It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cassini's Grand Finale - NASA Mission Ends Sept 2017

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 6 2017 @ 12:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: wildespace

I worry, though, that the space between the rings and Saturn might not be completely free of icy particles, and that Cassini might experience a collision.

If its anything like flying between rings in Elite Dangerous then you can kiss cassini goodbye.

In all seriousness, is does seem risky...but if they pull out off...the images!

posted on Apr, 6 2017 @ 12:43 PM
link   
a reply to: Jungian

Handsdown the most successful NASA probe mission ever - bar none.

Cassini will be sorely missed. I'm hoping the NASA engineers and designers are smart enough to learn from this mission and design future probes and missions accordingly.

Way to knock the cover off the ball, Cassini!!

posted on Apr, 6 2017 @ 12:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: 3danimator2014
a reply to: Jungian

The cassini mission is in my opinion one of NASA's most awe inspiring triumphs. On par with Voyager IMO.

the wealth of new discoveries and knowledge it has given us is staggering...as well as some of the most beautiful pictures of our solar system ever taken.

I have raved in threads on ATS many times before and I will continue to do so.

I'm hoping to make a huge Cassini thread before its final plummet, showcasing the amazing things its discovered.

Wonderful craft. Wonderful mission.

posted on Apr, 14 2017 @ 03:22 AM
link   
Already some amazing (and, as far as I know, unprecedented) closeup shots of Saturn's clouds:

These are uncannily similar to the CGI views of Saturn from that recent video about Cassini's final mission:

Saturn has always looked very smooth and almost featureless in all previous images, save for a large storm here and there. I remember someone commenting somewhere that closeup shots will reveal a richly-detailed and swirly atmosphere, and that person was proven right!

I am now watching the raw images archive on a daily basis for any new gems like that.

P.S. I have a feeling that these shots are of Saturn's polar region, where such swirly clouds can typically be found (like we've seen from JunoCam at Jupiter), and the bluish hues in this quick RGB (approximately true-colour) image I just made support this.

I'm sure we'll get more information about these images (and some masterful processing) at the Unmanned Spaceflight forum.
edit on 14-4-2017 by wildespace because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join