It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Congress Says, Let the Mentally Ill Buy Guns

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 4 2017 @ 08:32 PM
link   
The Obama administration passed a law requiring Social Security to report people on disability with mental illness' during background checks for purchasing guns.

The Republicans and Trump repealed the law today.

www.nytimes.com...

I can understand how some people shouldn't own guns. But as someone who was on this list of not being able to purchase a gun I'm a bit angry my 2nd amendment rights were revoked with no due process.

I hunt and I live in a dangerous neighborhood. I need my 2nd amendment right for protection and putting food on my table. I have a severe mental illness. I might be crazy but I'm not stupid. The last place I would want to end up is in jail with a mental illness. I have schizophrenia and I've been around guns my entire life. I would never think about hurting another person. I can't say the same for the rest of the people in Detroit without a mental illness. I'd be more worried about the guy with an IQ of 80 robbing people. There's no shortage of them around here.

Here is a article that talks about violence and schizophrenia.

schizophrenia.com...
edit on 4-4-2017 by wantsome because: (no reason given)

edit on 4-4-2017 by wantsome because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 4 2017 @ 08:38 PM
link   
a reply to: wantsome

From your article:

President Trump, who championed the National Rifle Association agenda as a candidate, is expected to sign the regressive measure.

Let me know when it is signed, and I will resume my outrage.

Otherwise, this isn't on Trump until he signs it.

posted on Apr, 4 2017 @ 08:41 PM
link   

Is this a hoax? I mean no disrespect to you if it is not, but I don't think it should be legal for anyone with schizophrenia to own a firearm. If you have hallucinations and a gun to "protect yourself", might not there be a chance that you would act to protect yourself form an hallucination?

posted on Apr, 4 2017 @ 08:44 PM
link   
Depends on the "mental illness"... thats a pretty broad term. Im good with "the mentally ill" being armed... depending on diagnosis.

What Id REALLY like to see is felons.. with non violent felonies... able to own firearms. You shouldnt be able to take away a mans right to feed his family for a youthful indiscretion.

posted on Apr, 4 2017 @ 08:44 PM
link   
The mentally ill are not allowed to own guns.
this law would force doctors to rat out their patients to the govt

posted on Apr, 4 2017 @ 08:48 PM
link   
a reply to: Advantage

Maybe people with specific mental illness like Toby said Schizophrenia shouldn't own a firearm?

While I believe most people can own firearms there are some like violent felons and Schizophrenics that aren't competent enough to own firearms and will do more harm to the public.

edit on 4/4/2017 by starwarsisreal because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 4 2017 @ 08:49 PM
link   
Did ya read my whole post?? LOL!

posted on Apr, 4 2017 @ 08:51 PM
link   
I don't think this bill will get much support. Wait until some Republican's kids or wife get gunned down by a loony; And America is the land of loony imo.

This is just more pandering by the GOP.....
edit on 4-4-2017 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 4 2017 @ 08:51 PM
link   

Yes, but you say broad term.

I believe if they gave out a list of specific mental illness it might work a bit more effectively.

posted on Apr, 4 2017 @ 08:52 PM
link   

You gotta be armed in ABQ. I'm headed there this weekend, and after 6 people were shot at a motel in Lubbock over the weekend, you know I gotta pack accordingly.

The whole mental illness thing was just the leftist strategy that worked for the moment. It's good that it is getting reversed. Every once in a while, we get an inch back of the miles taken.

posted on Apr, 4 2017 @ 08:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: starwarsisreal

I believe if they gave out a list of specific mental illness it might work a bit more effectively.

Should Alcoholics and addicts be able to buy guns if never convicted of a crime....can o worms, eh?

posted on Apr, 4 2017 @ 08:55 PM
link   
a reply to: starwarsisreal

They would more than likely add anyone who uses ats to that list. Conspiracy theorists is a mental illness?

posted on Apr, 4 2017 @ 08:55 PM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

Um isn't it dangerous for alcoholics to own firearms?

posted on Apr, 4 2017 @ 08:57 PM
link   

a reply to: olaru12

Um isn't it dangerous for alcoholics to own firearms?

Alcohol certainly does affect one's aim. They will probably want to do away with the DUI laws as well.
edit on 4-4-2017 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 4 2017 @ 09:00 PM
link   
Do some checking there were a number of veterans that needed the support of the local sheriff to stop federal agents from forcing their way into their home because a doctor made an arbitrary decision on their mental competency...

If they want to take away Constitutional rights they better use very specific wording or it should be removed.

posted on Apr, 4 2017 @ 09:00 PM
link   
I hunt and I live in a dangerous neighborhood.
I hunt, and I live in a dangerous neighborhood.

Big difference.

Sometimes punctuation is important.

posted on Apr, 4 2017 @ 09:01 PM
link   
The issue was never about guns so much as it was, and is about classifying mental illnesses in the first place.

...And then it is the world and all of us making each other crazu anyway...

link   

Thats why I said depending on diagnosis.

link   

My only problem is there are some people who believe everyone regardless of their condition should own a gun.

diagnosis should mean if the person is a danger to society not just because they are mentally ill.
edit on 4/4/2017 by starwarsisreal because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 4 2017 @ 09:08 PM
link   
I always thought that if you have a mental illness and sought help and or under the care of a psychologist or psychiatrist that you were NOT allowed to buy a gun. Even when I went to a shooting range I had to sign a paper saying I don't have a mental illness and not under the care of a psych doctor. I always thought it was ironic that I got PTSD from an assault, was hospitalized and under a psychologist care and now unable to carry a gun to protect myself from another assault. Yea, I'm not so bad that I'd mistake someone for a perpetrator and shoot them by accident.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join