5 2017 @ 11:31 AM
link   
a reply to: carewemust

Hey, I have Anthem Blue Cross.

God damnit. Why don't liberals care about my health? I thought liberals cared about coverage for everyone? Maybe because I'm white it's ok to take coverage away from me because I'm suuuuuuuper privileged.

But in all honesty, I pay massive premiums but don't feel I have insurance in the first place as I have to pay thousands before coverage even kicks in. So unless I climb on my roof and do a back flip off it onto my driveway and break both legs, everything comes out of my pocket.

But the liberals don't care about me, a white American citizen, it's the illegals jumping the border who deserve the health coverage.

posted on Apr, 5 2017 @ 11:37 AM
link   

Bingo..you win the prize

posted on Apr, 5 2017 @ 11:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: Wardaddy454

Heaven forbid that the admin might choose to drop "repeal and replace" and work on fixing the damn thing. Because it can be fixed.

Oh wait, that would mean admitting that both the congressional majority and the administration have no idea what they're doing.

Never mind.

It was never intended to work. They spent 17 months on this thing and its garbage. It was designed to fail, just in time for Hillary's presidency, and usher in a single payer system.

This.

posted on Apr, 5 2017 @ 11:55 AM
link   
For the record, Pinal County in Arizona very nearly became the first county in the US to have zero Obamacare plans available. Aetna dropped them starting in 2017, but officials managed to convince Blue Cross to throw them a bone and offer a plan there.

posted on Apr, 5 2017 @ 11:58 AM
link   
If you people could get past the partisan bull# and realize the government does what business wants, you could maybe agree on an action to improve the situation.

Your government does not look out for your best interests, that's your job.

posted on Apr, 5 2017 @ 01:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xcalibur254
I mean, think about it. The insurance companies are losing money because they're providing the service their paid to do. What other industry can say they they lose money for doing their job?

That's a pretty poor analysis of the situation. It's not that they're losing money (and going bankrupt or out of business, in MANY instances) because they're paying for healthcare claims, it's that the cost of high-cost, high-risk patients coupled with high-cost administration over the past few years have caused them to hemorrhage cash as if they've had both their femoral and carotid arteries severed at the same time (all of this while increasing the average premiums quite massively and quickly...much more quickly than before the "Affordable" Care Act was signed into law).

Companies--and these are companies, not charities--cannot survive that way, nor can any other business in the world, nor can the average individual continue to pay for the premiums under these conditions. And when these health-insurance companies collapse because of the piss-poor legislation forcing their hand to participate in a terrible business model, you get what we're seeing in the OP.

You have not assessed the problem correctly in the least, and you seem to be letting an ideological appreciation of the PPACA model cloud your judgment on the situation.

The Trump model MUST benefit these companies in some way or else we will no longer have these companies, no longer have choice, and be down to a single-payer system--and, like I've already said, I think that was the plan all along. But that's not the purpose for which the federal government exists, and direct f**king up of an entire industry on purpose is criminal behavior in my opinion...and if it's not, it should be.

Repeal the monstrosity that is the PPACA and go back to the way things were, but just expand Medicare and Medicaid enough to help more people--leave those of use in the middle class who liked the way things were before the PPACA the hell alone and stop telling us that we MUST purchase something.
edit on 5-4-2017 by SlapMonkey because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 5 2017 @ 03:09 PM
link   
This is crazy... For the first time ever, more than 50% of Americans FAVOR Obamacare.

www.businessinsider.com...

What's even CRAZIER, is that only 8% of Americans HAVE OBAMACARE.. DUHHH!

posted on Apr, 5 2017 @ 03:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: AndyFromMichigan
For the record, Pinal County in Arizona very nearly became the first county in the US to have zero Obamacare plans available. Aetna dropped them starting in 2017, but officials managed to convince Blue Cross to throw them a bone and offer a plan there.

I remember my Arizona friend telling this last year. She's an independent business owner near Phoenix, and was scared to death that she's have to go this year without health insurance.

It's a deep secret what Arizona used to incentivize (bribe) Blue Cross to fill in the AETNA gap for this year. Next year will make that Pinal County "scare" seem small, as the there will be millions of insureds with no coverage available.

posted on Apr, 5 2017 @ 03:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust
This is crazy... For the first time ever, more than 50% of Americans FAVOR Obamacare.

www.businessinsider.com...

What's even CRAZIER, is that only 8% of Americans HAVE OBAMACARE.. DUHHH!

The only people whom have it are the ones whom are getting it for very little where as everyone else got the shaft.

posted on Apr, 5 2017 @ 03:20 PM
link   

What's even CRAZIER, is that only 8% of Americans HAVE OBAMACARE

You know that health care plans offered by employers have to follow ACA provisions, right?
healthaffairs.org...

posted on Apr, 5 2017 @ 04:46 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

hate to break the bad news but almost everyone whos single with no kids whos below 50k a year opts out due to the ever increasing cost choosing to pay the penalty so others can have it for free...

posted on Apr, 5 2017 @ 05:48 PM
link   

a reply to: Wardaddy454

Lol, I mean in a context other than playing up to the crowd.

But this does confirm my suspicions that you have no sense of humor.

posted on Apr, 5 2017 @ 05:48 PM
link   

What's even CRAZIER, is that only 8% of Americans HAVE OBAMACARE

You know that health care plans offered by employers have to follow ACA provisions, right?
healthaffairs.org...

No they don't, not when they change everyone over to part-time.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join