It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

the image the rest of the world saw on Inauguration Day (graphic photo)

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 2 2005 @ 11:27 AM
link   
This article and the accompaning picture are simply heartbreaking, and provide a graphic account of how great the difference between the way we Americans see our country, and how the rest of the world now looks at us.

The picture on the front page of The Irish Times was a large four-color picture of a small Iraqi girl. Her little body was a coil of steel. She sat knees up, cowering, screaming madly into the dark night. Her white clothes and spread hands and small tight face were blood-spattered. The blood was the blood of her father and mother, shot through the car window in Tal Afar by American soldiers while she sat beside her parents in the car, her four brothers and sisters in the back seat.

I found myself closing my eyes over and over again as I stared at the story, maybe to crush the tears forming there, maybe in the hope that the whole scene would simply disappear.

But no, like the photo of a naked little girl bathed in napalm and running down a road in Vietnam served to crystallize the situation there for the rest of the world, I knew that this picture of a screaming, angry, helpless, orphaned child could do the same.

BBC news announced that the picture was spreading across Europe like a brushfire that morning, featured from one major newspaper to another.... I watched, while Inauguration Day dawned across the Atlantic, as the Irish up and down the aisle on the train from Killarney to Dublin, narrowed their eyes at the picture, shook their heads silently and slowly over it, and then sat back heavily in their seats, too stunned into reality to go back to business as usual....

Here was the other side of the inauguration story. No military bands played for this one. No bulletproof viewing stands could stop the impact of this insight into the glory of force. Here was an America they could no longer understand.

Pres. Bush said in his inaugural address that the US will do everything in its power to reach "the ultimate goal of ending tyranny in our world." He also said that freedom is "the best hope for peace in our world." Yet everyone can see the mess we've made of Iraq; how can the nations of the world *not* view this man and his agenda as a threat? And what must countries like China, Saudi Arabia, Egypt and Pakistan -- who are certainly not lily-white in the human rights area, but *are* giving us assistance in our fight against "terror" and/or the "Axis of Evil" -- be thinking?

posted on Feb, 2 2005 @ 12:02 PM
link   
I think many people should step back and ask themselves what constitutes justification to attack a country that has not attacked us. They should also ask themselves where the fine line between paranoia and self preservation is.

posted on Feb, 2 2005 @ 12:12 PM
link   
I feel for the girl, but if you note, THE CAR DIDNT STOP WHEN TOLD TO !!! If these people are stupid enough not to stop when the friggin military is pointing guns at you, well......

And of course thats what they are going to show. The world media, as well as our own only wants to show graphic terrible images. It sells. The middle east is a volitile area. Its only matter of time before a nuke comes out of there. Despite what the rest of the ignorant, un-informed world thinks, we need to be there. Not only for our own a-s, but yours as well. Do you think the terrorists care if your from Belfast, or Budapest? Nope. Your not a muslim, therefore your an infidel and should be killed. You dont count.

Someone has long needed to step in there and handle this. We ignored it untill it knocked on our door on Sept. 11. They brought the war to us. Whether or not Saddam was involved is irrelevant. Do you think he smiled when he heard the towers fell? Do you think when the sanctions were eventually lifted he was going to turn into a kind, caring leader? No, he wouldnt. The world is a better place with out him

As far as this being a war for oil, if it is, so be it. There is only a limited supply. When things start getting tight, the last thing the WORLD wants is some little dude in the desert making decisions about price and availability. The time to act was now.

Now back to pics....They will put any negative image they can to brainwash you. Looks like its working well. Just remember, over half that country is happy as hell that we are there. Youll just never see that on tv cuz it doesnt sell.

[edit on 2-2-2005 by spliff4020]

posted on Feb, 2 2005 @ 12:24 PM
link   
I don't know about you, but I doubt I'd stop for anyone with guns either. Especially if they're already shooting at you.

posted on Feb, 2 2005 @ 12:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Moe Foe
I don't know about you, but I doubt I'd stop for anyone with guns either. Especially if they're already shooting at you.

Review the motto here..."Deny Ignorance"...now think about that for a second...

We only shot when THEY REFUSED TO STOP !!!! What is hard to understand? We are at war there. They use cars to bomb us everyday. Im sure the guy driving was aware of that. Bottom line..he should have stopped. Dont blame us that, that girl has no dad now. Blame her dad...

posted on Feb, 2 2005 @ 12:28 PM
link   
More out of context terrorist propaganda. I 'm sure the same paper didn't show any Americans plummeting to their death on 9/11. If Europeans are too stupid to filter out propaganda and have such a lack of basic understanding of the real world then it's their problem not mine. I'd be glad to stop giving them my money in foreign aid. They sure love America when you threaten to take our tax money from them.

posted on Feb, 2 2005 @ 12:29 PM
link   
there has never been violence in ireland ???
there was never violence in Iraq until we showed up ???

a newspaper using sensational images to sell papers is anything but news.

europeans can't understand war ?

all poppycock to me

posted on Feb, 2 2005 @ 12:31 PM
link   
If a man with guns pointed at your family tells you to stop and makes angry guestures at you, would you stop?
If you didnt know they where military would you stop?

posted on Feb, 2 2005 @ 12:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by radagast
there was never violence in Iraq until we showed up ???

all poppycock to me

Whats your point and who are you directing it at? Of course ireland has had violence..Not on this scale though.

posted on Feb, 2 2005 @ 12:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by spliff4020
I feel for the girl, but if you note, THE CAR DIDNT STOP WHEN TOLD TO !!! If these people are stupid enough not to stop when the friggin military is pointing guns at you, well......

The fact is, we shouldnt even be OVER THERE TELLING THEM TO STOP THIER CAR!

posted on Feb, 2 2005 @ 12:33 PM
link   
calm down dude, I was commenting on the original article, and the questions were rhetorical

posted on Feb, 2 2005 @ 12:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by radagast

You obviosly dont know irish history, NI conflict?
Still here but has simmered down.

What would you call news then?
A picture of a small child hurt is not news?

Why dont you come to belguim and visit some of the graves there....
Or go to western front, the trenches are still there and you can still find weapons there...

posted on Feb, 2 2005 @ 12:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kidfinger

The fact is, we shouldnt even be OVER THERE TELLING THEM TO STOP THIER CAR!

Thats bs..We are there, so tough. And yes, we DO belong there. The islamic extremists have declared war on US..so, we will fight them wherever they hole up at. If a country does nothing to eradicate them, then we will. They brought this on themselves. Not the other way around.

If a man with guns pointed at your family tells you to stop and makes angry guestures at you, would you stop?

First of all, how did they NOT know its military. We wear uniforms that Im sure they know about....Its the insurgents that wear civilian clothes. Thats a load of BS saying they didnt know....I dont buy it one bit. We have road blocks, humvees and the rest. They knew....Dont even try that...

calm down dude, I was commenting on the original article, and the questions were rhetorical

Im not upset, I just didnt want you to get the wrong impression, thats all. I wasnt insulting anyone..

posted on Feb, 2 2005 @ 12:44 PM
link   

Thats bs..We are there, so tough. And yes, we DO belong there. The islamic extremists have declared war on US..so, we will fight them wherever they hole up at. If a country does nothing to eradicate them, then we will. They brought this on themselves. Not the other way around.

They did NOT bring this on themselves. Bush brought it to them under false pretenses.

Yes, we are there. So why not act intelligent and put up a fricken road block with a car instad of a person? It would seem to me that our troops are being set up for this very thing to happen. If they want these cars to stop, then put up a barrier. Otherwise, we are letting our troops be set up to commit attrocities such as this. This war was fought without one iota of intelligence. It has been one F up after another and it is all due to Bush's greed. We should NOT be over ther.

posted on Feb, 2 2005 @ 12:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kidfinger

They did NOT bring this on themselves. Bush brought it to them under false pretenses.

Yes, we are there. So why not act intelligent and put up a fricken road block with a car instad of a person? It would seem to me that our troops are being set up for this very thing to happen. If they want these cars to stop, then put up a barrier. Otherwise, we are letting our troops be set up to commit attrocities such as this. This war was fought without one iota of intelligence. It has been one F up after another and it is all due to Bush's greed. We should NOT be over ther.

Would you rather wait untill Saddam had a bomb to drop here? Would that be a good enough reason then? Is the world a better place with out him? We went the passive route before. Alls that got us was 3000+ dead americans at the bottom on NYC. This isnt about greed or oil. Its about control. These people were helpless to do it themselves.

posted on Feb, 2 2005 @ 12:48 PM
link   
Spliff, your arrogance is staggering.

posted on Feb, 2 2005 @ 12:48 PM
link   

First of all, how did they NOT know its military. We wear uniforms that Im sure they know about.

Is all military uniform the same?
Civilian men wear camo gear.

...Its the insurgents that wear civilian clothes. Thats a load of BS saying they didnt know....I dont buy it one bit. We have road blocks, humvees and the rest. They knew....Dont even try that...

Really, so you have telepathic now?
How are you supposed to know who is friendly and who is not?
These people have heard 5 diffrent versions of the truth, do you expect them to believe people with guns?
And mate i AM doing this not trying.

Would you rather wait untill Saddam had a bomb to drop here? Would that be a good enough reason then?

Do you really think sadamm would be stupid enough to launch one at ethier of us?
Do you even think he could get one with all the intel services on him?

Is the world a better place with out him?

No, another will take his place or infact like the hydra another 3 will.
Do you want ANOTHER 3 usama's runnning around?

We went the passive route before. Alls that got us was 3000+ dead americans at the bottom on NYC.

HOW F****ING DARE YOU!
Dont you even THINK about using that!
The WTC was an act of terror NOT repeat NOT by iraq!

[edit on 2-2-2005 by devilwasp]

posted on Feb, 2 2005 @ 12:50 PM
link   
This article was incredibly naive and one-sided. It was meant to paint the Americans as cold-blooded murderers.

Face it - the driver did not stop as instructed to. Iraqis are very familiar with checkpoints and the checkpoints are marked with signs, hand signals and sometimes other measures. Not just someone yelling "STOP".

Perhaps the driver was wanted for some past misdeeds, or for his association with terrorists, and chose to take his chances at outrunning the checkpoint. In the end, he lost.

Think of all the troops killed by booby-trapped bodies before saying that they overreacted.

posted on Feb, 2 2005 @ 12:51 PM
link   
Spliff Bloke,
I find it hard to understand where you are comng from (though this may be because anything you say suffers from the distraction of that stupid animated pic to the left). I agree with the others. Do you seriously suggest Europe does not understand war? And also the point of them not stopping, as has already been pointed out...Your troops, and ours from Britain for that matter, should not be there stopping them in the first place. Your response along the lines of "we are there so deal with it" is inadequate, surely?

posted on Feb, 2 2005 @ 12:51 PM
link   
KIDFINGER--------->

A US military statement said troops trying to stop the car used hand signals and fired warning shots before firing directly at the car, killing the driver and front seat passenger

link to it

Yes, they had NO CLUE who we were.....sorry, but self-inflicted...

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join